No matter how I clean the filter, there is always stains

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjackal

Jul 9, 2008
Been trying for 2 hours, very frustrated.

At first I try the lens paper way, one piece wet with alcohol, wipe, then the dry piece finish up. No joy, there is always alcohol drying stains somewhere.

Then I try using cloth instead, same! :angry:

I am tearing my hair out in frustration. Nearly run a 100m dash to bang head. I know there must be a similar thread somewhere, but I couldn't find my answer after a search.

I am using those free cleaning kits, no brand lens paper...

Will buying a lens pen help?

The most worrying thing is, did I destroy my filter coating? Hoya HMC...

Don't try too hard on a Hoya :bsmilie:

Try a lenspen. Does wonders. :)

This is why I am strongly against no brand lens paper and any liquid lens cleaning agents. You never know what they will do to your optical coatings.

hmm... have been using those pure alchohol from guardian. seems to work fine.. i suppose as long a the substance is not a composite liquid of various compounds should be quite safe ba.

Lens Pen? where to get it? maybe i should try too.... i have the same prob with TS as the Hoya filters seem never be cleaned totally... which is why nowadays i compromise lor...

Get a clean,lint free cloth and/or tissue paper

Get a cup of warm water

Check to make sure no dust/hard particles on filter surface

Hold the filter above water for some condensation

Then Clean

sjackal said:

At first I try the lens paper way, one piece wet with alcohol, wipe, then the dry piece finish up. No joy, there is always alcohol drying stains somewhere.

Then I try using cloth instead, same!

I am tearing my hair out in frustration. Nearly run a 100m dash to bang head. I know there must be a similar thread somewhere, but I couldn't find my answer after a search.

snapperholic said:
hmm... have been using those pure alchohol from guardian. seems to work fine.. i suppose as long a the substance is not a composite liquid of various compounds should be quite safe ba.

Lens Pen? where to get it? maybe i should try too.... i have the same prob with TS as the Hoya filters seem never be cleaned totally... which is why nowadays i compromise lor...

its a thorn in the eyes when we cant clean it totally...but if yu are worried about it affecting your image quality, yu need not worry...its too far away from the sensor to affect the image :) so u dun have to try too hard cleaning ur filter..juz my 2cents
but of course I have experience this too :D

Get a clean,lint free cloth and/or tissue paper

Get a cup of warm water

Check to make sure no dust/hard particles on filter surface

Hold the filter above water for some condensation

Then Clean

Eh, try not to use tissue.... i have a very bad experience with that.. alot of it got stuck on the filter... unless what you meant is the lens tissue.....

Agreed on the dust and hard particles which is why i always use my bazooka blower to clear the surface of the filter before cleaning the filter itself......

Second Calebk.

Lenspen works really well for me ;)

Its nearly 4 hours and I am still trying. I used up the 50 page lens paper booklet. I think its the streaks that I can't get rid of.

Its nearly 4 hours and I am still trying. I used up the 50 page lens paper booklet. I think its the streaks that I can't get rid of.

Erm. Haven't you read any of the replies given?

Yes I read but somehow when I compared it to my other lens/filter, it looked really cloudy. I wonder if the coating is spoilt?

Yes I read but somehow when I compared it to my other lens/filter, it looked really cloudy. I wonder if the coating is spoilt?
why not just try the lenspens solution as mentioned by calebk with the link attached?

Are you using rubbing alcohol? Some brands of rubbing alcohol include small amounts of vaseline in them. ie oil.....

Do you wear specs? You can use the cloth you use to clean your specs to clean your filter. If you don't, go to a specs shop and buy one. Ask for microfibre cloth.

I use 100% alcohol to clean. I got it from a lab. If you don't have access to 100% alcohol, then vodka works well also.

face it,could be the filter
i used to have a hoya cpl
and cant get the stains off too
throw it away and get a better 1

Then I try using cloth instead, same! :angry:

What alcohol you used? Try misting up the filter with your breath and try again...

I clean my Hoya too hard n it got scratched. :( I think u should stop cleaning now n try again when u got ur lens pen. :)

I clean my Hoya too hard n it got scratched. :( I think u should stop cleaning now n try again when u got ur lens pen. :)

yeah haha agree ts should stop cleaning the lens coating of his should be gone already by now after cleaning it for so long

Status
Not open for further replies.