Nite photography with Canon IXUS 800 IS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ektang

Nov 11, 2006
Hi,
Would appreciate your advice on how to take great nite photos at Esplanade area. There is no manual setting for the aperture size and thus I need help on how to set the metering, ISO, flash, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Catherine

Hi,
Would appreciate your advice on how to take great nite photos at Esplanade area. There is no manual setting for the aperture size and thus I need help on how to set the metering, ISO, flash, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Catherine

hi, get a simple tripod (cost maybe 20-30 dollars), mount your canon on it, set the mode to night portrait, switch off flash, set timer to 10 secs and press shutter. :lovegrin: after that u may try another mode landscape and same steps follow.:sweatsm:

Is it portrait or landscape?
Does the orientation matters?

hi, get a simple tripod (cost maybe 20-30 dollars), mount your canon on it, set the mode to night portrait, switch off flash, set timer to 10 secs and press shutter. :lovegrin: after that u may try another mode landscape and same steps follow.:sweatsm:
I don't get what you mean by night portrait. From the special scene mode, some of the choices are portrait, night snapshot, etc. Do you mean the night snapshot mode? And what is mode landscape?

the most important thing really for night photography is a tripod. especially if you are using a P&S because of their relatively poor performance at higher ISOs compared to DSLRs. also, depending on your focal length, the aperture will correspondingly increase. if you dont have an aperture priority mode on your camera, then shoot at wide open, dont zoom in.

mount the camera on tripod...and just play around with settings .. but try and keep your ISO to 200 and dont go beyond that.

Orientation doesn't matter if you are using Canon camera the photos will be auto-rotated when you download them, however, in term of composition your orientation matters a lot. The "Landscape" is for taking landscape scene as it is programmed to foucus to infinitely so if use properly everything in the frame will be sharp. Why don't you try both "Landscape" and "Night Snapshot" for you night shoot and tell us the difference? :D Remember for night shoot, use tripod and low ISO.

Status
Not open for further replies.