NO PHOTOGRAPHY - Wheelock Place

Status
Not open for further replies.

wahZe

Aug 11, 2005
Singapore
Guys,

I was walking along Orchard Road taking some photos of the X'Mas lights... came to Wheelock Place and tried to take a picture of the cone from the inside of the building, was told by a Security Guard that photo taking is not allowed. I asked him to show me where is the sign that says "No Photography", he can't produce the sign, just say that Security says cannot means cannot. I wrote in to the management and they just say "sorry" but we have decided that photo taking "inside" the building is not allowed, but "outside" is ok....and to take photo of the inside of the building, I must write in...

I mean, say what???? :dunno:

Any similar encounters????

Guys,

I was walking along Orchard Road taking some photos of the X'Mas lights... came to Wheelock Place and tried to take a picture of the cone from the inside of the building, was told by a Security Guard that photo taking is not allowed. I asked him to show me where is the sign that says "No Photography", he can't produce the sign, just say that Security says cannot means cannot. I wrote in to the management and they just say "sorry" but we have decided that photo taking "inside" the building is not allowed, but "outside" is ok....and to take photo of the inside of the building, I must write in...

I mean, say what???? :dunno:

Any similar encounters????

u try to look like tourist, u use bazooka shoot also nobody care about u...

Inside a building, you have to respect the wishes of the building owner/management. They say cannot then cannot lor.

Got one time, I was taking photos of a LUP (lift upgrading program) worksite. I was on the other side of the road. As I was taking photos, one of the workers crossed the road and asked me why I was taking photos (he was quite friendly). I told him for personal use only lah. He seems satisfied and just smiled and went back to work. After a few minutes, another guy (from the way he talks, I presume he's some kind of foreman or supervisor) asked me why I take photos never ask for permission. I told the bugger this is a public place wat. He LPPL. But I try to chat him up lah, seems like his concern is that I may be one of those safety officers trying to look for worksite safety violations or something that's why he scared scared. I told him I not safety officer lah, just a crane maniac (there was a large Demag crane at the site) taking some photos. He seemed sceptical but I didn't get any more trouble from him. :bsmilie:

Had a similar encounter at wheelock place too, i didn't notice any "no photography" sign when i went in so i just walk in to take photos and was approached by the security guard. He told me the building management do not allow photography inside. The security guard was quite friendly and polite so i complied.

Taking photos of a none protected building outside of it's grounds is not an offense.

You can shoot the entrance of a building from across the road, no matter what the guard says, as long as you are outside of the grounds, no one can do anything.

Inside a building, you have to respect the wishes of the building owner/management. They say cannot then cannot lor.

Got one time, I was taking photos of a LUP (lift upgrading program) worksite. I was on the other side of the road. As I was taking photos, one of the workers crossed the road and asked me why I was taking photos (he was quite friendly). I told him for personal use only lah. He seems satisfied and just smiled and went back to work. After a few minutes, another guy (from the way he talks, I presume he's some kind of foreman or supervisor) asked me why I take photos never ask for permission. I told the bugger this is a public place wat. He LPPL. But I try to chat him up lah, seems like his concern is that I may be one of those safety officers trying to look for worksite safety violations or something that's why he scared scared. I told him I not safety officer lah, just a crane maniac (there was a large Demag crane at the site) taking some photos. He seemed sceptical but I didn't get any more trouble from him. :bsmilie:

You might be right about construction worksites. Once when I just finished shooting Kampong Lorong Buangkok, I was waiting for another friend to come out. Opposite the kampong there's some construction site. As I was just sitting one corner reviewing my shots, this driver of a dump truck that was exiting the worksite stopped his vehicle, exited and ask me I come here for what. Said I was taking photos, and then he ask again, take what photos? He had a very concerned look. I just said take of the kampong inside, lor. And he left me alone.

But still, generally in Sg, street photography in populated areas very difficult. Take photo of kopitiam from a distance, the uncle will walk far-far towards you and ask you what you doing? Wanted to take photo of my old sec sch (which was since vacated), from the outside, the jaga said cannot. As for private buildings, it's always the "cannot means cannot" rule. Maybe they should just explain things a little, even if it's just a bs excuse.

You might be right about construction worksites. Once when I just finished shooting Kampong Lorong Buangkok, I was waiting for another friend to come out. Opposite the kampong there's some construction site. As I was just sitting one corner reviewing my shots, this driver of a dump truck that was exiting the worksite stopped his vehicle, exited and ask me I come here for what. Said I was taking photos, and then he ask again, take what photos? He had a very concerned look. I just said take of the kampong inside, lor. And he left me alone.

But still, generally in Sg, street photography in populated areas very difficult. Take photo of kopitiam from a distance, the uncle will walk far-far towards you and ask you what you doing? Wanted to take photo of my old sec sch (which was since vacated), from the outside, the jaga said cannot. As for private buildings, it's always the "cannot means cannot" rule. Maybe they should just explain things a little, even if it's just a bs excuse.

As long as you're outside the building's plot, you can take photos of it without flouting any law.

i just hate to encounter this type of thing.

once, (a place in the south), when i was shooting, this old uncle hit my back and say:'xiao di di, what you doin!?' (in chinese)

i told him fun lor, he say: 'you so small play what play?' you take more i call mata!'

got very angry and told him to die early bef i walk off:angry:

You know those newspaper PGs who take photos of those people outside the Sub Courts ? Those "subjects" all use umbrella and newspaper to cover their face one, how come they don't sign the model release but their photos still can appear in newspaper ?
I think I read somewhere that the police allow you to take photographs in a public place as long as you don't do illegal things like outrage ladies' modesty or stuff like that.

i think the foreman is just worried u might have caught some evidence of dubious work or something....normally they are usually afraid of people complaining with evidence and all this sort of things. heh

Soon everywhere will be like that :)

i find usually double standards usually happens....find a big sized plump caucasion, ask him dress up like a tourist and bring a mean looking camera in there to shoot. Usually they won't stop him. For locals, we will be approach and threatened to have our cameras/film/memory card confiscated. Maybe locals are more likely candidates of looking like terrorists. :p

i find usually double standards usually happens....find a big sized plump caucasion, ask him dress up like a tourist and bring a mean looking camera in there to shoot. Usually they won't stop him. For locals, we will be approach and threatened to have our cameras/film/memory card confiscated. Maybe locals are more likely candidates of looking like terrorists. :p

I tried to take photo inside Parkview Square, but was stopped by the guard. And guess what?

My Caucasian friend managed to take notjust one, but many shots inside.

ya... tats y its always privilege to look like angmo in sg... every security guard think u are god... even if u are a delivery man... ppl also think u demigod...

And don't ever take photos at bus interchanges and MRT stations. You will be sent to the security office for terrorist check.

I tried to take photo inside Parkview Square, but was stopped by the guard. And guess what?

My Caucasian friend managed to take notjust one, but many shots inside.

Yah it happens with our local forces as well....with the recent Bush visit NUS thingy too...
they were so calm when the angmoh girl was holding the umbrella....
if it was a local or asian in the first place....probably whisked away in less than 5 mins...lol

oh btw...happy belated birthday!
=)

Status
Not open for further replies.