No more stop at 1 (for some and under certain conditions)

ricohflex

Feb 24, 2005
sing
Finally.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-24957303

• looming demographic problem of ageing population
• drastic PRC gender imbalance, too many males and less females due to cultural preference to continue family surname.
• too few youngsters to support many old folks
• not enough workers for PRC industries in future
• not enough recruits for their military

Now PRC is not as poor as in the 1960's. Some can afford to have more than 1 child.

Singapore changed course from its stop at 2 policy earlier. But we are very much smaller country and easier to make quick changes in policy. Big behemoth like PRC, harder to stop momentum and change direction.

Last edited:
Singapore changed course from its stop at 2 policy earlier. But we are very much smaller country and easier to make quick changes in policy. Big behemoth like PRC, harder to stop momentum and change direction.

the bigger you are, the more people will feel it when it slams in and out :)

With changing lifestyle... hard to imagine young couple willing to have more than 2 kids now a days... :bsmilie:

With changing lifestyle... hard to imagine young couple willing to have more than 2 kids now a days... :bsmilie:

What about letting Singapore men to have 2 or 3 wives? The second and third wives can be from Vietnam, Cambodia or Mongolia.

That would be enough incentives I guess. :)

Gov need to ban bubble gum's cousin, birth rate will skyrocket :bsmilie:

Gov need to ban bubble gum's cousin, birth rate will skyrocket :bsmilie:
And the medical research industry specialized in a certain for of immune system deficiency (not to mention the related pharmaceutical companies) will be trigger happy about all the new guinea pigs.

And? Did this change in policy changed the people's behavior a tiny bit? Does Singapore again has a birthrate of more than 2?
There are demographic changes that happen in every country at a certain level of development. It would be wise to acknowledge this instead of drafting funky policies that miss the point by miles.

Singapore is unique in the sense that we are small and we can easily import talents from big countries like China and India to fill in the gap of our population shortfalls. :)

We are not like Japan who has to worry about preserving their "racial purity".

Last edited:
What about letting Singapore men to have 2 or 3 wives? The second and third wives can be from Vietnam, Cambodia or Mongolia.

:bsmilie: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

That is only for the very rich guys (top 5%) :bsmilie:

The rest of use cannot afford it.

I believe CSers also don't want to get permission from 4 wives to buy DSLR & lens :bsmilie:

And? Did this change in policy changed the people's behavior a tiny bit? Does Singapore again has a birthrate of more than 2?
There are demographic changes that happen in every country at a certain level of development. It would be wise to acknowledge this instead of drafting funky policies that miss the point by miles.

The high cost of living, high housing cost and poor infra-structure (infant care/child care facilities) will stop people from having more babies :bsmilie:

Some factors in Singapore affecting birth rate

• marriages happen later and the female miss the child bearing biological clock window
• couples put career first before starting family
• worry about cost of bringing up children
• either marriage partner infertile or due to sickness cannot conceive and they adopt
• some singles of both sexes put career first and don't even marry
• some singles due to low economic/education status have difficulty finding local wives - this is real
• married couples purposely do not want to have any children because they think it is too much trouble
• some singles of both sexes are very choosy and think all potential partners are not good enough for them.
• too much emphasis on the 4 Cs.

Last edited:
true. i have seen colleagues rushing home from office citing that their boy/girl is at child care. they would be fine by the child care if they are late. furthermore, child care teacher face black black when they come pick them up exactly at closing time. usually i find them very irritated around 6pm as they prepared to leave work for their kids. they would be very upset if got last minute arrow. then i will hear them calling their wife and next they would start to quarrel over picking up their kids from childcare. that is the typical day too bad, both parents need to work to survive to pay off housing loan, food, milk powder, child care fees, bread and butter case..

Eh ... Starting to scare me leh .... My 1st kid coming soon :(

true. i have seen colleagues rushing home from office citing that their boy/girl is at child care. they would be fine by the child care if they are late. furthermore, child care teacher face black black when they come pick them up exactly at closing time.

usually i find them very irritated around 6pm as they prepared to leave work for their kids. they would be very upset if got last minute arrow.

then i will hear them calling their wife and next they would start to quarrel over picking up their kids from childcare.

that is the typical day

too bad, both parents need to work to survive to pay off housing loan, food, milk powder, child care fees, bread and butter case..

The problem is Singapore over-educates its women to the extent they don't want to be full-time housewives. :)

We are now facing the dire consequence of too many career women and not enough kids. :bsmilie: