'No Photography' Plz...

yeobt

May 23, 2007
i hate to see anti social n anti photographer signs like the above.
lately, when i was walking around, i saw a few shops with the
unfriendly sign. it reflexes badly on our image as a singaporean
becos it makes some tourists look so unwelcome especially when
the sign is show in a tourists area like orchard n china town.

as a photographer, how would u react to the sign? :embrass:

No reaction to the sign since I rarely shoot when I'm in my own country.

This country of mine had became so unfriendly towards photographers that I decided leveling myself up is much easier overseas than in Singapore.

i would think theres a damnn ugglyyy perrsssooonnn around that the shopkeepers want to save my lens from.

Singapore is definately a photography unfriendly place. Worst, if you are a tourist, a caucasian tourity, these signs generally do not apply. If you are part of a big bus load of tourists, these signs do not apply also.

Seems they are for locals only.

Singapore is definately a photography unfriendly place. Worst, if you are a tourist, a caucasian tourity, these signs generally do not apply. If you are part of a big bus load of tourists, these signs do not apply also.

agreed.

I was harassed by over zealous shop lot owners and security guards on my recent walkabout the other day. it was only when I started speaking that they backed off and allowed me to take some pictures.

I wanted to meddle with them for a while by interlacing my speech with specks of singlish and broken english, but I figured the entertainment I'll get out of it is next to nothing.

I have also given up shooting in public locally .... :dunno:

Let's ee.

Outside Fullerton 1, by the water, with tripod and a model. Security guard came and gave me hell when a bunch of German speaking tourists were shooting happily everywhere. Idiot said, photography is not allowed on private property. I just wonder, do they also owned the entire promenade outside by the water?

In front of the Scarlet Hotel. We are ON THE SIDEWALK, shooting a model. Idiot manager came out saying that we cannot shoot the hotel. Why not I said. She said we might sell the picture. So, it's guilty before the crime?

Chimjes, was there with another photographer, she is American. We have 2 other friends, females, with us. I got harassed and she did not. One of my friend videoed the entire thingy with her mobile phone video cam. We lodged a formal complaint to Chimjes management, she got a reply and I did not. Nice going guys!

2 friends and I were shopping at one of the store on the ground floor of Paragon, one facing Orchard Road. Together we bought enough to buy an L lens, and it's not the f4 varieties. Friends want to take a picture of themselves in front of the display window. So I wiped out a PnS, took a few shot, and at the corner of my eye, a mad woman came out asking me what are we doing. I said it's none of her business, call the police if she wanted to, and if she did, we would want to return everything we just bought. She backed off. I wrote to the company's HQ in the US, got an apology. But so what, there will always be a sour taste in the mouth.

This is my favorite one. I was staying at one of the 5* hotel in Singapore. I was a guest. I was told, by another idiot wearing the hotel's uniform, that I cannot shoot the hotel lobby. I ask why? The answer was, I am using professional camera. It was my 20D and my friend, she was using a Leica. Oh well. Of course, what do you expect DP to do in this particular instance. I spent the next hour chewing more holes into the front desk manager, the duty manger and then the resident manager. I was compensated, but I should have have to have this experience.

And then ...

Shooting a model in front of HSBC headquarter in Hong Kong, on the tram track, on a Sunday morning. Police came by, told us to be careful, don't get run over by the tram.

Shooting a nude outdoor in one of the gardens in suzhou. Security came by and ask what's going on. My mandarin is well, what mandarin. The 2 security guards knew what was happenning, we smoked a cigarette or 2 together, shoot went on, they kept watch, all went well.

Last edited:
my cameras are mostly in my dry box unless i am going overseas...

cos 1, nothing much to shoot.
2, nothing worth to shoot.
3, nothing better to shoot.

all i will say is if anyone comes and tries to pull this bs i'll tell them to call talk to my lawyer.

Well, we gotta get used to it. These are people's properties, and if they don't like it, they have the right to restrict photography.

:bsmilie: "No photography, please." - This seems like a must-know job jargon for security guards. ^^

i think unless we r shooting inside someone's property, if is shooting someone's property
from the outside, on the street, i dont think n i will not obliged to his order. is a public
place n i will continue shooting n get him to call in a police.

i'm going to write to STB regarding the topic which i saw signs displayed in some of the
street stalls for the CNY in chinatown. i cant accept this type of behaviour. :cry:

Well, we gotta get used to it. These are people's properties, and if they don't like it, they have the right to restrict photography.

