NiMH Rechargeables

Status
Not open for further replies.

night86mare

Deregistered
Aug 25, 2006
www.pbase.com
Erm, I know this might seem like a very noobish question, but are they supposed to just drain away by themselves?

Everytime I charge them up, and after I leave them alone for maybe a week or 2, and put them into my camera, my camera tells me to change batteries. It's not the camera's problem.. Because alkaline works fine with it, and when they're freshly charged it works fine too.

So.. Is it a charger problem, a battery problem, or is it just normal for this to happen?

Thanks a lot, am really confused. =D

If you are using Sanyo 2500 then it is the battery problem. Maybe you would like to tell us what type of battery you are using.

Er, using Energizer, 2300 and 2500.

I read somewhere that batteries discharge themselves over time? Is it this?

Thanks a lot!

Phew, thought my batteries were suddenly spoilt, but can't be all 6 right, heh.

Ok, thanks for the clarification man! Thanks to jbma too, for the attempt at help. Much appreciated.

Use sanyo Ni-MH eneloop if you like to keep Ni-MH battery long before use. Its self discharge is very low, can be said like alkaline battery.

Regards,
Arto.

Energizer 2500mAH series is made by Sanyo and those made before 2006 were most likely the faulty batches. Current batches of Sanyo do not exhibit the fast discharge problem.

Use sanyo Ni-MH eneloop if you like to keep Ni-MH battery long before use. Its self discharge is very low, can be said like alkaline battery.

Regards,
Arto.

agreed I dunno why I spend money on other brands.... Eneloop is really the best.

Just a question, GP 1800 Ni-MH ones. Say I charged them for a flash but I did not use it. Do I have to discharge them before storing? Can I recharge them say within 1 week from the last full charge as I need them on Full?
Also a slow charger or a fast 4hr charger?

Just a question, GP 1800 Ni-MH ones. Say I charged them for a flash but I did not use it. Do I have to discharge them before storing? Can I recharge them say within 1 week from the last full charge as I need them on Full?
Also a slow charger or a fast 4hr charger?
Can. No need to discharge them.

Ni-MH does have memory effect. But it is only insignificant. That's why some new charger model from Sony have refresh effect to remove memory effect.

It is better to use slow charger than fast charger if time is on your side.

Regards,
Arto.

Thank you.

Heard some where that keeping Li-Ion batteries at 70% is better than full drain or full charge. If so, how to know they are 70%??

Does Sanyo Eneloop have the same characteristics of the normal NiMH when used in a flash, ie. does it take longer to recharge the flash ?

Does Sanyo Eneloop have the same characteristics of the normal NiMH when used in a flash, ie. does it take longer to recharge the flash ?
I haven't tried it. But Sanyo Eneloop is Ni-MH rechargeable battery and can use normal 2000mAH Ni-MH charger. So it should be the same as Ni-MH battery.

Anyone with Eneloop to confirm?

Regards,
Arto.

If I remember what I read correctly, Eneloop batteries are a bit slower than regular NiMH batteries. Well, you have to trade off something for the low self-discharge. ;)

If I remember what I read correctly, Eneloop batteries are a bit slower than regular NiMH batteries. Well, you have to trade off something for the low self-discharge. ;)

Thanks. I was expecting a catch somewhere.

What does it mean that "Eneloop batteries are a bit slower than regular NiMH batteries"?

Actually I find the Sanyo 2300 batteries hold the charge better than the 2500 batteries.

What does it mean that "Eneloop batteries are a bit slower than regular NiMH batteries"?
The same chemical characteristics that allow it to retain charge better also limits the discharge rate, so the flash will charge up slower. It cycles more like alkaline batteries than regular NiMH.

Status
Not open for further replies.