[nitewalk] visions

nitewalk

May 31, 2010
Singapore
Beauty of Our (Lion) City was started in mid-2012, it has since garnered 87,669 views and I am thankful for the interest, support and guidance I have received. It was the start of my photographic journey and a record of my growth as a shooter. As I find it troublesome and rather pointless to start a thread for each trip, I have decided to stop the old thread at the 400th shot and start afresh. The new thread will be titled as visions and it will encompass shots from the running projects of Trailing, Bukit Ho Swee and possibly other personal projects I may embark on, as well as shots taken in Singapore and beyond our shores (hence the abandonment of the original title). Thank you to one and all who had viewed Beauty of Our (Lion) City and had given me your valuable critiques and encouragements. You have certainly played a part in my growth and I will look forward to continue my growth, in this new thread, with the support of fellow photography enthusiasts and in some cases, professionals. :thumbsup:

Second shot of the ongoing project to document Bukit Ho Swee estate. Finally, I can do this shot as I had just bought the Samyang 14mm lens. The correction of the distortion is a little tricky as it doesn't seem quite uniform. Still trying to understand the necessary correction aside from the lens profile.

13168603195_fa2b686e7f_c.jpg

Last edited:
wishes you all the best for your new thread , great works always from you , first pic is already Awesome. thanks for sharing

Thank you, Andy!

Taken yesterday morning using Haida 10 stop ND filter

13182070534_6df93375ef_c.jpg

Thanks RC!

iLight 2014

I don't normally shoot these special displays. I was stuck in a damn jam so all my plans and contingency plans went out of the window and shot this on a Saturday, which isn't quite ideal with so many people there.

Went around the problem because i quickly realise i did not want the railing in my frame to compete for attention with the light balls on the water as I wanted that to dominate as main leading lines. It was a horrible sunset but the blue hour was a beauty that evening.

13191998584_86d2240168_c.jpg

Natural GND filter, this haze. Shot on Friday when the haze was at its worst. Thankfully, the recent rain has washed away the blur. The look of the CBD buildings somehow reminds me of my impression of NYC. Haha dunno why.

Single shot and used a longer exposure instead of a stacking shorter exposures. The subdued look of the background was kept as it is to contrast with other similar works, so by not stacking the exposures, the less distinct the trails would feel and therefore going better with the subdued background.

13220019475_d35c3ef17f_c.jpg

Third photo in the series of documentation of Bukit Ho Swee. The toughest distortion correction as yet, probably due to my lack of discretion in the usage of lens. The 14mm is definitely not the ideal choice as it isn't the 14-24. Between that and having problem stitching LE shots for pano, the latter might be easier. Trying to understand the characteristics of the 14 for now but it is emerging that the avoiding of difficult subjects to frame using the 14 is the proper way to go.

Wanted to shoot these two blocks as I frequented the market with my mother when i was young. Between them was the market I often run around. Carries so much memories for people in this area.

13222270944_a76b60384e_c.jpg

Hi first of all really love all your pictures and hope i am able to take such shots in the future.

Just wondering as i am interested in purchasing the 14mm samyang, mainly for landscape shots, is the distortion really bad that requires lots of post process correction?

Thanks so much for your prompt reply. I think it best for me to purchase and learn from the shots i will be taking. Hope to see more of your pictures!

Thanks!

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

13239189723_f7fb680622_c.jpg

Horizon Club Room in Shangrila Hotel, Kuala Lumpur.

Since there isn't much of stuff to shoot due to the thunderstorm this evening during sunset, so I might as well post a shot of my room.

This is 3 shots manually blended.

13267149694_80d3b97dce_c.jpg

For a business trip? I wonder how much different it would be for Sheraton. Will be there in May/June.

Thanks mardellion and Daoyin!

Twin Fire

Single shot on the 14mm. I was pleasantly surprised that only a single shot was needed as the glow was pretty nice and strong and i couldnt use GND filters on the 14mm. I wasn't allowed to use tripod, so i had to make shift a platform for my setup, they don't even allow pano head to be used as a make shift tripod.

The sky was horrible prior to the sunset and when the glow came on, i scrambled into action. I was almost only planning for a blue hour shoot while feasting on tapas. Despite the glow, i only needed one shot and minor processing, most just distortion correction of the 14mm.

Looks good to me even if the sky was kinda shite haha :)

This is a 2 vertical frames panorama of single shots each using Haida 6 stop ND filter + LEE GND0.9 soft.

The fiery sunset yesterday at USR. Seem to have some luck shooting reservoirs. Chose a square crop as that is what was necessary to exclude even more people and include the rocks leading into the jetty as well as the clouds as much as i can include.

13378521143_d0c018a02d_c.jpg

Last edited:
Great shot(s). The colours of the sky was really nice. Almost like a fairy tale

13404764205_6e4acd0920_c.jpg

Last edited: