No clear help here for bounce card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrailsofLife

Jul 6, 2004
Singapore
I just searched the whole site on "how to make a bounce card". There are alot of talks, but no real instruction. It will be good if the moderator or anyone can do up a step-by-step instruction and put it up here for newbie to read and follow the steps to make the bounce card. Like what sfhuang did for the "step-by-step DIY CCD cleaning".

Also what's the best size and material, where to get?

:cheers:

I saw that site... What I think is CS should have this kind of page here so newbie no need to search forum for it.

Anyway, instruction should be very technical and simple.

oh, i do remember seeing a page in cs about how to make bounce card
cos tt time i made 1 too

There are no set rules in making a DIY bounce card. Generally you get the rough idea from the earlier posts made here and go make one yourself. what material/what size/how to attach is all up to what u can get ur hands on.

One fella used a video tape cover, another bought plastic sheet from art friends. Some used rubber bands, another used the velcro from his no.4. Haha~
Try some creative thinking ya? ;)

Less mistakes mah. Anyway, here so many people have done one, so I believe there ought to be a size that works best. I saw huge ones before and small one about the width of a flash. So which one works best?

use own creativity to make one.
encountered once that i forgot to bring my diy bounce card to a charity event. was the event photographer. so what i did was grab a paper plate from the buffet table and start to cut out the shape. Luckily the paper plate was a white one. Using a rubber band i tied the b/card to my flash.
viola, a replacement within minutes.

if i'm not wrong, size determines how soft u want the bounced flash to be. So how do u want to use the bounce card? :dunno:

hihi,

just made my own bounce card a week ago.. up for comments pls..

bounce_card.jpg

Hi, what's the effect of this size of bounce card? Size determine the softness?

I want soft shadow.

Just to share a little of my own experience in making a DIY bouce card.

1. Find a table calandar (those with a "A" stand with wire-o bindnig on top)

2. Remove wire-o and all the calandar flips (i.e. Jan, Mar, May, July, etc)

3. Trim and cut away the foldings on the flattened "A" stand.

4. Cut one side of the cardboard into size to fit your flash.

5. Paste velcro on card board.

Sorry I do not have a digital camera to take pictures of my DIY bounce card. But if you are really interested in having one, I can give one to you F.O.C. ;) And perhaps after getting it, you can post pictures of my bounce card here. :D

Expecting answers to be served on a silver platter?

Bounce cards are mostly home-built, I've seen some fairly standard ones utilizing a simple card and rubber band, and some very creative ones using thick art house cardboard glued together origami-fashion to fit over the flash head, and yet fold flat into the camera bag afterward.

I've once loaned my brother my spare flash for the auto show back in June and his friend fashioned a simple (yet effective) bounce card for him on the spot from brochures obtained from the show because straight-on flash gave him harsh shadows.

So you see there's a great variation of how you can do it, not really any right or wrong way, as long as the intended purpose is achieved.

You have to experiment to see what suits you, get creative, and use that grey matter in between the ears a bit.

I hope what I say does not get misconstrued as being elitist or unwilling to share, but I guess this saying says it best:

"God helps those who help themselves"

This question had been asked numerous times...Anyway
Maybe the following links can shed some lights for you.

Make use of google.com to search clubsnap forums, it will give you some reasonable returned results.

Alternatively, go to www.dpreview.com or some others.
I beliff you can find more the adequate information on DIY your own bounce card..

http://www.google.com.sg/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=DIY+flash+bounce+card&meta=

http://www.google.com.sg/search?as_...as_sitesearch=forums.clubsnap.org&safe=images

Cheers!

:)

alternatively....if u wanna fully utilize the light...take a piece of paper and use it as u would a bounce card ....see how big the flash area is on the paper...then cut out the desired area....paste on board...use....all light utilized....

theres also something about the shape of bounce cards haah...

r32 said:
Expecting answers to be served on a silver platter?
Chuckle... :)
Maybe it would be better to have an Omnibounce served on the silver platter instead. :p

Looks like the topic has been fairly well discussed; shall not add any of my opinions here. :)

Hi all,

Thankyou those who showed and shared their experience. I shall ignore the rest whose sarcastic :flame:, spoons and platters not needed here. go and tell it to the pro who ask for help.

I shall share with those who wnt to learn, my experiment:

I tried three size altogether, 10cm, 15cm and 22cm. I realised that 10 and 15cm are the best, the shadow is soft and the highlights are not burnt, 22cm tend to make foreground a tad too bright and it lit up a bit too much.

My verdict, or rather my recommendation would be 10 to 12cm :thumbsup:

Material: can get from art shop at Bras basah complex, about $3.00, can make a dozen :bigeyes: . mine is a little yellow, it cause the subject to be a little warm which is nice when you should portraits or human subjects.

Shape: I used a square or rectangle(1:1.15 ratio), circle don't work because side is bit vignette, triangle works fine.

Hope this will help the next guy or gal who search for help :) her and just use their creativity on shooting better photo.

Remember: help those who need help, selflessness is a virtue.

:cheers:

swerve said:
hihi,

just made my own bounce card a week ago.. up for comments pls..

bounce_card.jpg

may I know what is the effect of the sliver side ? ;)

Reyon said:
may I know what is the effect of the sliver side ? ;)

haven't had a chance to test it properly.. apparently, its to diffuse the light.. hence got to crumple the alumnimum foil.. but then, haven't got the chance to see what's the difference..

Status
Not open for further replies.