NiMH battery+Charger with refresh feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yappy

May 30, 2004
I was told that NiMH battery has no memory effect.. or something like this and it can be recharged from 500 to 1000 times as claimed by the manufacturers.

I was at the PC show recently and one young gentleman recommended a charger with refresh feature. Is such feature important to HiMH battery? If you don't have, can we improvise or is there a another way to refresh the batteries.

I have 4pcs NiMH 2300mah, size 'AA'. I have recharged them for less than 100 times but recently I noticed that the performamce had deteriorated to about 50% as compare to when they were new. What can go wrong?

They are 'branded' batteries.

Please help.

Yappy & happy

Yappy said:
I was told that NiMH battery has no memory effect.. or something like this and it can be recharged from 500 to 1000 times as claimed by the manufacturers.

I was at the PC show recently and one young gentleman recommended a charger with refresh feature. Is such feature important to HiMH battery? If you don't have, can we improvise or is there a another way to refresh the batteries.

I have 4pcs NiMH 2300mah, size 'AA'. I have recharged them for less than 100 times but recently I noticed that the performamce had deteriorated to about 50% as compare to when they were new. What can go wrong?

They are 'branded' batteries.

Please help.

Yappy & happy

I have owned different type of NiMH batteries ranging fr GP to Sanyo. I am currently using a Sony Charger with Refresh function. It is advisable for you to deplete the batteries before recharging it. Ensure that the batteries are fully charged before they are used, if not you will shorten the life span of the batteries.

For the refresh function, try not to use it too much. Refresh function works by discharging the batteries before recharging it. If u refresh too much, it will also kill yr batteries. :)

vbs1979 said:
I have owned different type of NiMH batteries ranging fr GP to Sanyo. I am currently using a Sony Charger with Refresh function. It is advisable for you to deplete the batteries before recharging it. Ensure that the batteries are fully charged before they are used, if not you will shorten the life span of the batteries.

For the refresh function, try not to use it too much. Refresh function works by discharging the batteries before recharging it. If u refresh too much, it will also kill yr batteries. :)

oh is it? I thought refresh is to prevent memory effect? :dunno:

I always refresh b4 charging leh....tink got to change habit liao... :)

Hi vbs1979,

Thks for your help.

Yappy & happy

Personally i was confused by the refresh function too, not knowing what it would do. I thought that it would be better for my batteries thus bought one with Refresh function.

My experience is that you shld take good care of ur charger too. My charger spoilt within half a year ><, kept changing. This is my third charger, hope it would last.

Ya, shld use discharger to make ur battery last longer~ ;) i always discharge my batteries b4 recharging them.

so far for wat i know, the refresh is meant to discharge the battery before a fresh charge. so it shouldn't damage ur battries. this was wat the shop keeper told me when i brought 4 2300mAh Sanyo AA batt last year. i have been using the refresh function until now its still working like new.

aspire said:
so far for wat i know, the refresh is meant to discharge the battery before a fresh charge. so it shouldn't damage ur battries. this was wat the shop keeper told me when i brought 4 2300mAh Sanyo AA batt last year. i have been using the refresh function until now its still working like new.

yes, one shld always fully discharged the batteries before recharging to optimize. try to drain it rather than using the Refresh function. My GP batteries have lasted for 2 years. ;)

actually batts are so cheap nowadays and technology is so advanced, is there actually a need to go thru the whole hassle of discharging and monitoring the batt capacity etc?

wainism said:
actually batts are so cheap nowadays and technology is so advanced, is there actually a need to go thru the whole hassle of discharging and monitoring the batt capacity etc?

I agree....4x Sanyo 2500 cost less than $16 nowaday :lovegrin: Also battery has lifespan too....so the performance will inevitably drop no matter how careful you use :dunno:

For me, I only want to make sure the battery drainage is consistent with my expectation, if not shoot half way battery suddenly out then siao liao....so always bring extra just in case :thumbsup:

By the way I bought a Kronoc charger at last PC show and this charger has a refresh button, also there is a LCD showing the battery capacity, so this will be useful if you want to "agak agak" the capacity level :devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.