[nitewalk] APWP 2013

10902717194_fd06881113_c.jpg

Making the best of a stormy sunset while shooting with a group of budding photography enthusiasts and their teacher

11085511105_2201186d17_c.jpg

Please keep this thread going. Thank you.

Last shot of Singapore to share before nitewalk flies to Shanghai and Burma!

11187575084_4c2da5a61d_c.jpg

Protester in Shanghai (yes protests are legal there)

11223147843_9dbf7b0550_c.jpg

A hazy skyline with the PM2.5 index hitting a high of 464 in the night. This was the best i could manage with the sky so hazy that aligning verticals was almost impossible.

11223114226_619fcc3f6b_c.jpg

5.12.13 A hazy skyline with the PM2.5 index hitting a high of 464 in the night. This was the best i could manage with the sky so hazy that aligning verticals was almost impossible.

Wow! China is know for it's haze haha. But I think the haze makes it look better in a way that it fades out the building :)

Wow! China is know for it's haze haha. But I think the haze makes it look better in a way that it fades out the building :)

I got this angle from another photographer and he shot it under clear conditions so I would pretty much wish for a ver 2 with the same sky but i guess not worth spending two precious sunsets, seeing the rarity of any sunset at all, on one same location. hahaha. I wanted to shoot one of the great bridges in Shanghai called Nanpu Bridge but no vantage point, otherwise it would be the same kind of trails and curves.

夜上海 - Shanghai Night

A traditional view of the Bund, this was taken at a posh restaurant but no i did not dine there!

11323863734_cfeeb31bea_c.jpg

The story of a cheated young man

I wanted to tell his story. For those who cannot understand Chinese, he wrote that he was from the Northern side of China and came down to work. He wanted to find work but was cheated of his money (630RMB) but has since finished using the money he brought. He asked for help from the passerby to find a job and to have instant noodle as he was starving.

I don't normally pay attention to beggars and buskers. For a thing is I know that it is generally not advisable to give money to beggars. I wanted to tell his story, a story of a well-developed and fast paced city forgetting the needs of the few. I wanted to tell the story of a man who came to find a job but is cheated and yet the fast paced city doesnt stop to read his story. That was my vision, but obviously i framed this shot differently in the end because the fast paced city stopped for a lonely and shaking man who was asking for a job and food. Some of those passerby who looked of Central Asian descent walked back to read and gave him money. Gradually, the purses and wallets opened up. Someone had opened his hands up to receive the little donations from kind-hearted Shanghai people.

When all had left, I walked up to him and gave him a little bit of money, patted him on his shoulder. This was when he started to stand up and look at me as I walked away. The last sight of him was him crying in my direction.

A fast paced city with first world development, this wasn't the only sorry sight i saw. In the dark street at the junction with Raffles City, I saw an old man pushing his old wife on a wheelbarrow. His wife was covered completely with toes protruding. I jumped, as I thought he was pushing a corpse. Then the toes twitched. It is a sorry sight to us, but it was a loving act of a old husband who made sure the wife wasn't cold and he is clearly not strong enough to piggyback her nor rich enough to take a cab, but he still wheeled his wife home.

11335589316_2bb6ae1735_c.jpg

The rush to modernity and riches leaves many on the wayside. Such is life now in the New China.

Nice shot of the Bund. Maybe you can take one while on the elevated walkway of the Bund with the lamps posts as leading lines. River and Pudong on one side and Bund on the other side of frame. The line of lamp posts dividing the two It should be nice.

Enjoy the rest of your time there.

Last edited:
The rush to modernity and riches leaves many on the wayside. Such is life now in the New China. Nice shot of the Bund. Maybe you can take one while on the elevated walkway of the Bund with the lamps posts as leading lines. River and Pudong on one side and Bund on the other side of frame. The line of lamp posts dividing the two It should be nice. Enjoy the rest of your time there.

Hi Daoyin, i'm actually back in sg. I tried one on the walkway but the lower walkway ate too much of the frame and with many people walking it was a compositional mess. Therefore i shoot a shot by the road. Havent process yet. Still sorting some folders haha. Thanks for viewing! :)

陆家嘴 (Lu Jia Zui) Financial District

This is a single exposure shot 2 by 7 frames multirow panorama. Some liquify and cloning done to fix minor misalignment. Minimal processing otherwise. This was taken at the same restaurant as shot #3.

11338881726_861ae59436_c.jpg

3 frame single shot panorama using Haida 10 stop ND filters (i swear these slot in NDs are great!)

11347325595_ee2772072f_c.jpg

Around the Pearl

3 by 3 single vertical shot multirow panorama

Tried to stitch this manually but gave up halfway and used some aspects of it to fix the mis-alignment in stitching. The locals were very curious about the panorama head! It had always been my dream to shoot traffic trails at a roundabout, therefore this was tempting!

The haze has caused some weird spots of colours influenced by the lights from the buildings. The redness on the right is due to the red lights from a building (not within the frame) on the right.

11352193496_81f3a72a60_c.jpg

Haida 10 stop ND filter (slot in) stacked with Hitech 3 stop ND filter. Minimal colour cast and processing needed.

Merry Christmas everyone!

11530136084_80ecb1809d_c.jpg

Fresh and good composition for the 24.12.2013 MBS shot! Merry Christmas to you.