No Bokeh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, see this example... bokeh enuff?

your subject has to be much closer to your camera than the BG.

Here's another example :

subject is almost at minimum focusing distance, and the cat at the back was about 1.5m away...

A04.jpg

like this? but i feel not as sharp as your pic...is it my skill or lens need calibration.

(forgive the over exposure)

Unsharp picture maybe due to motion or handshake, not necessarily only OOF.
like this? but i feel not as sharp as your pic...is it my skill or lens need calibration.

It looks like the focus point seems to be wrong, seems to be focussed more on the foreground then the car. But in order to get a shallower Depth of Field, you need to get closer to the car or use a telephoto lens. 50mm F1.8 focal length does not create shallow enough depth of field at that kind of distance. :)

Refering to the first picture in the post, hehe!

Last edited:
A04.jpg

f/2.8 1/800", 50mm. Needed min shutter speed = 1/75". The pic is not focus properly instead of camera shake. Also, trust your camera, use P or A mode as starter, and leave M mode until you know what you're doing.

i'm not a mathematical person
i feel the car is too big + you are standing too far from the car + background too near to car

if whole car clear, bokeh will be little
if partial car clear, bokeh gao gao
otherwise, use flash to cheat

A05.jpg

Is this focus ok...

A05.jpg

Is this focus ok...

yes... looks much better.
Once again because the entire car is in view, that means you were quite far away with the 50/1.8, hence the background is just slightly blur. Can't help it. That's about as good as it gets.
I'm not sure if using 35/1.8 and then going closer to get the same framing will help.
Anyone?? :)

For the same subject size (on frame), the DOF is almost the same for the same aperture regardless of the FL of the lens used. The bokeh may appear different thou.

I'm not sure if using 35/1.8 and then going closer to get the same framing will help.
Anyone?? :)

If the subject is already moving, make sure you DON'T move as well.... the focus will go off.. :bsmilie:

The car is a better example. Just keep trying and you'll figure it out..

Thanks for all the pointer/comment and explainations...I will continue to calibrate myself:D.

Status
Not open for further replies.