No tripod allowed at Raffles Hotel?


Status
Not open for further replies.

lurgee

New Member
Aug 17, 2003
1,349
0
0
West side
www.39eastimages.com
#1
:dunno:
Hi guys,

Me and my gf decided to go out for some night photography just now and our 1st stop was the Raffles hotel. I began to set up my tripod and a few mins later a staff came up and told me that no tripod is allowed. I asked him why and he just told me that it's the hotel policy. He said that I can take a photo without my tripod.

We were standing outside the hotel facing the lobby. The area where the taxis come in and go.

Anyone had this experience at the hotel before? Anyone knows why no tripod is allowed? :dunno:
 

KNIGHT ONG

Senior Member
Dec 18, 2003
5,792
1
38
PAKISTAN
www.pbase.com
#2
Interesting .. wat I experienced before was that we are not allowed to take outdoor wedding shots in their hotel ... they will chased you away ... :sweat:
 

kit_fisto

New Member
May 25, 2005
133
0
0
32
At home
#3
errrr..wats the difference if u use a tripod or not? wat if u place the camera on a ledge? is he gonna say, "sry, u can use the ledge?? :confused: y not just say no photography allowed? i wonder y man:think:
 

#4
lurgee said:
:dunno:
Hi guys,

Me and my gf decided to go out for some night photography just now and our 1st stop was the Raffles hotel. I began to set up my tripod and a few mins later a staff came up and told me that no tripod is allowed. I asked him why and he just told me that it's the hotel policy. He said that I can take a photo without my tripod.

We were standing outside the hotel facing the lobby. The area where the taxis come in and go.

Anyone had this experience at the hotel before? Anyone knows why no tripod is allowed? :dunno:

No difference if without tripod what!!!
Had used tripod to take pics of the corridor of the hotel, the sitting area beside the courtyard of the Main Building (a group photo)...
And nothing happen.....

But.... Cannot take wedding shots?
or must 'book' first? :eek:
 

kitkat

New Member
Mar 5, 2005
568
0
0
#5
lurgee said:
:dunno:
Hi guys,

Me and my gf decided to go out for some night photography just now and our 1st stop was the Raffles hotel. I began to set up my tripod and a few mins later a staff came up and told me that no tripod is allowed. I asked him why and he just told me that it's the hotel policy. He said that I can take a photo without my tripod.

We were standing outside the hotel facing the lobby. The area where the taxis come in and go.

Anyone had this experience at the hotel before? Anyone knows why no tripod is allowed? :dunno:
I do not have that issue with me yet...

Maybe I am lucky... being doing that several times for past few weeks.
 

lurgee

New Member
Aug 17, 2003
1,349
0
0
West side
www.39eastimages.com
#6
Hi guys,

thanks for the quick reply. I'm just as confused as you guys! It was my 2nd time there in fact. No problems last time too.

I asked him why and he just told me it's hotel policy and told me I could contact them if needed. Maybe I should..heh.
 

#8
Aton said:
use a mono pod:bsmilie:

they can't stop you then.
Use quadpod (4 legs) also can.... :bsmilie:

Look for loopholes in the 'rule' is the key.



No photography using tripod?
Fine.

Use high quality videography with tripod and use the best frame as your photo. :bsmilie:
 

chris wong

New Member
Aug 4, 2005
83
0
0
#10
it happen to me before about 5 to 6 years back...i was infront but outside of the hotel,at the exiting of the drive way there..

i think they afraid that you sell the photo for profit or something like that...(the hotel ppl are so "S" "O")

with digital who need a tripod!!!!just set to iso 800 or 1600 and the problem of using tripod is gone...

but if you'll using firm so sorry lah(iso 200)...have to use tripod..unless you use iso 800,which will give alot grain when you blow it BIG....still square one....the hotel ppl will come after you....

:sweat:
 

jsbn

Senior Member
Jul 24, 2002
2,944
0
0
Planet Eropagnis
#13
esmondng said:
maybe it's a security concern???
Yah. Nice one.

Would a terrorist position himself in such an obvious position to fire a bazooka at a hotel or position himself somewhere out of sight to shoot at a hotel?

