NKF Show @ Downtown East

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOCL

Jan 30, 2002
NE
Visit site
My first attempt at using my C700 with ext flash 285HV at shooting a concert. This was a NKF show which I came across at Event Square, Down Town East on 6 Apr. Took many shots but only a few came out ok. Left after hearing that Emil Chow was not appearing that night.

This is the MC for the nite, a DJ from 933.
mc.jpg

This is one of the singer (can't remember her name)

singer.jpg

Shot #2 of the singer

singer2.jpg

Shot #3 of the singer ... notice a photographer at the corner ... is it one of you?

singer3.jpg

Did some cropping and adjusting of levels, reducing noise in PS.

Any comments will be appreciated.

How far were you from the stage, how come the pictures look underexposed? Could the light from your flash reach the stage?

There is a bit of motion blur also.....what was the shutter speed you used?

Thanks. :)

Originally posted by Tweek
How far were you from the stage, how come the pictures look underexposed? Could the light from your flash reach the stage?

There is a bit of motion blur also.....what was the shutter speed you used?

Thanks. :)

Yeah ... I was quite far from the stage actually ... probably can get some better shots if I go nearer the stage ... anyway, wanted to test my flash setup ... probably beyond the capability of the 285HV already ... all the shots were at full tele and handheld ... so many shots were discard due to my unsteady hand ...

My settings were mostly ISO 200, F/3.5, 1/60 s ... (usually, I can get well exposed shots indoors with ISO100, F/3.5 and 1/100s)

Maybe you can try shooting some concerts with your flash setup also and share with me your experience.

Originally posted by HOCL

Yeah ... I was quite far from the stage actually ... probably can get some better shots if I go nearer the stage ... anyway, wanted to test my flash setup ... probably beyond the capability of the 285HV already ... all the shots were at full tele and handheld ... so many shots were discard due to my unsteady hand ...

My settings were mostly ISO 200, F/3.5, 1/60 s ... (usually, I can get well exposed shots indoors with ISO100, F/3.5 and 1/100s)

Maybe you can try shooting some concerts with your flash setup also and share with me your experience.

I see I see....thanks...
why didn't you use higher shutter speed? Since from my understanding, shutter speed will not affect flash exposure. Somemore the C700 uses an electronic shutter so it should be able to sync at any speed. So you might have been able to use 1/125s or even faster to freeze the action.

I am eager to try concert shots...but exams round the corner, gotta wait. :(

why didn't you use higher shutter speed? Since from my understanding, shutter speed will not affect flash exposure. Somemore the C700 uses an electronic shutter so it should be able to sync at any speed. So you might have been able to use 1/125s or even faster to freeze the action.

erm ... I have tried higher shutter speed and it was even more underexposed ... was trying to improve the exposure with slower shutter speed to capture more of the ambient light ... anyway, still learning flash photography so not sure if what I am doing is absolutely correct also ...

any comments from others experts?

Feng Hui Shi
mc.jpg

Shino Lin Xiaopei
singer.jpg

Shot #2 of Shino Lin Xiaopei

singer2.jpg

Shot #3 of Shino Lin Xiaopei... notice a photographer at the corner ... is it one of you?

singer3.jpg

Did some cropping and adjusting of levels, reducing noise in PS.

Any comments will be appreciated.

I see I see....thanks...

I am eager to try concert shots...but exams round the corner, gotta wait. :(

Hi Tweek,

Shutter speed does not affect the flash exposure, but in this case, since HOCL is at quite a distance from the stage, the flash illumination is too weak such that the pictures are exposed only partly by the flash and partly by the ambient light.

Under such conditions, the flash illumination does not dominate the actual exposure, but acts more like a fill-in. As such, you will notice significant impact on the exposure by changing the shutter speed.

- Roy

Originally posted by roygoh

Hi Tweek,

Shutter speed does not affect the flash exposure, but in this case, since HOCL is at quite a distance from the stage, the flash illumination is too weak such that the pictures are exposed only partly by the flash and partly by the ambient light.

Under such conditions, the flash illumination does not dominate the actual exposure, but acts more like a fill-in. As such, you will notice significant impact on the exposure by changing the shutter speed.

- Roy

Oh ok...so in this case, the distance exceeded the flash range right? Ok then take makes sense...:) THanks Roy!

erm ... I have tried higher shutter speed and it was even more underexposed ... was trying to improve the exposure with slower shutter speed to capture more of the ambient light ... anyway, still learning flash photography so not sure if what I am doing is absolutely correct also ...

any comments from others experts?

I'm not an expert but did you "zoom" your flash to the fullest and use the most powerful setting (manual?)? I fint that it makes a lot of difference for mine. I was able to use 1/400s and 1/500s which enables me to handhold at 320mm.

Originally posted by mpenza

I'm not an expert but did you "zoom" your flash to the fullest and use the most powerful setting (manual?)? I fint that it makes a lot of difference for mine. I was able to use 1/400s and 1/500s which enables me to handhold at 320mm.

Hi mpenza

Yes, my flash was at max zoom. I did not use the most powerful setting (manual), but I did dial the ISO setting to the smallest ISO number (can't remember what's that ... )

1/400 - 1/500 ... hmm, I guess you shd be not so far from the stage? I was quite far away ... must be around 50 m?

Status
Not open for further replies.