No tripods on esplanade bridge!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stratix

Oct 13, 2005
Can't believe this. The atreos security people just told everyone to remove tripods on the esplanade bridge. Their reason of doing so, is because the bridge will be crowded. WTF?!

No wonder Singapore can never excel in art. They should just ban photography at marina today. Zzz

what's the issue with Singapore not excelling in art got to do with banning tripod on the bridge?

Cos they need extra legs to make it stable in life to excelling in arts.....

what's the issue with Singapore not excelling in art got to do with banning tripod on the bridge?

cos singapore has one of the most ridiculous rules around. with this, how can anyone think out of the box? duhz.

cos singapore has one of the most ridiculous rules around. with this, how can anyone think out of the box? duhz.

please, loads of western museums and cathedrals ban tripods too

and that's whether there is a crowd or not

no need to get so emo and make such ludicrous statements

if you're unhappy about the rules, sure, go ahead and make noise about them.. but saying that this has anything to do with the state of art in singapore is like saying that a mother banning her daughter from eating peanut butter on sundays will result in the daughter turning into a drug addict 20 years later. :rolleyes:

the 'rule' is very simple - you, and the thousands of other photogs/cameramen/women deploying your thousands of tripods on the esplanade bridge will cause a crowd because, in your eagerness to capture "the" moment, you are depriving other people who have no inclination to photography from watching the fireworks a place to stand.

so rather than dissing the 'rules', think a bit on why it exist in the first place?

Nowadays got ISO 1.2 billion, so tripod quite redundant.

:angel:

No tripod allowed on bridge means no room for creativity? That's what you called in the box... If you can think out of the box then you would have been able to find other (maybe even better) shooting locations.

Gentlemen, I was just thinking...
The Esplanade bridge is, though a good vantage point, still not that long a stretch.
The security people are just worried about obstruction of pedestrian flow.
We can still find other locations to deploy the tripods for the fireworks.
Let's give them a chance to do their work because i think they have a hard time... this being PH eve & everyone enjoying themselves, except them.

At night86mare, I'm sorry but esplanade bridge is hardly any church or musume. It is an open place for godsake.

And in case you guys think I'm another of your typical event chionger, sorry hor. I'll rather keep my tripod and see the fireworks display if it gets too crowded. I'm not the type that will die if I don't shoot. But there is a very big difference between rules that maintain law and order and ridiculous rules out there cos of some brainless officer being too kan cheong.

Oh btw, the aux police just closed the bridge, citing overcrowding. And no. It's hardly squeesy.

And how much space will a tripod take anyway? The footprint of my tripod is barely big enough to deny another onlooker. If you ban those overly huge tripods, I have nothing to say, but this is just dumb! Not to mention, there's event a photography competition as well!

At night86mare, I'm sorry but esplanade bridge is hardly any church or musume. It is an open place for godsake.

And how much space will a tripod take anyway? The footprint of my tripod is barely big enough to deny another onlooker. If you ban those overly huge tripods, I have nothing to say, but this is just dumb! Not to mention, there's event a photography competition as well!

erm..

museum not open place? the most common reason given is that "the paintings and sculptures have copyrights".. and this is given to me with a deadpan face when i am shooting a stairway with none of that in sight.

if you think about it, one tripod laid out takes up the space of one onlooker. unless you want 3 people to gather in every corner where your leg is splayed out.. which means you can't shoot properly anyways.. then it will take up the space of one more person, agree?

And to those replies about the part about creativity, ask yourself honestly, how much restrictions are there when you shoot in the open. 'nuff said.

I'm not sure what tripod you are using, but some can actually occupied quite a large area when fully extended. You must also have to take in the fact that photographers will want other people to maintain a certain distance beyond their "comfort zone" perimeter in order to prevent accidental or deliberate contact with their tripods during long exposure.

Thus taking into the above considerations, a photographer with a tripod fully extended can easily occupied an area in what would otherwise be sufficient standing space for 4 to 5 people, and how many photographers to you expect there to be at the esplanade bridge now?

No tripod no tripod luh. Go shoot something else. Nothing too difficult. :)

It would be sad if the loss of a tripod will severely limit your creativity.

erm..

museum not open place? the most common reason given is that "the paintings and sculptures have copyrights".. and this is given to me with a deadpan face when i am shooting a stairway with none of that in sight.

if you think about it, one tripod laid out takes up the space of one onlooker. unless you want 3 people to gather in every corner where your leg is splayed out.. which means you can't shoot properly anyways.. then it will take up the space of one more person, agree?

Nope. My tripod with legs doesn't deny another person from from watching. Unless you wanna some rubba rubba action, I doubt any tripods will deny people from watching.

And don't forget, they do put in restictions on the amount of people that can be on the bridge at any one time. If tripods are accepted in the past and it was hardly packed, what gives?

And to those replies about the part about creativity, ask yourself honestly, how much restrictions are there when you shoot in the open. 'nuff said.

yawn

i love this sort of statements..

can you name the restrictions out in the open?

this is like saying "there is a boogeyman, it is there, i can't describe it, but it is there!!!!" :bsmilie:

I'm not sure what tripod you are using, but some can actually occupied quite a large area when fully extended. You must also have to take in the fact that photographers will want other people to maintain a certain distance beyond their "comfort zone" perimeter in order to prevent accidental or deliberate contact with their tripods during long exposure.

well, he needs to go victoria peak to shoot on a busy night..

i have to do nearly 10 times the number of exposures during the light show because some kid will wriggle his butt around my tripod...... but oh well, it is just a kid..

Nope. My tripod with legs doesn't deny another person from from watching. Unless you wanna some rubba rubba action, I doubt any tripods will deny people from watching.

And don't forget, they do put in restictions on the amount of people that can be on the bridge at any one time. If tripods are accepted in the past and it was hardly packed, what gives?

Now Singapore population very big. Check out the carparks on weekends, and the streets of Orchard Road. I don't remember them being so crowded in the past. But now more people to shoot streets. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.