No tripod allowed at Raffles Hotel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would point out to the security guard that the tripod holes outside the hotel made by many other CS photographers are evidence that the rule of no tripod is anachronistic, Stanlinistic and unhealthy to the development of night photography in the island. :)

esmondng said:
haha ... u nv know...u may nv know.....
Hmm... Other den walkie-talkies I dun see MRT Security Personnels armed to the teeth.

Gimme those SOC officers patrolling in HK-MP5s anyday anywhere. I'd prefer that den to see an ah pek with a walkie-talkie stopping a terrorist.

Point to note: Always say that u're a tourist. ;)

If they ask you for your passport then how? :p

jsbn said:

jsbn said:

If you're Chinese, say that you're from Malaysia....
If can mock Taiwan or Hong Kong accent.... :bsmilie:

Say you love that hotel and would be recommending it to friends back home.... :bsmilie:

Like that you win lor.

Sion said:
Haven't you got an Epson printer at home?

Which country do you want to tell them you're from? :bsmilie:

chris wong said:
it happen to me before about 5 to 6 years back...i was infront but outside of the hotel,at the exiting of the drive way there..

i think they afraid that you sell the photo for profit or something like that...(the hotel ppl are so "S" "O")

with digital who need a tripod!!!!just set to iso 800 or 1600 and the problem of using tripod is gone...

but if you'll using firm so sorry lah(iso 200)...have to use tripod..unless you use iso 800,which will give alot grain when you blow it BIG....still square one....the hotel ppl will come after you....

:sweat:

i think you never use film nowadays...

vince123123 said:
Yet another case of a building with their own rules.

If you are outside (I'm assuming outside means totally out of the hotel grounds, including driveway, pickup points etc), they can't stop you. If they try to stop you, ask them what is their "basis" for stopping you.

If they say "its hotel policy", ask them: does your internal "hotel policy" extend to areas OUTSIDE the hotel and cover what people do on the roadside as well?

I was standing on on the driveway made of the little rocks actually..just next to the pavement. Couldn't stand on the pavement cos there was a vehicle parked next to it.

He was still insistent that it was hotel policy and that I could check with the hotel if I wanted. I took my tripod and left in disappointment. Didn't take my photo. Couldn't believe that I can't even take a photo!

(Maybe we shall all go there 1 evening..line up with our cams and tripods and see what they say..Hehehe)

reachme2003 said:
hi, the crux of the issue is where were you while attempting to take photos and was stopped from using a tripod. are you on the driveway or on walkway surrounding the hotel and its grounds?

I was standing next to the pavement but on the driveway facing the hotel directly.

Sion said:
I would point out to the security guard that the tripod holes outside the hotel made by many other CS photographers are evidence that the rule of no tripod is anachronistic, Stanlinistic and unhealthy to the development of night photography in the island. :)

hehe..i think abit hard leh. the driveway made of small rocks..uneven and lots of holes everywhere! :p

with this info, i cannot determine conclusively whether you are on their property of not. the point here is if you are not on their property, go ahead and shoot with a tripod or not. if obstructed or stopped by the guard/s, call the police for assistance there. do not leave the place and lodge a police report later. call for police there and wait for them to arrive. let's see who is right.

lurgee said:
I was standing next to the pavement but on the driveway facing the hotel directly.

why should the onus of checking fall on you? if you are sure of your position, dig in and continue taking photos.

lurgee said:
I was standing on on the driveway made of the little rocks actually..just next to the pavement. Couldn't stand on the pavement cos there was a vehicle parked next to it.

He was still insistent that it was hotel policy and that I could check with the hotel if I wanted. I took my tripod and left in disappointment. Didn't take my photo. Couldn't believe that I can't even take a photo!

(Maybe we shall all go there 1 evening..line up with our cams and tripods and see what they say..Hehehe)

Actually the hotel's policy of no tripod within the private area is understandable. Who is going to be responsible if the tripod accidently causes hurt to their guests or anyone who happens to be in the premise? What if the tripod accidently drops and breaks the tiles or marbles or glass, etc... To us the probability is very small but it IS possible.
When one is seen taking photos with tripod at the carpark, there is bound to be others thinking that they can bring in a tripod into the hotel, garden, etc...
Anyway I have been to Raffles regularly and I find the staff there are reasonable and very friendly to anyone, young or old, rich or poor, any race, etc... Kowtow to the management!
While I was a guest in a 5-star hotel in Shanghai, I was rudely stopped by a staff to STOP any photographing in the lobby (which is really simple and plain). The reason is that other guests (who may be VIPs) will not like it.... I accepted the explanation readily (which is reasonable).

lurgee said:

hahaha...agree with u we should go there 1 evening and line up ...imagine a group of ppl line up there...:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

will make the guard blood boil....:bsmilie:

Well the issue here is if its in their private area, you go by their rules, if in areas not within their jurisdictions, any internal policy can be safely disregarded.

Canonised said:
Actually the hotel's policy of no tripod within the private area is understandable. Who is going to be responsible if the tripod accidently causes hurt to their guests or anyone who happens to be in the premise? What if the tripod accidently drops and breaks the tiles or marbles or glass, etc... To us the probability is very small but it IS possible.
When one is seen taking photos with tripod at the carpark, there is bound to be others thinking that they can bring in a tripod into the hotel, garden, etc...
Anyway I have been to Raffles regularly and I find the staff there are reasonable and very friendly to anyone, young or old, rich or poor, any race, etc... Kowtow to the management!
While I was a guest in a 5-star hotel in Shanghai, I was rudely stopped by a staff to STOP any photographing in the lobby (which is really simple and plain). The reason is that other guests (who may be VIPs) will not like it.... I accepted the explanation readily (which is reasonable).

Make sure you're safely outside the hotel area before you do this. And, call me along cos I'd be interested to join in the fun :)

chris wong said:
hahaha...agree with u we should go there 1 evening and line up ...imagine a group of ppl line up there...:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

chris wong said:

But why do you want to make the guard's blood boil?

Suppose you have just installed new marble floor, and your friend came to your house and started putting up the tripod...

Hotels are private properties.

And hotel designs are copy protected to the architect/hotel owner. If we take wedding/modelling/commercial photos there because of the nice decor/architecture/scene, we need to seek consent.

Status
Not open for further replies.