Nite shoot 4 G2


Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

New Member
Apr 10, 2002
159
0
0
Sembawang
Visit site
Hiya folks.. my 1st post down here.. :)

Trying real hard 2 learn how 2 handle my new G2 4 e past days.

Day shoot r fine with auto & program mode, likewise 4 niteshoot @ close range..

E big challenge 4 me now is how 2 master e techniques of taking nite shoot for distant object.

Had a field trip last week @ nite... took quite a no. of nite shoot in town but oni a few came out fine.. all looks fine on e LCD but blurry on PC. Main prob is I did not use a tripod most of e time..

I will be goin 4 a long holiday real soon & need some advice.. dun think I would like 2 carry along a big tripod when holidaying..

Txs folks

Phil
 

Kit

Senior Member
Jan 19, 2002
11,875
64
48
45
Upper Bukit Timah
www.arkitecturalphotography.com
Originally posted by Phil
Hiya folks.. my 1st post down here.. :)

Trying real hard 2 learn how 2 handle my new G2 4 e past days.

Day shoot r fine with auto & program mode, likewise 4 niteshoot @ close range..

E big challenge 4 me now is how 2 master e techniques of taking nite shoot for distant object.

Had a field trip last week @ nite... took quite a no. of nite shoot in town but oni a few came out fine.. all looks fine on e LCD but blurry on PC. Main prob is I did not use a tripod most of e time..

I will be goin 4 a long holiday real soon & need some advice.. dun think I would like 2 carry along a big tripod when holidaying..

Txs folks

Phil
I think you've identified the problem yourself. No offence but there is absolutely no excuse not to use a tripod for night shots if you want them to come out right. Its as simple as that.
 

Phil

New Member
Apr 10, 2002
159
0
0
Sembawang
Visit site
Originally posted by Kit


I think you've identified the problem yourself. No offence but there is absolutely no excuse not to use a tripod for night shots if you want them to come out right. Its as simple as that.
I c.. no offense @ all..

My fren /w a C2040 suggest using higher ISO like 400 to solve e prob w/o tripod.. Have tried but e picture quality drops quite badly.. not more blurry edge but more noise.

BTW, I oso got a vintage Nikkon manual SLR inherit from relative.. but lense is very dirty.. worth repairing?

Phil
 

Kit

Senior Member
Jan 19, 2002
11,875
64
48
45
Upper Bukit Timah
www.arkitecturalphotography.com
Originally posted by Phil


I c.. no offense @ all..

My fren /w a C2040 suggest using higher ISO like 400 to solve e prob w/o tripod.. Have tried but e picture quality drops quite badly.. not more blurry edge but more noise.

BTW, I oso got a vintage Nikkon manual SLR inherit from relative.. but lense is very dirty.. worth repairing?

Phil
It depends. Take it down to one of those shops in Peninsula and have it assessed. It might cost more to repair it then buying a new slr. Then again, you might have a gem.:)
 

Phil

New Member
Apr 10, 2002
159
0
0
Sembawang
Visit site
Originally posted by Kit


It depends. Take it down to one of those shops in Peninsula and have it assessed. It might cost more to repair it then buying a new slr. Then again, you might have a gem.:)
I think its a FM2... got accessory like ext. flash, telephoto len & etc.

Phil
 

Phil

New Member
Apr 10, 2002
159
0
0
Sembawang
Visit site
Originally posted by Kit


Then I think it depends on when it was bought. The FM2 was still available until recently replaced by the FM3.
Should be in e early 90s...

BTW, Kit, any recommendation for tripod?? Might as well buy 1 & try it out again... how much should I expect 2 pay??

Phil
 

Kit

Senior Member
Jan 19, 2002
11,875
64
48
45
Upper Bukit Timah
www.arkitecturalphotography.com
Originally posted by Phil


Should be in e early 90s...

BTW, Kit, any recommendation for tripod?? Might as well buy 1 & try it out again... how much should I expect 2 pay??

Phil
I recommend the Manfrotto 190. Sturdy enough for your DC and FM2. As for the head, depends on what you shoot. if you do architecture, the 141 3 way pan head is good. Not really sure about the price in Singapore but I think it wouldn't be over $150 for that combination.
 

