No photography onboard SIA aircraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

whizzard

Mar 7, 2009
Bkt Timah
I just found out that photography is not allowed onboard a SIA aircraft.

I was flying to Sydney earlier this week and decided to take some photos in the plane whilst I was at my seat. The steward came charging at me and gesturing rather rudely that photography is not alllowed onboard an aircraft.

Wonder if anyone encountered the same? I wasn't even using a flash or intruding on any of the passengers' privacy. Sigh .....

I didn't get that response. Instead, the air stewardess asked me if I am a professional! :D
You can always write to SAA_Feedback@Singaporeair.com.sg citing your experience.

Most strange.
For many, taking a plane is an exciting experience.
And they just want to record that experience.
Well... unless the stewardess is very pretty and the TS is taking shots after shots of her... haha... just joking...

strange, i was snapping during take-off, in the air and landing and didn't face any such interference and it was during my last 3 trips.

The only reason I can think of that they would disallow it would be during takeoff and landing - that thing about electronics 'interferring with aviation equipment' claim of airlines. But I've taken pictures during flights itself for years now and have never been stopped.

what were you shooting at? does your shot include other passengers on the plane?

he must have been a shopping mall security guard before joining SIA

After takeoff when they already started their inflight service.

Mind you, I didn't even leave my seat to snap ..... sigh.

well, theoretically based on announcements you are not supposed to use electronics during take off and landing.

other than that there is no reason to stop you from using the camera.. unless you have been taking cheeky pictures of air stewardesses er, bending over. but i doubt that was the case!

I've never had problems taking pictures on a plane, in flight. I don't think there is a rule saying you can't do so, unless you were over some sort of "national interest" site, like the Pentagon or such.

Most strange.
For many, taking a plane is an exciting experience.
And they just want to record that experience.
Well... unless the stewardess is very pretty and the TS is taking shots after shots of her... haha... just joking...
Actually, I intended to just shoot the stewards and stewardesses at work and use that as a topic for my photo assignment homework.

what were you shooting at? does your shot include other passengers on the plane?
No, I wasn't explicitly shooting the other passengers ... if they were in my shots, they would be incidental/background as the main subjects were the stewards and stewardesses at work.

well, theoretically based on announcements you are not supposed to use electronics during take off and landing.

other than that there is no reason to stop you from using the camera.. unless you have been taking cheeky pictures of air stewardesses er, bending over. but i doubt that was the case!
Yeah, I am aware of that and hence decided only to shoot when the plane was cruising. Anyway, managed to snap only 5 photos before I was stopped.

Another Caucasian in an adjacent seat was also shooting away but I don't think he got stopped and he was using his in-built flash (which was more intrusive) whilst I didn't even use any flash.

Well, I have dropped a note to SIA already and waiting for their explanation.

I have no such problem with Singapore Airline either. Perhaps the camera you were using told a different story.

I was using a humble 5DII with a 35 1.4f. No grip, no flash. No cheeky shots either :)

Anyway, I asked to talk to that particular steward. When he came, he told me that photography of the flight service onboard the aircraft is not allowed, so in order not to create a scene (with 9/11, got to be very careful how one behaves on board an aircraft), I asked that he write his name, the flight number and the date on a piece of paper and hand that over to me.

Let's see what is the response from SIA. There goes my photo assignment topic. Got to think of another topic.

I was using a humble 5DII with a 35 1.4f. No grip, no flash. No cheeky shots either :)

Anyway, I asked to talk to that particular steward. When he came, he told me that photography of the flight service onboard the aircraft is not allowed, so in order not to create a scene (with 9/11, got to be very careful how one behaves on board an aircraft), I asked that he write his name, the flight number and the date on a piece of paper and hand that over to me.

Let's see what is the response from SIA. There goes my photo assignment topic. Got to think of another topic.

I guess it's not whether you are using a 5D or a 500D. But, rather you are using an DSLR.

Actually, I intended to just shoot the stewards and stewardesses at work and use that as a topic for my photo assignment homework.... Anyway, I asked to talk to that particular steward. When he came, he told me that photography of the flight service onboard the aircraft is not allowed,

The steward mentioned that the photography that is not allowed is specifically "Shooting the Flight service"... meaning the steward and stewardess at work... that is touchy I guess.

Last edited:
I guess it's not whether you are using a 5D or a 500D. But, rather you are using an DSLR.

As I am into photography, I would like to advocate that both DSLR or PNS should be the same; both are cameras. So, its either no photography or photography allowed and that should be made clear and impartially implemented to all passengers regardless of colour.

Plse don't let them tell you that you are not allowed because you are using DSLR but if you are using a PNS, M4/3 or a Leica, that is allowed.

Don't let them discriminate ..... its either no photography or photography allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.