No ( or rare ) EXIF data ?

bobgosling

Jan 14, 2010
Bedok Road, Singapore
Am I doing something wrong or missing something ?:dunno:

I often see snaps that I admire on these fora but the posters do not often give details ( camera + lens + f-stop + shutter + ISO , post processing, etc ). These kind of details are really useful for some of us to learn how to get the same kind of quality. E.G. If a photo has been taken at f2.8 1/250th 300mm with a Canon L series lens on a D1 body I know I'm not going to get the same kind of sharpness from my rig !

I have tried "Save as" then examining with Windows Photo Gallery ( and other apps ) but EXIF data is rarely present.

Am I doing something wrong or is it normal for such details to be omitted ? If so, can I make a plea for posters to try to supply such info whenever possible ? Please !!!

hi, the reason why i remove the exif is not because i don't like to share the info, is because can save a few kb , since exif also takes up information..

storage on sites like pbase, not no limit, you know?

you can very simply ask for the information, most of the time people who have dumped the exif are more than happy to dig through their files to find the information you want. :)

other than that, for WEB SIZE PHOTOS, let me tell you that what camera was used is not important at all.

can you , for example, say for sure whether this was taken with pns or dslr?

36338_10150208117995405_745615404_12958538_3233255_n.jpg

i can safely tell you, that i can't.

The author probably intentionally removed the EXIF data.

sometimes the author might not be the one who removes exif data. I have discovered flickr and deviantart pics do not have exif data. This could be due to their upload engine reproducing the images in different sizes and removing EXIF to minimize the size of download (smaller size images means faster u will see the image). However, most will have the actual original upload for download, esp when the image is for sale. the original will have the EXIF data, unless author removed it too.

I often see snaps that I admire on these fora but the posters do not often give details ( camera + lens + f-stop + shutter + ISO , post processing, etc ). These kind of details are really useful for some of us to learn how to get the same kind of quality. E.G. If a photo has been taken at f2.8 1/250th 300mm with a Canon L series lens on a D1 body I know I'm not going to get the same kind of sharpness from my rig!
Free yourself from that belief. It is nice to know about these details but not essential when it comes to taking good pictures. Do you want to simply copy settings? That's what we see here multiple times: "What are the best settings / lens / camera for wedding / school party / dance club / beach / [you name it]"? It's pointless to answer, conditions change and each situation requires a different approach. Why do you think you cannot achieve the same image with a lower end camera? See night86mare's example. Google about "composition", understand your equipment. Here a link about images taken with Canon A620: http://photo.net/photodb/presentation?presentation_id=317651
Does it really matter which camera has been used?

I rarely look at people's exif data. I look at their picture and have it in my mind. When I have the chance for me to shoot similar picture, I will then recall how the pics look like and I will then adjust my own settings to the condition of the environment that I am in and shoot from there.

What if you discover that the photo was taken at F1.0? Are you also going to buy a F1.0 lens just to shoot that particular photo? Or you are going to tell yourself that I will never be able to produce such a photo because I do not have a F1.0 lens?

Photography is an art, every photographer have their own unique style and equipment. Go develop one for yourself.

TS, people remove EXIF info, let them remove lor. Nothing to do with you anyways. It is their pictures, they can do whatever they want with it. They don't owe you anything btw.

Do note that certain actions in PS will also automatically kill all EXIF info, like opening a new file, and pasting a new selection into that file. No exif will be available that way.

Some old cameras do not have EXIF files.