:bsmilie: "No photography, please." - This seems like a must-know job jargon for security guards. ^^

True.

But, the rule is not applied fairly and evenly.

The rule is stupid. how can you strict photography at a tourist spot? How can you restrict photography in a hotel, where tourists stay.

Such attitude, "we gotta get used to it" is exactly what we don't need. We need to complain, we need to educate, we need to exercise our rights ang not be judge as a criminal before the crime has been committed.

Tourists, especially caucasian-looking people seemed to be imune to such "rules". :thumbsd:

Nope. Even agn mohs get scolded by the over-zealous security guards at Central mall for taking pictures.

Him: "Owner doesn't want you taking pictues!"

ang moh: "Owner owns this public street I'm standing on, huh?

Him: "Yes!"

:confused:

When I was in Japan and Australia, I got stopped from taking photos too what.

Maybe this is due to the paranoid attitude of people due to the bombing and the terrorists act in Mumbai. They had spend weeks taking photographs of the hotel before they assaulted the place.

I would presume that the instructions given to all the security guards due to this reason and I can understand their predicament. But they should probably check the person out in terms of their passports/ic/work permit and verified if they are indeed locals...... and not to totally restrict the freedom of these enthusiastic photographers.......

Let's ee.

Outside Fullerton 1, by the water, with tripod and a model. Security guard came and gave me hell when a bunch of German speaking tourists were shooting happily everywhere. Idiot said, photography is not allowed on private property. I just wonder, do they also owned the entire promenade outside by the water?

In front of the Scarlet Hotel. We are ON THE SIDEWALK, shooting a model. Idiot manager came out saying that we cannot shoot the hotel. Why not I said. She said we might sell the picture. So, it's guilty before the crime?

Chimjes, was there with another photographer, she is American. We have 2 other friends, females, with us. I got harassed and she did not. One of my friend videoed the entire thingy with her mobile phone video cam. We lodged a formal complaint to Chimjes management, she got a reply and I did not. Nice going guys!

2 friends and I were shopping at one of the store on the ground floor of Paragon, one facing Orchard Road. Together we bought enough to buy an L lens, and it's not the f4 varieties. Friends want to take a picture of themselves in front of the display window. So I wiped out a PnS, took a few shot, and at the corner of my eye, a mad woman came out asking me what are we doing. I said it's none of her business, call the police if she wanted to, and if she did, we would want to return everything we just bought. She backed off. I wrote to the company's HQ in the US, got an apology. But so what, there will always be a sour taste in the mouth.

This is my favorite one. I was staying at one of the 5* hotel in Singapore. I was a guest. I was told, by another idiot wearing the hotel's uniform, that I cannot shoot the hotel lobby. I ask why? The answer was, I am using professional camera. It was my 20D and my friend, she was using a Leica. Oh well. Of course, what do you expect DP to do in this particular instance. I spent the next hour chewing more holes into the front desk manager, the duty manger and then the resident manager. I was compensated, but I should have have to have this experience.

And then ...

Shooting a model in front of HSBC headquarter in Hong Kong, on the tram track, on a Sunday morning. Police came by, told us to be careful, don't get run over by the tram.

Shooting a nude outdoor in one of the gardens in suzhou. Security came by and ask what's going on. My mandarin is well, what mandarin. The 2 security guards knew what was happenning, we smoked a cigarette or 2 together, shoot went on, they kept watch, all went well.

We want Forlenng Taelenggs ok? Not any kopitiam hogging, singleeese speaking local fotogarfers. :devil: Muahahaha.:sticktong:sticktong:sticktong

all i will say is if anyone comes and tries to pull this bs i'll tell them to call talk to my lawyer.

Maybe we should have a T-shirt with a message:

C A L L M Y L A W Y E R
1800-98765432

Maybe we should have a T-shirt with a message:

C A L L M Y L A W Y E R
1800-98765432

there's an idea...i am sick of these property owners who think they also own the sidewalks that their buildings are on though...

Hehe they should amend the sign to say "No Photography....(except for tourists)".

Hahaha :)