Phil

New Member
Apr 10, 2002
159
0
0
Sembawang
Visit site
Originally posted by Kit


I recommend the Manfrotto 190. Sturdy enough for your DC and FM2. As for the head, depends on what you shoot. if you do architecture, the 141 3 way pan head is good. Not really sure about the price in Singapore but I think it wouldn't be over $150 for that combination.
Txs 4 e info...

Juz called CP.. they quote me $110 for e tripod & $50++ for e cheapest Manfrotto head.

Pheeweee...

Phil
 

M

mikey2tan

Guest
Originally posted by Kit


I recommend the Manfrotto 190. Sturdy enough for your DC and FM2. As for the head, depends on what you shoot. if you do architecture, the 141 3 way pan head is good. Not really sure about the price in Singapore but I think it wouldn't be over $150 for that combination.

Hi,

Two alternatives r a monopod or a shoulderpod
(which is more like a shoulder sling) which r
more practical 4 travelling. Don't ask me where
2 buy these in S'pore.

Another idea is 2 shop 4 those when u r abroad
unless u r going 2 some ulu place like Afghanistan.
Than the monopod can come in handy 4
self-defence or s a weapon.

I think I've to stop watching those action
movies like Blade 2.

Have a good trip,

Michael
 

Phil

New Member
Apr 10, 2002
159
0
0
Sembawang
Visit site
Originally posted by mikey2tan



Hi,

Two alternatives r a monopod or a shoulderpod
(which is more like a shoulder sling) which r
more practical 4 travelling. Don't ask me where
2 buy these in S'pore.

Another idea is 2 shop 4 those when u r abroad
unless u r going 2 some ulu place like Afghanistan.
Than the monopod can come in handy 4
self-defence or s a weapon.

I think I've to stop watching those action
movies like Blade 2.

Have a good trip,

Michael
Hmmm... shoulderpod?? Chim....

Me goin 2 States.. New York..

hahaha... violent wor!

Phil
 

Tweek

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
2,027
0
0
41
East
www.weekai.com
Phil, note that the monopod or shoulder-pod (?) will most prob not guarantee you a blur-free night shot, unless you are sniper-trained like kamwai. A tripod is still imperative. For me, I use a cheapo compact tripod for travelling. It is flimsy, but it can still hold up a typical camera under non-adverse weathers, and the portability and lightweight are the plus points.
 

Phil

New Member
Apr 10, 2002
159
0
0
Sembawang
Visit site
Originally posted by Tweek
Phil, note that the monopod or shoulder-pod (?) will most prob not guarantee you a blur-free night shot, unless you are sniper-trained like kamwai. A tripod is still imperative. For me, I use a cheapo compact tripod for travelling. It is flimsy, but it can still hold up a typical camera under non-adverse weathers, and the portability and lightweight are the plus points.
Got good recommendation?

Phil
 

Tweek

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
2,027
0
0
41
East
www.weekai.com
Originally posted by Phil


Got good recommendation?

Phil
just go to your neighbourhood labs lor...they usually will have. I'm using one of Tristar brand, about $20+.
 

Goose

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
589
0
16
Visit site
Or u can take a look at SLIK tripods. They are quite sturdy and their cost is relative low too.
 

Phil

New Member
Apr 10, 2002
159
0
0
Sembawang
Visit site
Originally posted by Tweek


just go to your neighbourhood labs lor...they usually will have. I'm using one of Tristar brand, about $20+.
Wow.. thats very affordable!! Goodie!!! kekekee...

Phil
 

Phil

New Member
Apr 10, 2002
159
0
0
Sembawang
Visit site
Originally posted by Goose
Or u can take a look at SLIK tripods. They are quite sturdy and their cost is relative low too.
Where can I get it... & how much?? $50???

Sorry.. so many question..

Phil
 

M

mikey2tan

Guest
Originally posted by Phil


Hmmm... shoulderpod?? Chim....

Me goin 2 States.. New York..

hahaha... violent wor!

Phil
We're planning a September trip probably by NorthWest
& landing in JFK airport & taking a 2 week Amtrak
pass 4 New England touring - Boston, Maine &
Vermont & exiting US to Montreal.

Which hotel to book 4 around US$100/- in
34th Street & Penn Station area ?? Will
appreciate if u could email me some brochures
of the JFK airport layout & where the hotel
courtesy phone "wall" is ?? Would like 2 be
prepared as NYC is a big city & confusing 4
a first timer there.

Thanks,

Michael
 

Status
Not open for further replies.