[Nikonzen] - APAD 2014

Nikonzen

Nov 3, 2014
Oklahoma, USA
Well I shall try to finish up what is left of this year.

To start off with I am going to explain how I came to the handle of Nikonzen.

My dream camera has always been the Nikon F2 with Eye-level Finder. Well I bought one...a very nice one. What an excellent camera. Words don't do it justice you just have to hold one and use one that is tuned up nicely to understand. I sold it though because I had pretty much converted to digital and needed funds to acquire some things to play with.

Anyways there are a couple of videos on youtube talking about the evolution Of the Nikon F camera. In one of the videos a man is talking about how the F with Eye-level finder was very zen like in design. Circle, triangle, square. So I have started exploring this concept of circle triangle square and I see it in my photography all of the time.

At any rate...here we go...

One of the most handsome cameras ever made IMO...note all the dust on the camera. I don't have shelf queens I use my cameras and pretty hard sometimes.

Last edited:
Welcome to ClubSNAP and APAD Jeff. Thank you for sharing your journey in photography. Looking forward to more.

Thank you sir.

For today's snap I decided to continue the camera theme with one of my favorite cameras in my collection. It is a circa 1961 Ansco Autoset. This camera was manufactured by Minolta for Ansco and is thus a copy of the old Uniomat cameras if I am not mistaken. It is best known as the camera used by John Glenn on the Friendship 7 mission and thus first camera shot by man in space. Note he had a Leica with him too and the Autoset was highly modified. So although Nikon and Hasselblad own space now in the beginning it was Minolta and Leica. Here is just a quick snap shot with the camera mounted on a VIVO tripod which is a very cool piece itself. I highly recommend you try to find one of these for your smaller cameras micro four thirds and such. Ansco Autoset 45/2.8 Rokkor very nice shooter simple to use rangefinder. I believe there may have been a faster lens version also not sure. If so I bet it is very rare. I use it a handful of times per year just to keep it in shape.

Last edited:
Thank you sir.

For today's snap I decided to continue the camera theme with one of my favorite cameras in my collection. It is a circa 1961 Ansco Autoset. This camera was manufactured by Minolta for Ansco and is thus a copy of the old Uniomat cameras if I am not mistaken. It is best known as the camera used by John Glenn on the Friendship 7 mission and thus first camera shot by man in space. Note he had a Leica with him too and the Autoset was highly modified. So although Nikon and Hasselblad own space now in the beginning it was Minolta and Leica. Here is just a quick snap shot with the camera mounted on a VIVO tripod which is a very cool piece itself. I highly recommend you try to find one of these for your smaller cameras micro four thirds and such. Ansco Autoset 45/2.8 Rokkor very nice shooter simple to use rangefinder. I believe there may have been a faster lens version also not sure. If so I bet it is very rare. I use it a handful of times per year just to keep it in shape.

Wow, love your tripod! Welcome to APAD please post more!!

Thank you wonglp. Yes the tripod is fantastic made in Japan old school. It is called a VIVO google it and you will find all kinds of Pani, Oly, Fuji users singing praise for this lightweight travel tripod made all metal. There are a couple on the bay right now at circa $20 US dollars...they do not build stuff like this anymore and if they did build this tripod today they'd want probably 200 bucks for it.

One of my horses...the very old Champ...

nice shots bro.
the Ansco Autoset has a nice BG and composition.

Thank you sir.

Yes the Ansco on the Vivo makes for a handsome model. :)

And here is some more horsing around for you all...

Nice horses...are these wild horses?

No sir...they live in my front yard most of the mustangs and wild horses are further west...I think of them as big dogs because they are like that. Get into your trash and string it out all over the yard if you don't secure the trash can lid properly. They are extremely curious about everything. Oklahoma is cowboy country for sure. I appreciate your interest in them sir. I have many many more pictures of all sorts of farm animals wild animals etc hot American chicks hahaha and just so much stuff I want to share with you all and I make more of it almost daily for stretches of time. It will take me years I think! :)

Tomorrow is a big day for America so I will have some holiday snaps for you all. If the Ferguson protesters screw up the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade this year like they say they are going to you all will see some @ss kicking to the third power...should be an interesting day tomorrow if that happens. Stay tuned...

Last edited:
No sir...they live in my front yard most of the mustangs and wild horses are further west...I think of them as big dogs because they are like that. Get into your trash and string it out all over the yard if you don't secure the trash can lid properly. They are extremely curious about everything. Oklahoma is cowboy country for sure. I appreciate your interest in them sir. I have many many more pictures of all sorts of farm animals wild animals etc hot American chicks hahaha and just so much stuff I want to share with you all and I make more of it almost daily for stretches of time. It will take me years I think! :)

Tomorrow is a big day for America so I will have some holiday snaps for you all. If the Ferguson protesters screw up the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade this year like they say they are going to you all will see some @ss kicking to the third power...should be an interesting day tomorrow if that happens. Stay tuned...

Happy holidays, I'm waiting to catch some black friday deals :)

Happy holidays, I'm waiting to catch some black friday deals :)

Good luck sir I hope you are able to do well with your purchases. Black Friday is such a madhouse deal I stay at home as do a lot of American husbands. We let all the little heifers go fight it out because on BF shopping comes close to combat and the various malls and stores become the battlefields. haha

Last edited:
I've read the rules and it says one a day but I am going to beg your pardon and stretch it just a bit because I have two for today.

Today is Thanksgiving in America. I suppose it all started with a feast in Plymouth MA in circa 1620 that celebrated a good harvest. I ain't gonna say much more than that okay? :)

At any rate, I always look forward to it because it is a time for family and friend to get together and enjoy good food, drink, and company. Plus it is a good time for me to make a few snaps!

So without further adieu the main dishes for today...add a few fountain soda drinks and a heaping helping of pie for dessert and then you can begin to understand why some ang moh so fat...

The bird...my favorite part is the leg...

The pig...my favorite between the two...especially with some barbeque sauce.

Hope you are having a blessed day SP...there is a lot to be grateful for in the world despite all the madness we see everyday.

Last edited:
Another one from yesterday...D5000 85/1.8 K lens.

85/1.8K My Two Sons

They play on gravel court. :cool:

I have a lot to learn about flash yet lah

Last edited:
Oklahoma Wildflower Cooked...and attacked by ants

Last edited:
Well I can see this would be better as a APWP... :embrass:

This one I made in Playa del Carmen Mexico a few years ago with D5K and 105/2.5

Mexican folks are great folks. Generally speaking most of the population in Mexico are dirt poor...when I say dirt poor I mean dirt poor...they don't even own any dirt. These two fellows are probably a little bit better off than most kids there likely due to having parents who own tourist catering businesses around that area. Interesting shot of kids baking in the heat in the middle of the day though if you ask me.

Fuji S5 Pro...love the colors from the Fuji Nikon hybrid.