And assuming IF the 'cameraman' is hiding a bazooka in the lens which would be triggered off at the snap of the shutter, are the so-called 'security personnel' within the hotel are capable of taking the terrorist down with a shoot-to-kill?
 

jsbn

Senior Member
Jul 24, 2002
2,944
0
0
Planet Eropagnis
#14
KNIGHT ONG said:
Interesting .. wat I experienced before was that we are not allowed to take outdoor wedding shots in their hotel ... they will chased you away ... :sweat:
Thnx for the heads up! I'll know where NOT to go. ;)
 

jOhO

Senior Member
Apr 20, 2003
6,485
0
0
41
Singapore
www.expressivelyjoho.com
#15
chris wong said:
it happen to me before about 5 to 6 years back...i was infront but outside of the hotel,at the exiting of the drive way there..

i think they afraid that you sell the photo for profit or something like that...(the hotel ppl are so "S" "O")

with digital who need a tripod!!!!just set to iso 800 or 1600 and the problem of using tripod is gone...

but if you'll using firm so sorry lah(iso 200)...have to use tripod..unless you use iso 800,which will give alot grain when you blow it BIG....still square one....the hotel ppl will come after you....

:sweat:
wat are u talking about? iso800 film isn't necessarily grainier than a digital sensor at iso800. definitely not if u're taking shots with a digicam.

anyway, i've shot a wedding in there a couple of times, both times they allowed me and the couple to shoot around the hotel, but absolutely no photography in the lobby area. so we just went walk walk around the perimeter and got the shots we wanted. maybe it's not allowed, but no one stopped us, and i wasn't using a tripod.
 

V

vince123123

Guest
#16
Yet another case of a building with their own rules.

If you are outside (I'm assuming outside means totally out of the hotel grounds, including driveway, pickup points etc), they can't stop you. If they try to stop you, ask them what is their "basis" for stopping you.

If they say "its hotel policy", ask them: does your internal "hotel policy" extend to areas OUTSIDE the hotel and cover what people do on the roadside as well?
 

reachme2003

Senior Member
Oct 6, 2003
3,735
0
0
#17
hi, the crux of the issue is where were you while attempting to take photos and was stopped from using a tripod. are you on the driveway or on walkway surrounding the hotel and its grounds?

lurgee said:
:dunno:
Hi guys,

Me and my gf decided to go out for some night photography just now and our 1st stop was the Raffles hotel. I began to set up my tripod and a few mins later a staff came up and told me that no tripod is allowed. I asked him why and he just told me that it's the hotel policy. He said that I can take a photo without my tripod.

We were standing outside the hotel facing the lobby. The area where the taxis come in and go.

Anyone had this experience at the hotel before? Anyone knows why no tripod is allowed? :dunno:
 

jnet6

Senior Member
Apr 21, 2004
8,179
0
36
not here often anymore
#18
vince123123 said:
Yet another case of a building with their own rules.

If you are outside (I'm assuming outside means totally out of the hotel grounds, including driveway, pickup points etc), they can't stop you. If they try to stop you, ask them what is their "basis" for stopping you.

If they say "its hotel policy", ask them: does your internal "hotel policy" extend to areas OUTSIDE the hotel and cover what people do on the roadside as well?
veri gd 1.. thks vince. for reminding us! cheers...
 

Artosoft

Senior Member
Aug 31, 2005
3,710
0
0
Tanjong Katong
#19
Few years back I am taking photo of myself using tripod (timer photo) in the hotel lobby in China. After taking photo, security guard come and say (nicely) that tripod is not allowed in the lobby (where people go there and go here). I asked why, he explain that people may walk and not notice your camera (with tripod, while you are waiting for the timer to take photo), accidentally hit your tripod, and he/she may fall down, or your camera fall down to the floor. Outside the busy lobby is OK he said.

Nice and make sense explanation I think.

Regards,
Arto.
 

esmondng

New Member
Oct 29, 2005
305
0
0
38
http://esmondng.com
esmondng.com
#20
jsbn said:
Yah. Nice one.

Would a terrorist position himself in such an obvious position to fire a bazooka at a hotel or position himself somewhere out of sight to shoot at a hotel?

And assuming IF the 'cameraman' is hiding a bazooka in the lens which would be triggered off at the snap of the shutter, are the so-called 'security personnel' within the hotel are capable of taking the terrorist down with a shoot-to-kill?
haha ... u nv know...u may nv know.....
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom