No Brainer to some

Status
Not open for further replies.

nokin

Dec 18, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
This may be a no brainer to some, but help me understand.

I have an OEM DVD burner, it states that it's a DVD +RW/+R.

1. Does this mean that I can use DVD +rewritable and +R discs for re-write(+RW), read/write(+R) with this burner?

2. Can I also use -R discs for same purpose as above?

3. This device allows me to play DVD movies and it states that I can change region codes up to 5 times to allow me to play different region discs. Then it will be locked at the last region change. Is there any way to unlock this code and have the device permanently be able to discs from all regions?

Thanks

nokin said:
This may be a no brainer to some, but help me understand.

I have an OEM DVD burner, it states that it's a DVD +RW/+R.

1. Does this mean that I can use DVD +rewritable and +R discs for re-write(+RW), read/write(+R) with this burner?

2. Can I also use -R discs for same purpose as above?

3. This device allows me to play DVD movies and it states that I can change region codes up to 5 times to allow me to play different region discs. Then it will be locked at the last region change. Is there any way to unlock this code and have the device permanently be able to discs from all regions?

Thanks

if it only state DVD+RW/+R, then i think it probably can only burn and read one format (which is the +RW/+R)..and -RW/-R cannot be used.

there are some websites with software for flashing the firmwares of the drive to a multi-regioned one.

try this link : http://etna.rpc1.org/

NOTE: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

rncw said:
if it only state DVD+RW/+R, then i think it probably can only burn and read one format (which is the +RW/+R)..and -RW/-R cannot be used.

there are some websites with software for flashing the firmwares of the drive to a multi-regioned one.

try this link : http://etna.rpc1.org/

NOTE: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

Thanks mcw for the link, guess there may some risks involved huh?

Anyone tried this before?

nokin said:
Thanks mcw for the link, guess there may some risks involved huh?

Anyone tried this before?

i'm using a dual format dvd writer myself, and the drive was flashed by a friend. i've flashed dvd-rom drives before, and for me, it's pretty easy.

...BUT, there're always the risks (like half way during the process, your power supply unit blow? black out? ...etc)

rncw said:
i'm using a dual format dvd writer myself, and the drive was flashed by a friend. i've flashed dvd-rom drives before, and for me, it's pretty easy.

...BUT, there're always the risks (like half way during the process, your power supply unit blow? black out? ...etc)

So I can only use the +discs. But what is the difference between the + and the - discs.

What will happen if during the flash process, the power unit blows or flash process hangs. Will I have to throw away the burner and buy a new one?

Status
Not open for further replies.