No love for the E-M5 mkIII?

iguoh

Oct 23, 2005
I am curious who in the forum is still using the original E-M5 like me and considering if he/she should upgrade to the latest MkIII? I am still wondering if the pre-order price with freebies is compelling enough. Has anyone decide to go for it? Care to share your thoughts?

No comments after one day! This doesn't bode well for the EM5.3. I can't believe the original EM5 came out 7 years ago!

The right strap lug is still badly placed and digs into the right hand when gripping the camera.
A fact that most reviewers choose to ignore.
With the exception of the EM1 series, ergonomics for Olympus are very poor.
I used to have the EM5, it really needed the optional grip to be useable.
Says a lot about ergonomics when the Pen F, EM5, EM10 all need the expensive grips to have decent useability.
N.B. I didn't even discuss the limited dynamic range, high ISO noise and JPEG smearing and the smaller battery capacity

The right strap lug is still badly placed and digs into the right hand when gripping the camera.
A fact that most reviewers choose to ignore.
With the exception of the EM1 series, ergonomics for Olympus are very poor.
I used to have the EM5, it really needed the optional grip to be useable.
Says a lot about ergonomics when the Pen F, EM5, EM10 all need the expensive grips to have decent useability.
N.B. I didn't even discuss the limited dynamic range, high ISO noise and JPEG smearing and the smaller battery capacity

Just tested the EM5 Mk3 for about 2 hours in a Street Photo workshop by Olympus.

I don't think the reviewers choose to ignore the right lug. Honestly, I did not even notice
the right lug. The overall feel is quite ok except it is a little small for large hands like mine
(I am 1.78m tall).

As someone with Canon 5D Mk2, 7D Mk2 and several other cameras, I do agree that
Micro 4/3s cannot match these cameras.

BUT HEY! That is not comparing Apple to Apple, given their larger sensor size, weight
and price.

And, how often do you really need the extra resolution?
For me, 95% there is no difference, for photos which I print up to A4 size for my photobooks
or share on Social Media. And most light situations don't need me to have the extra ISO or dynamic range?

I am curious who in the forum is still using the original E-M5 like me and considering if he/she should upgrade to the latest MkIII? I am still wondering if the pre-order price with freebies is compelling enough. Has anyone decide to go for it? Care to share your thoughts?

I've actually pre ordered one. Seems like the price is lower than other countries' and matches what a lot of other forums were considering as fair price for it. I have the em5.1 and 5.2.

Reasons
-size and weight
-c-af phase to better catch my kids
-water resistance, I actually bring the camera into the water play areas at the zoo and gardens by the bay etc.
-USB charging (I use third party chargers with a power bank atm)
-all of the things the em5.2 does.

I used to have a 5dmk2 with the 24-105, and stopped using it cos of the size and weight. The em5.1 was perfect for me with the 12-40. Was toying on buying the em1.2 for the c-af and grip as I bought the 12-100. But now I've the pl 12-60 which is lighter than the 12-40 and the em5 seems the best option for me.

I don't have any EM5, but have the Panasonic GX8 and G9 and I still ordered the EM5 Mk3 after trying it out at the Olympus Street Photo workshop. The main reason being
1) Very Light, Compact yet capable enough for all my needs
2) It now has Phase Detect and improved focus points to 121
3) Really like the Pro Capture feature

Kudos to Olympus for organizing the workshop to test the EM5 Mk3 during an event with a Ballerina Model jumping around for us to try the Pro Capture mode. I would not be so convinced to get the EM5 Mk3 if I had not tested it out at an event like this.

Washing all the EM5 Mk3 (with sealed lenses ONLY) in the fountain is also very convincing on how good the seal is, but really, I still would not do that when my new EM5 MK3 arrive :)

Reactions: iguoh
I saw a photo of the Olympus EM5 Mk3 and the right lug which sticks straight out at the side and is not angled at the front corner of the body.
If you have large hands, it may poke into your hand when holding it. Some may give opinion that they hardly notice after using it.
But I think any reasonable person will agree it is NOT the best design decision to build it like that.
Because if it is was a good design decision, then 90% of the cameras made by other brands would have something similar.
That is, it would be near universal in acceptance. Which is not the case.
What on earth was Olympus thinking?
Presumably, Olympus wanted to stay true to the original design concept from historical models.
Probably a case of form (the look) being an important aspect of the design.
One possibility for this design choice, is that the right lug was made this way for users to attach the original Olympus CSS-S110LS Genuine Leather Hand Strap.
This camera, like the Pen F Digital, was made for Street Photography, where you hold it in one hand with the hand strap as you walk.
Ready to capture any scene that you come across.
I saw the Olympus Pen F Digital and it seems to have a similar right lug.
I checked the original Olympus Pen F (film camera) from 1963 and it sports a similar (smaller) right lug.
The lugs are bigger today because some of the new MFT lenses are big and heavy; compared to the small and light lenses made for the 1963 original half-frame film Pen F.
However, a friend who uses and likes EM5 Mk2....... is not looking to buy the EM5 Mk3.
Recently he has been seriously considering the Sony A9 Mk2.
An indication of where the market is shifting.

