no post processing. possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oxygn

Jul 1, 2004
Hi all,

was just wondering if one can produce a good digital pic without doing post processing?

The impression i get from photography of old is that u compose, set the proper exposure settings and snap the perfect shot without any post processing of the developed pic. THis would really put the test on the skill of the photographer. But ever since the dawn of the digital age, post processing seems to have become an inevitable step of getting a good pic. So much so that photos that look so nice may not be real anymore. one can turn a lousy pic into a fantastic pic with PS. so a good pic may not be a testimony of a good photographer anymore but one good at ps!

aren't photos suppose to capture that special moment?? are digital slrs such as D70 or 350D and even higher-end dslrs good enough to capture pics that do not need post processing?? is it possible?? or maybe its not possible because of limitations of digital cameras? maybe digital hasn't quite match up to film standards yet? please enlighten me. thanks thanks.

Just some thoughts to share. appreciate your views and insights=)

Thanks,
Colin

It is possible, but why would you give up an opportunity to make an excellent photo just that very bit better ? Post processing has become part and parcel of photography. I do not believe you can make an excellent picture out of a badly taken shot, sure you can make a badly taken shot look very PSed and totally awful to the eye of a skilled photographer. An excellent photograph still requires skill in composing, exposure and other photographic knowhows.
:)

post processing is part and parcel of film photography as well, there's nothing wrong with it. the photograph is only representative of the moment, it is not the moment, how true can it get anyway?

gosh... this topic has been debated like "fried kwey tiao" already...
a short summary...

there are pp who believe in not post processing and vice versa~
it does not mean that dslr cannot produce good pics without processing,
there are lots of pp who can do that, a little processing will help enhance a good pic a lot, e.g., cropping away something distracting at a certain area etc. and you still have to have a good knowledge of photography to use a dslr, it does not mean tat anyone with dslr can take good pics.. =)

on the other hand, post processing can only do so much... you must 1st have a pic that is either already good enough right? if i give you a super over expose/blurred/dunno what pic, i don't think anyone can save it right? :bsmilie:

cheers~

i think all my photos needed to be post processed... they either seemed a little too dark or too hazy... needed to adjust contrast or brightness and sharpness too. However there is this one picture i shot in jpeg and had to download at the office. So didn't do any adjustments. Must be the lens.
2865860-lg.jpg

ps is to digital is like darkroom is to film. that's where the post processing is done. even if you don't have a dark room, when you send your negs to print, the lab will still tweak here and there.

the difference to the consumer/prosumer market and even to professionals, is that the power of post-processing is now transferred to the photographer when he shoots digital, from the lab when he shoots film.

and, i, like many others, take as much advantage of that transfer of "power" as we can. i mean, i shot the photo, i should be able to have a say of how the print should look like. at LEAST, since i was there when the shot was taken, not the lab person, i know what the scene looked like, and can adjust as best as i know how, to what's in my memory.

If your skill of photography is good why not.
Orginal is always the best... :thumbsup:

oxygn said:
Hi all,

was just wondering if one can produce a good digital pic without doing post processing?

The impression i get from photography of old is that u compose, set the proper exposure settings and snap the perfect shot without any post processing of the developed pic. THis would really put the test on the skill of the photographer. But ever since the dawn of the digital age, post processing seems to have become an inevitable step of getting a good pic. So much so that photos that look so nice may not be real anymore. one can turn a lousy pic into a fantastic pic with PS. so a good pic may not be a testimony of a good photographer anymore but one good at ps!

aren't photos suppose to capture that special moment?? are digital slrs such as D70 or 350D and even higher-end dslrs good enough to capture pics that do not need post processing?? is it possible?? or maybe its not possible because of limitations of digital cameras? maybe digital hasn't quite match up to film standards yet? please enlighten me. thanks thanks.

Thanks,
Colin
I thought the same way as u until I really saw with my own eyes... Negatives being POST-PROCESSED.

PS is the consumer/professional digital equivalent of what used to be the old form of post-processing on huge professional minilabs that were taken care of by other ppl (whom u wun noe the skill).

Yes, u can PS. But if u take 100 photos, and u're in a rush for time, u think u can PS all 100 photos? Batch processing is prolly the most unreliable thing ever available methinks.

My worst mistake is to think like u, buy a 300D and expect perfect instant sharpness. Nevertheless, I was shocked at my virgin shots. ;)

Digital photography widens the spectrum of photography itself. It gives the user more control and creativity over his image. In the hands of the right person, it can do wonders. Then again, it is also imperative to use the proper techniques and have the skill to capture the moment in the first place.

i notice that i do less and less processing after i upgrade to 1D, sometimes i just burn the pic directly to CD after the shoot and give to the client liao, of cos i will review all the pic to make sure they are sharp and properly expose. And i believe in doing it right the first time...so i will make sure the pic is properly composed before i snap

may be because my skills got improve but i think it is the camera...

The White balance and metering is so accurate and consistency for Canon 1D. Gone were days when i got to shoot in RAW and adjust WB and exposure in photoshop. Now i only shoot in jpeg and merely resize and USM if necessary :D

The art of producing a print consists of several steps, of which pressing the shutter button is only one of the steps. FYI, even before you press the shutter, the camera manufacturer has already built in some "post-processing", in terms of specifications for the AA filter, sharpening algorithms etc. If you take a direct dump from a camera sensor, it is a pretty awful picture, it needs to be processed before something acceptable shows up on your LCD screen.

Shoot slides... No post-processing involved....

oxygn said:
Hi all,

Thanks,
Colin

Hi Colin,

to answer your question, yes it's possible not to do any post process. and the several factors that can result in that had been mentioned in the subsequent replies.

It's usually thru experience and knowledge of your craft that can yield such 'perfect' results straight off the camera but to be fair, there's limitation to the technology of the equipment as well. Like how the imaging chip captures certain colors and how it processes WB in difficult lighting conditions.

Post processing is just one of the many processes to enhance/ beautify/ repair an image and shouldn't be viewed as an indication of failure (pls note - I used the word failure as a general indication of how post processing is precieved by many purists so dun flame me).

The main thing is how receptive is your client/ audience to your end work that will determine your worth. :)

wow! overwhelming responses! thanks guys! see it with a new perspective now. but hahah. PS cs is still not within the grasp of a normal consumer...hahaha...oh well ...maybe elements would do=) thanks all

Colin

Bean said:
Shoot slides... No post-processing involved....

Agreed... that is where u can see your photography skill before digital SLR arrived...

jsbn said:
My worst mistake is to think like u, buy a 300D and expect perfect instant sharpness. Nevertheless, I was shocked at my virgin shots. ;)

I got no problem on 10D / 20D / 1D mk 2...maybe is the len u used.

actually I think this is a grave misconception that most dSLR converts have ie.get this dSLR and you get instanteous perfect shots... the aftereffects of good adverts? hahah...

I think the basic foundation in photo taking is more important in securing the shot you want, whether it's P&S, film/ slide/ dSLR/ MF/ LF :)

Regardless of the medium, be it negatives, chrome or digital, we should all aspire to get the shot 'right' the first time around.

A good photo may be enhanced & processed into a better one, but there is no PS 'silver bullet' to morph a bad photo into a good one. Remember: garbage in, garbage out.

Status
Not open for further replies.