No need for Lens Hood if you are using CPL filter??

ammonite

Feb 24, 2009
As above, if you put on a polarizer filter in front of your lens, the filter should remove any possible flares (direct sunlight on the lens) hence it is not necessary to use the lens hood?

I don't think CPL removes flares, but it would be quite cumbersome to adjust the filter if you have the lens hood on.

haha TS I think u got a wrong idea of how the cpl filter n hood works.. cpl filter actually allows light to enter in only 1 direction. hence when used u wun see much reflections n oso the skies r much vibrant! however cpl filter oso stops down a lil due to it being dark.

hood on the other hand is to prevent stray light frm all other angles. if u dun use hood, light might fall off at awkward angles to ur filter n thus creating flares.

normally ppl use the exclusively because there is no way u can turn the cpl filter with your hood on!

of course you may put the hood back on after you had adjusted the poloriser. but too much a trouble.

the purpose of lens hood is to prevent any stray light strike on the front element of the lenses.

the purpose of CPL filter is to polarize the lights.

two are different things, I can only say using lenshood with CPL is less convenient, not say don't need lens hood. If you think or certain that no stray light cast on the CPL filter, than you can do away with the lens hood.

I haven't seen any filter that can remove flare. Most of them will rather introduce it ...
And turning CPL with lens hood .. some people make a problem out of everything .. There are more important things to worry or lose hairs about.

My lens hood has a slot to turn the CPL. :p

But as stated, a CPL and lens hood serve totally different purposes.

Usually i leave the lens hood on even when I am using a C-PL, for the simple purpose of protection. Its actually possible to adjust the C-PL with the lens hood fitted on certain lenses, just be careful and you'll be able to turn the C-PL using the front rim without touching the glass :)

good to note the difference.

i recently brought a lensbaby shade/hood (with 37mm to 52mm) so as to reuse my 52mm CPL. will there be any effect if my cpl is attached on the front rather than on the lens?
CPL-hood-lens

also, any effect/difference if the combination is:
CPL-hood-uv-lens?

or should it ideally be:
uv-hood-cpl-lens?

You won't need a lens hood because you'll be shooting at right angle to the sun when using CPL.

I won't use the UV filter if I'm using the CPL.

I'll just say one thing ... (real) professionals MINIMIZE the possibility of any (unfortunate) or potentially un-predictable what ever.

It's all about minimizing RISK. ;)

CHEERS!

Sorry to interrupt. For cpl to be effective, we need sunlight coming from left or right side. But with the hood blocking the sun ray, will the cpl still work? I do not have a cpl yet. thus trying to imagine how it looks. ;p

u cant turn the cpl if you attach the hood.

so..
no hood.
Yes you can if you use a filter system such as Cokin. You can add hoods to the front but beware of vignetting since it is not the original hood for your lens.

Borrow the image from Amazon:
21NR%2BP0fgJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

of course you may put the hood back on after you had adjusted the poloriser. but too much a trouble.

This how I do during sunny day. Not trouble, just need a bit more time before shoot.

Sorry to interrupt. For cpl to be effective, we need sunlight coming from left or right side. But with the hood blocking the sun ray, will the cpl still work? I do not have a cpl yet. thus trying to imagine how it looks. ;p
the light should be coming from an angle that is perpendicular to the direction you're aiming/shooting for maximum polarization. But it doesn't mean the light must be shining INTO the camera from the sides :)
There's a difference :)

You're trying to imagine what the filter looks like, or what the outcome looks like?