[nitewalk] I Eat Alot! :)

nitewalk

May 31, 2010
Singapore
I love to eat and whenever possible I try to take a shot of the food I eat. But I am just starting to do so, so I have not alot to share here. C&C is most welcomed. I hope to improve with feedback. :)

#1 Gelare: Waffle with Ice Cream​

4966544660_0e8a8fc881_b.jpg

#2 Gelare Waffle From a Different Angle​

4965952993_d3c20c8aff_b.jpg

hmm, i think you need to consider what is the focus point.

for the first photo, 70% front portion is not in focus while the focus is on yellow cream(?), this gives an weird look to the photo.

#3 Frolick: Yoghurt​

4966728228_f87cafc5fc_b.jpg

hmm, i think you need to consider what is the focus point.

for the first photo, 70% front portion is not in focus while the focus is on yellow cream(?), this gives an weird look to the photo.

Thanks.. I think i didn't control my DOF well right?

the yogurt is a much better attempt
but looks under

Thanks.. I think i didn't control my DOF well right?

Hmm, I think your DoF is abit thin. But the actual issue with the first photo seems to be where you focused. If you look at the photo, the only parts that are in focus are the text "University of Australia".

Hmm, I think your DoF is abit thin. But the actual issue with the first photo seems to be where you focused. If you look at the photo, the only parts that are in focus are the text "University of Australia".

Yes. I found myself wondering what aperture to use whenever I am shooting food. Would it be more ideal if I fill my frame with the food and use a smaller aperture, say f/13 or 16?

The following is a shot of calamari taken at f/7.1 at 1/13 seconds, ISO 800.

#4 Calamari at La Cantina in Venezia​

4982214171_43176bfcf5_b.jpg

Shot taken at ISO 800, f/7.1 and shutter speed of 1/13.

#4 Calamari at La Cantina in Venezia​

4982214171_43176bfcf5_b.jpg

Shot taken at ISO 800, f/7.1 and shutter speed of 1/13.
I think this shot would look better if you took it from a higher angle and the spoon facing u (to me it gives a feeling of the food being served).
Also try to choose a piece of food that provides the most attraction, instead of conveniently focusing on the center piece.

I think this shot would look better if you took it from a higher angle and the spoon facing u (to me it gives a feeling of the food being served).
Also try to choose a piece of food that provides the most attraction, instead of conveniently focusing on the center piece.

I was thinking about the angle also, I use 50mm as I don't have 35mm so the angle was a little tight, plus the lighting was pretty dim. I thought the angle was pretty low for a dish that is pretty flat and horizontal. Thanks for pointing it out! :)

Actually I was thinking, the pieces of calamari was the main attraction, so I was wondering how to focus on it adequately without having to reduce the DOF so much that the shot turns out too dim as it was sun set timing.

Last edited:
I think the issue with the first 2 pictures is you went closer than the lens can focus on. The 50mm probably has 40-50cm minimum focusing distance (no idea cause I use Nikon)?

Btw, taking from a higher angle like CupNoodle suggested would give you a better DOF because the food items would be relatively closer to the camera/lens.

I think the issue with the first 2 pictures is you went closer than the lens can focus on. The 50mm probably has 40-50cm minimum focusing distance (no idea cause I use Nikon)?

Btw, taking from a higher angle like CupNoodle suggested would give you a better DOF because the food items would be relatively closer to the camera/lens.

Yep! agree with this and all the comments! :) I think 13-16 is a little too small. You'll end up with shaky photos and little DOF.. IMO actually f 4-6 is enough :) Just my 2cents! Cheers!

Yea. I took that shot when I first bought my 50mm not long. I did not understand about minimum focus distance when I took that shot (the first and second).

Thanks for the technical explanation about taking from a higher angle. :)

Yep! agree with this and all the comments! :) I think 13-16 is a little too small. You'll end up with shaky photos and little DOF.. IMO actually f 4-6 is enough :) Just my 2cents! Cheers!

For the fourth shot i tried with 7.1, haven't had the chance to try with 4-5.6. Hmm, but reading everyone's response, perhaps I could have taken a higher angle and try shooting at f/5.6? :think:

Yea. I took that shot when I first bought my 50mm not long. I did not understand about minimum focus distance when I took that shot (the first and second).

Thanks for the technical explanation about taking from a higher angle. :)

at a higher angle, u will not suffer from the thin plane of focus even if u go down to f/1.4 because if u manage to get the food in focus most of the other pieces would be at almost the same plane of focus.

and with ur lens wide open, u can shoot at darker conditions too!

at a higher angle, u will not suffer from the thin plane of focus even if u go down to f/1.4 because if u manage to get the food in focus most of the other pieces would be at almost the same plane of focus.

and with ur lens wide open, u can shoot at darker conditions too!

Ahh i see i see. Higher angle meaning like 45 degrees from table right. Somewhere between top-down and the angle which i took the calamari shots u mean?

Yes yes vary the angle of shoot. sometimes taking it from top down can be nice also.

of course it can be difficult since the food can be really tempting.