No autoroam in Japan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

togu

Jul 11, 2002
@ D08
www.tommygui.com
Heard that our hp can't be used in japan, cos of some different network or something. Any suggestions what should I do?

Will be there for a week. :think:

use a 3G phone, have a 3G-enable subscription with ur mobile service provider and double-check wif ur roaming status. there's either vodaphone or ntt docomo there

Sorry missed that!

If it's only a week, then you can rent one on arrival at the airport - this is NOT a cheap option.

Otherwise, just go without - it's only a week.

Try this

http://www.rentafonejapan.com/

I was there for 10 days, paid 4100jpy in rental and 1270jpy in usage.
It was a j-phone; lots of coverage from Tokyo to Mt Fuji! and everywhere in between.

They sent the phone to my hotel room before I arrive. I picked it up and turned it on, and started calling everybody I know in Tokyo! Cheap per minute usage for me.

YMMV.

Thanks all for your advise. I'll probably work out to rent a phone. It's for my wife, she needs to call back to talk to her boyfriends... :confused:

I was there for 10 days, paid 4100jpy in rental and 1270jpy in usage.

1000yen is about er.. SGD$14? 1270jpy for usage? I assume you made local calls only? :think:

doesnt japan use a gsm 1900 ?

wont a tri-band phone work ?

Japan's on a CDMA network, since when Japan uses GSM?

togu said:
Thanks all for your advise. I'll probably work out to rent a phone. It's for my wife, she needs to call back to talk to her boyfriends... :confused:

1000yen is about er.. SGD$14? 1270jpy for usage? I assume you made local calls only? :think:
Well, u can always get those singtel prepaid cards?

togu said:

I believe its free incoming for both international and local calls!

I remembered I told everyone I called to call me back when THEY are free or when we have something to discuss.

I told my children specifically what time to call during the evenings before bed, so I can chat with them, so much so they did not even miss me!

And when I am done, I just put the phone into the pre-paid envelope they provided and drop it into the postbox! When I reached home, the bill is in the email giving me a breakdown of the rental plus usage costs. Sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.