no post processing. possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
edlye said:
Regardless of the medium, be it negatives, chrome or digital, we should all aspire to get the shot 'right' the first time around.

A good photo may be enhanced & processed into a better one, but there is no PS 'silver bullet' to morph a bad photo into a good one. Remember: garbage in, garbage out.

Quite true....:)

My point of view:
----------------

When the time the Digital Cameras came out, a lot of Film Photographers looked down on using Digital Cameras. They refused to shoot Digitally, and they remained sticked to the Manual Dark Rooms. ... but it wasnt a long time; more than half of these photographers gave up their film and darkrooms, to join the revolution of the Digital Age, and so thus Digital Cameras. (Yes, there are still film photographers today, but I can bet on anything that more than half of them will also join in the Digital age in 5 yrs time.) "It needs some time for some people to adept into the new technologies."

Once we are in the age of Digital Cameras, the digital processing will be involved. If you can create stunning photographs without the post production, yes, go ahead. But if you can make it "better" in the post-production process, then why not? Why would you have to limit yourself "NOT TO DO POST-PROCESSING, BECAUSE OF BLAH BLAH BLAH".

Remember, post-production also needs its own skills. You wont become a good Photoshop-User within a day, by just purchasing the latest imaging processing gadgets today. If you look into the works of the younger generation of Photographers (or Photomainpulators, some old folks might call), they see things from very different angles already, and yes, they DO create stunning photographs with the combination of great shooting, and great post-processing processes.

From what I know, a lot of today's world class PROFESSIONAL photographers use digital cameras and AdobePhotoshop for post-production. They shoot great photos, and make them even more stunning then ever with Post-Processing. I've read several interviews, news, and what equipment they use, etc etc., even the world's top pros use Photoshop.

My point, or my suggestion is,
Try your best to come out with the best pictures direct from your camera,
then use Post-Production Processes to make them even better "as necessary". Dont limit yourself, or you will find yourself behind.

Good luck with your shooting.
You may agree or disagree with my opinions.
Its just my suggestion, and thats the path I am walking.

:thumbsup:

There is a lot of of processing involved before the slides or prints arrived in the hands of film users such that the questions posed are meaningless.

If the developed image is as desired, further image manipulation is not needed. Otherwise, you can choose to throw the photograph away or manipulate it further. This applies to both images developed from film and images developed from digital sensors.

Film will continue to hold certain advantages over CCD/CMOS sensors. But a lack of means to manipulate images developed from film is not one of them. :nono:

In fact, there are many ways to manipulate developed film. Get a pair of scissors and you'll be ready for "cropping" and "Rotating" prints. Buy a black marker pen to repair "red-eyes" and add "text". Scan the film and edit the resulting digital image with the relevant software, etc.

Another long discussed yet still meaningful thread. Let me chip in my views as a slide shooter only.

1. Pressing the shutter release is only 1 of the many steps (as mentioned earlier by others).
2. Post processing is there for you to add/subtract something.
3. There is something call pre-processing (or what I refer to myself), involving all your film used, filters etc whatever you did before you press your shutter release.
4. If you get your settings or stuff right in the first place, depending on what you shoot, there should normally not be any post processing less certain photography, like wedding, portrait, artistic photography etc.
5. But to go further one step in getting that unique photo, post processing is somehow a must to put your thoughts and feel to the photo itself.

i have come across this idea before and i think it can be done with 2 methods combined: (1)use custom curve and (2) in-camera sharpening ( not too much sharpening, just a bit will do).

John Tan said:
I got no problem on 10D / 20D / 1D mk 2...maybe is the len u used.
Not more of the lens, its more of the skill.

I jumped frm P&S straight to DSLR. Thus my learning curve became very large and the misconception that SLR will give even better and sharper images den P&S on any mode gave me my initial shock when I realised how very wrong and unskilled I was with the camera.

Still learning nw. My shots are still like '60-keep, 40-throw' standard. Hope to reach the stage where I can get '99-keep, 1-throw'.

Maybe its just me being lazy lah....but I always think that my DSLR really
need not required me to do much post processing....

My take on this is a bit different to most folks. Firstly each photographer has different levels of what is an acceptable level of image quality. For some folks the standard is low, others it's in the middle and for some it's a very very high standard. Another point to remember, over time your standards are likely to change, as you progress as a photographer you'll likely find yourself cringing at your earlier efforts. If you don't then you are likely deluding yourself as to your real ability behind the lens.

Digital manipulation of images, like a traditional darkroom is a great boon to the photographer, however it is not a panacea for sloppy shooting or a wonder cure that will turn crud in to a silk purse. The sad but often overlooked truth is that the basics of photography still have to be mastered and mastered well in order to produce great images, be they on film or digital formats. There is no way to circumvent this learning process. Digital also can be blamed for sloppy shooting techniques, as there's no real cost involved in shooting away blindly until the photographer gets a good shot by sheer luck. Try this with film and the costs will cripple you quickly.

In the end the technology has changed, but the foundations remain much the same, so folks if you're a newbie, get out there and get on with learning the basics and learn them well.

Status
Not open for further replies.