Status
Not open for further replies.

glennyong

May 2, 2004
Singapore
<Original Message>

Message: Hi, i would like to make an enquiry, why does the D-70 doenst
have a vertical grip ? i have come across a website where they have a
created a vertical grip for the D-70 and it looks great. Will there be one ??

<Replied Message> <From Nikon Singapore>

Good Day ,

To make a marketing differences between the D70 and D100, D70 is positioned as a lower performance camera than D100. Therefore certain features are removed from the D70 including the Vertical Grip.

Look closely as to what she says.... D70 is a lower performance camera then D100.... Therefore certain features are removed from the D70 including the Vertical Grip. and why is this so ? to make a difference.... =.-!! :bsmilie:

glennyong said:
<Original Message>

Message: Hi, i would like to make an enquiry, why does the D-70 doenst
have a vertical grip ? i have come across a website where they have a
created a vertical grip for the D-70 and it looks great. Will there be one ??

<Replied Message> <From Nikon Singapore>

Good Day ,

To make a marketing differences between the D70 and D100, D70 is positioned as a lower performance camera than D100. Therefore certain features are removed from the D70 including the Vertical Grip.

Look closely as to what she says.... D70 is a lower performance camera then D100.... Therefore certain features are removed from the D70 including the Vertical Grip. and why is this so ? to make a difference.... =.-!! :bsmilie:

i think they afraid tat D100 value will drop if D70 come wif Vertical Grip.. :nono: but on the other hand.. Vertical grip for D70 oso can them alot of $$$ :sweat: Anyway hope to see is there any third party to manufacture the vertical Grip on the market soon :p

yar.. i think there will not any third party to manufacture the grips as they will be violating the design patent for Nikon, therefore... i can say that.. its fated that D70 will not have the grip..... :cry:

Sigma is too scared to do that...
Tamron is too afraid....

Kenko is too hum
while Canon is out of the topic....

so... whos left ??? obviously rite ?

NIKON !!! Get ur designers and design some grips for the D70s !!!!
and yes.. its a threat... if not... i will go get my D2h / D1x.... i mean it !!! :blah:

i think its not too wise a move by nikon :think:

Hi D70 users,

The vertical grip for D70 is avaliable, the real hero who is "Chinese Manufactor" to make it happen, it is selling in China now that I learnt from my Hong Kong friend. :)

Well, when the 3rd party vendors start making enough on the market, Nikon might just change their mind and design a grip for the D70.

Even if it comes with a grip, there won't be any practical usage as it'll just allow double EN-EL3s to run with the D70, there'll not be a vertical shutter release nor main/sub command dial. Would you pay for a holder just to hold 2 batteries? I think not.

Wise move by Nikon to segregate the D70 from the D100 in one move. Unlike some other brands which segregate by stripping features. :)

MCS said:
Hi D70 users,

The vertical grip for D70 is avaliable, the real hero who is "Chinese Manufactor" to make it happen, it is selling in China now that I learnt from my Hong Kong friend. :)

Are you by any chance referring to this personal Korean mock-up attempt?

As for the vertical shutter release issue, someone has suggested intergrating the ML-L3 remote into the housing to provide that function.

D70 Mock-up Grip Part 1
D70 Mock-up Grip Part 2

vert37.jpg

espn said:
Even if it comes with a grip, there won't be any practical usage as it'll just allow double EN-EL3s to run with the D70, there'll not be a vertical shutter release nor main/sub command dial. Would you pay for a holder just to hold 2 batteries? I think not.

Wise move by Nikon to segregate the D70 from the D100 in one move. Unlike some other brands which segregate by stripping features. :)

Yeah, stripping the grip is not as bad as stripping functions or pure performance. I and i guess most still can live without a vertical shutter release or 2 batteries, since this is not designed to be a pro cam from a purely technical point of view (material of body, seals, mounting big mama lenses).

But if 3rd party still comes out with a grip for $150 or so, i guess a lot of people will still get it even though functionally it doesn't serve much compared to a real/originally designed vert grip. Basically can look more pro, even though we clearly know it won't improve your pics. :bsmilie:

2100 said:
...even though we clearly know it won't improve your pics.
Actually, it will improve you pics as it gives you a firmer grip of the camera (reduce camera shake), especially if you have very large hands and/or are shooting in the portrait format.

SzennyBoy said:
Actually, it will improve you pics as it gives you a firmer grip of the camera (reduce camera shake), especially if you have very large hands and/or are shooting in the portrait format.

That is if the vertical grip has the 2nd shutter working in good order. ;) I think the longer right hand side won't be that useful for our asian hands.

What will be really useful is that you add a vertical grip, then you can add in those padded palm straps and your palms/fingers won't be that sore for a long day's shoot.

SzennyBoy said:

I agreed men..!! :cheergal: GIVE ME Five :gbounce:

2100 said:
That is if the vertical grip has the 2nd shutter working in good order. ;) I think the longer right hand side won't be that useful for our asian hands.
True, the vertical shutter must work first! ;p
I personally need the longer grip, otherwise, my little finger woesn't have a proper resting place.

What will be really useful is that you add a vertical grip, then you can add in those padded palm straps and your palms/fingers won't be that sore for a long day's shoot.
The AH-4 strap can be used on bodies without the grip as well. I personally use one (on a D1H & F5) and it does reduce the pressure on the palms and fingers a lot but it transfers the load onto your wrist instead. With prolong usage, that will eventually start to ache... :(

2100 said:
I don't think asian hands are that small anymore with today's diet.:p

I find the either heel of my palm or last finger hanging off the edge on cameras without a grip. A vertical grip gives a firmer grip and improves balance of the camera even when held in landscape format. This is especially true when heavier lenses are involved.

MCS said:
Hi D70 users,

Could provide more details?

I think there is a Chinese company who produced OEM grip. They produce grip for F801, F70, etc. I think it is not too difficult for them to produce grip for D70. May be can try to find it from this chinese site :- www.xitek.com ;)

Cheers

Zerstorer said:
I don't think asian hands are that small anymore with today's diet.:p

I find the either heel of my palm or last finger hanging off the edge on cameras without a grip. A vertical grip gives a firmer grip and improves balance of the camera even when held in landscape format. This is especially true when heavier lenses are involved.

You guys have real big hands. I am 1.74m tall, wear 10.5 size shoes and i still have 0.5cm of space on the right hand side grip on the D70. :) And the D70 isn't exactly big.

SzennyBoy said:
The AH-4 strap can be used on bodies without the grip as well.

I have come across the AH-4 on the net before, but where can i find it in SG shops? Never seen it floating around before. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.