Last edited:
However, a friend who uses and likes EM5 Mk2....... is not looking to buy the EM5 Mk3.
Recently he has been seriously considering the Sony A9 Mk2.
An indication of where the market is shifting.

During an Olympus workshop on Street Photography (for Olympus Customers),
I was told they sold about180 EM5 Mk3 just from the Morning session. It shows
how many Olympus customers wanted the Mk3.

I do agree that some customers may progress to larger cameras for better
resolution or dynamic range, but I don't think that is the trend.

There are lots of people like me who love the size of Micro Four Thirds, and
for the photos I take, I think it is well within the range of what a Micro-Four Thirds
can offer (20Mp & Very Reasonable Dynamic Range).

Actually a lot of enthusiasm exists, but more generalised forums like this are not particularly active among m43 users. Casual participants may be led to believe there are no interest. Over at the Club Olympus FB group for example, there's a lot of action.
I’m interested myself but will need a try out. It’s been many years since I’ve used an E-M5 series so I’ll need to re-familiarise myself and evaluate how it fits into my current systems.
I think Olympus is one of the few manufacturers targeting small (small is relative term I know) but high performance and the EM5.3 is essentially an EM1.2 in a small and light package. But one seeming disparity is the lack of weather sealing on some of their small primes. Whether you believe the marketing term, at least its presence inspire some confidence shooting in all elements.
For me, the biggest challenge though is actually the UI shooting multiple systems as muscle memory is hard to shake.

Hi,

For those that have handled EM5.3, how would you say is the build quality vs EM5.2? Some have taken issue with the plasticky build.

Also, the EM1.2 in other countries is also priced quite attractively, and not that far off from the EM5.3 pre-order price. Currently using EM5.2 and unsure whether to get EM5.3 or EM1.2

Hi,

For those that have handled EM5.3, how would you say is the build quality vs EM5.2? Some have taken issue with the plasticky build.

Also, the EM1.2 in other countries is also priced quite attractively, and not that far off from the EM5.3 pre-order price. Currently using EM5.2 and unsure whether to get EM5.3 or EM1.2

I have the em5.2 and have rented the em1.2 on occasions.

I like the new body of the em5.3. It still feels solid. The deeper grip and thumb rest is so much better than the em5.2.
Didn't really notice the weight change.
Dials and all still feel nice.
Smaller view finder is really negligible unless I kept changing cameras and was looking out for it.
The right lug never was a bother, but I didn't have a strap on it, and I can't remember if the triangle strap thing was on it.
Honestly never would've noticed it's plastic straight away if not told. I guess you can see it on the finish of the top plate.

The feel of the em1.2 is sturdier and chunkier, but I don't need that. The em5.3 has a nice compromise between the em5.2 and em1.2. I can dangle the em5.3 with 3 fingers with my 12-100 on.

AF is faster than em5.2 in a very dimly lit area.
The caf on video is way better, faster and confident.

Battery went down half with almost 3 hours constant use, video, bursts, pro cap modes, switching on off a lot to change lenses, shot about 400ish shots, but pro cap is about 200ish shots I think? Then there's a lot of bursts here and there to try the c-af.

The silver actually looks nice. I usually prefer all black.

What would I like on a small camera now on top of what the em5.3 gives?
Charging while operating for star trails, low batt.
That raw file editing, using the olympus workspace and the cameras truepic engine like the em1.2 and em1.x.
USB C to hdmi to easily connect to the tv. So I don't need to dig for the mini hdmi cable anymore.

Hand held hi res maybe? But I don't use the normal hi res anyway. I'm happy with 16 to 24megs.

Last edited:
Thanks all. And to add to the dilemna, the EM1.2 in overseas markets (with official local, non international warranty) is selling at the same price as EM5.3...

Pre-orders were sold out before the due date so I guess there is still interest after all. I am curious why Olympus chose the limit the pre-order quantity instead.

Probably because Olympus in their heart of hearts, know that pre-order statistics may be a case of {preaching to the converted}. If the Olympus MFT user base is not large, then the commercial success of EM 5 Mk3 depends on being able to attract large numbers of NEW buyers who are not yet invested in the system. And being able to achieve this in the face of stiff competition from competing brands/ models / systems of other new cameras being introduced. There is competition within the approximate price range. There is also competition for buyers who are prepared to pay more, to see what alternatives they can get and how much better that would be - when they buy more bodies, lenses and accessories in a chosen system, far into the future. Or it may be buyers who want something small and light for their impending tour; and they are not bothered about the long run or distant future. In that case, Sony A6600 and Canon EOS M6 Mk2, Fuji and Leica CL are potential rivals with APS-C sensors that are 30% bigger than MFT. Especially when you look at photos taken with Leica CL and 35mm F1.4 Summilux-TL ASPH providing a 52.5mm equivalent focal length.

Last edited:
Pre-orders were sold out before the due date so I guess there is still interest after all. I am curious why Olympus chose the limit the pre-order quantity instead.
Was told that they only 200pcs to Singapore for the first batch.
But could be a marketing gimmick too to make potential buyers
"gan cheong" and grab it :)

Was told that they only 200pcs to Singapore for the first batch.
But could be a marketing gimmick too to make potential buyers
"gan cheong" and grab it :)
I guess so. It didn't work for me. I was still deciding and was surprised to receive the email that it was sold out. :cool:

I guess so. It didn't work for me. I was still deciding and was surprised to receive the email that it was sold out. :cool:
Ha! Ha! I guess I took the risk of becoming a sucker. When they announce 180 of the 200 EM5.3 has been sold, the guy beside me and one more behind me start taking out the mobile phones to place the order. I end up taking out my handphone too to place an order too!

But having used the following mirrorless: Sony 6100, Panasonic G9, Panasonic GX8 during the last 12 months, I really find that the EM5.3 is really nice (in terms of placement of the controls). I have since sold my G9 to finance the EM5.3. The rest are still being used by my family members.

Only a rumor. This rumor is fresh dated 12 Nov 2019. We will see.

• MFT small sensor size (hard to compete with APS-C and full frame and larger)
• vast improvement in mobile phone cameras (killing the digital compact lower end market)
may have something to do with the demise.
So Olympus gets squeezed at both ends of the market. It is a business decision not to continue.

If it is reality later on, then got to commend Olympus for a good try in consumer digital imaging.
I still like and keep Maitani designed OM1 MD body. (film camera).
Olympus remains strong in medical scoping.

I did try go shopping for some Olympus digital cameras some time ago. The salesman who was supposed to pitch the sale to me, instead told me not to buy then.
He said Olympus will lelong later on, quite soon. Wow. He told me to go back later and can buy at lower price. But would I want to anymore?
Hmm... maybe. Pricing is everything.
This story is real. Not fiction.

Afternote: Olympus has denied the rumor. Wait and see. Imaging Division comprise 5.5% of consolidated revenue. It is a small slice of the pie.
Even if Imaging Division is bleeding red ink, the other profitable divisions can carry the load. Remember what Thomas Cook said before it suddenly shut down.

Last edited:
Only a rumor. This rumor is fresh dated 12 Nov 2019. We will see.

• MFT small sensor size (hard to compete with APS-C and full frame and larger)
• vast improvement in mobile phone cameras (killing the digital compact lower end market)
may have something to do with the demise.
So Olympus gets squeezed at both ends of the market. It is a business decision not to continue.

If it is reality later on, then got to commend Olympus for a good try in consumer digital imaging.
I still like and keep Maitani designed OM1 MD body. (film camera).
Olympus remains strong in medical scoping.

I did try go shopping for some Olympus digital cameras some time ago. The salesman who was supposed to pitch the sale to me, instead told me not to buy then.
He said Olympus will lelong later on, quite soon. Wow. He told me to go back later and can buy at lower price. But would I want to anymore?
Hmm... maybe. Pricing is everything.
This story is real. Not fiction.

Afternote: Olympus has denied the rumor. Wait and see. Imaging Division comprise 5.5% of consolidated revenue. It is a small slice of the pie.
Even if Imaging Division is bleeding red ink, the other profitable divisions can carry the load. Remember what Thomas Cook said before it suddenly shut down.
I really hope Olympus keep its camera division. It is doing such a good job.
I have used Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Sony and Olympus and honestly,
Olympus gave me the best user experience. The Olympus Club is what every
manufacturer should be doing!

A sad + hilarious (in hind sight) video by Kodak in 2007, about 5 years before it filed for bankruptcy. Kodak at a very late stage did try to go digital but it was too little too late; and Kodak's digital products were inferior to competitors. Clinging on the old paradigm, Kodak was in denial for too long. It has lessons for Olympus.