Nikon's product strategy: my reading

UncleFai

Mar 10, 2010
Singapore
Nikon's product strategy seems clear to me:

- high-end fast, low light cam with small files for pros (D4s)
- a camera for details, landscape and stuff (D800)

Lens wise, keep DX and FX apart. Focus on FX for better margins. Reserve DX for lower end cams.

Mirrorless - Nikon 1 that offers fast operations on a small sensor that also won't eat into the DX space.

So the product space is clearly partitioned.

Consequences: no D400 (D7100 sensor in D800 body offering fast operations) or D700 successor (D4 sensor in D800 body).

Agree?

Lens wise, keep DX and FX apart. Focus on FX for better margins. Reserve DX for lower end cams.

Mirrorless - Nikon 1 that offers fast operations on a small sensor that also won't eat into the DX space.

Consequences: no D400 (D7100 sensor in D800 body offering fast operations) or D700 successor (D4 sensor in D800 body).

Agree?

D400 hard to say. Even Thom Hogan says he is 100% sure they are working on a D400. But will it be actually launched, anyone's guess now.

D400 hard to say. Even Thom Hogan says he is 100% sure they are working on a D400. But will it be actually launched, anyone's guess now.

Hmm hasnt the D400 rumour been floating around for a while? Haha as elusive as the 7D2.

Hmm hasnt the D400 rumour been floating around for a while? Haha as elusive as the 7D2.

yes. but everyone is busy releasing cheaper full frame bodies... APS-C seems like not the favorite at this point. Poor bird/sports/wildlife shooters...

Agree?

If carry D4s for wedding or events whole day pretty siong wor, if nd 2 bodies how..:)

yes. but everyone is busy releasing cheaper full frame bodies... APS-C seems like not the favorite at this point. Poor bird/sports/wildlife shooters...

If only they 'knew' about the spending power of the birding/sports/wildlife community... The bodies would only be a small fraction of the cost of lenses.

Agree?

None of the Above.
Nikon's strategy is improvement of the existing products.

D600 --> D610
D4 --> D4s
D800 --> rumored the new D800s
V2 --> V3
J3 --> J4

None of the Above.
Nikon's strategy is improvement of the existing products.

D600 --> D610
D4 --> D4s
D800 --> rumored the new D800s
V2 --> V3
J3 --> J4

But that goes without saying. You mean there are companies that launch new products that are worse than their previous ones?

The current strategy would be to make up for the loss of sales from the P&S market
this would mean that a new product segment would have to be developed to

1) work well with the smartphones or
2) overtake it

the cameras as we know it now, is in the process of dramatic changes
technology and software will come into play

btw this is for the consumer segment of the market

Nikon's strategy is simply...

Earn our money.

What about the lenses? The 24-70 2.8 is probably due for an upgrade.

But that goes without saying. You mean there are companies that launch new products that are worse than their previous ones?

Sorry for the misinterpretation as I did not type clearly.

Entry level FX DSLR: D600 (2012) --> D610 (2013)
Flagship DSLR: D3s (2009) --> D4 (2012) --> D4s (2014)
Mid Range FX DSLR: D700 (2008) --> D800 (2012) --> the new D800s (rumored in 2014)
V2 (2012) --> V3 (2014)
J3 (2013) --> J4 (to be announced soon)

I was highlighting the minor improvement to the existing products. Last time, you needed to wait for 3 to 4 years to get a body replacement. Nowdays, within 1 to 2 years a new model will come, but not much improvement. Is Nikon indirectly forcing people to upgrade within 1 to 2 years ... ?

Photographers need to refresh their gear every few years so having these small improvements as technology progresses is great.

However, I do hope Nikon spends more time on merging technology / disruptive innovation. Eg. Sony with its mirrorless full-frame camera, Canon's wireless radio speedlight, Sigma's 18-35 f/1.8 lens, etc. It will not only help retain its existing users but also attract switchers from other brands.

Truthfully, there hasn't been much for Nikon users to shout about in the past few years IMHO...

Photographers need to refresh their gear every few years so having these small improvements as technology progresses is great.

However, I do hope Nikon spends more time on merging technology / disruptive innovation. Eg. Sony with its mirrorless full-frame camera, Canon's wireless radio speedlight, Sigma's 18-35 f/1.8 lens, etc. It will not only help retain its existing users but also attract switchers from other brands.

Truthfully, there hasn't been much for Nikon users to shout about in the past few years IMHO...

Thts bit like saying you wish a mobile phone that combines best of everything frm blackberry, iphone & samsung android for eg...lol

If so I place more faith tht a Chinese brand will succeed in doing that first and at a great price to boot..hee

Nikon's strategy is simply...

Earn our money.

That is not a strategy, that is the objective. Strategy needs to be something that the company do to entice customers, e.g. Apple with its cloud system and seamless integration between iPhone, iPad and iMac. Now that is a strategy.

Sorry for the misinterpretation as I did not type clearly.

Entry level FX DSLR: D600 (2012) --> D610 (2013)
Flagship DSLR: D3s (2009) --> D4 (2012) --> D4s (2014)
Mid Range FX DSLR: D700 (2008) --> D800 (2012) --> the new D800s (rumored in 2014)
V2 (2012) --> V3 (2014)
J3 (2013) --> J4 (to be announced soon)

I was highlighting the minor improvement to the existing products. Last time, you needed to wait for 3 to 4 years to get a body replacement. Nowdays, within 1 to 2 years a new model will come, but not much improvement. Is Nikon indirectly forcing people to upgrade within 1 to 2 years ... ?

If this is the strategy, just gradual improvement, then it hardly justify as a strategy. OK, maybe this is the strategy to allow any mid stream adopter to get latest camera body, instead of buying last year's model. But this strategy comes with big penalty - witness the availability new of D90, D7000 and D7100 at the same time (and D3100/D3200/D3300, J1/J2/J3 the list continues)

A move that is clearly a strategy but was more disruptive if anything - Nikon 1 not integrated into the SB system.

A strategy that appears to be back firing - not to update the D700/D300 lines so that those desiring high frame rate must look to D4. On the one hand it is clearing aiming at avoiding pros using a cheaper body to achieve much the same results (D700/MB-D10 vs D3, D300/MB-D10 vs D3 but competing as DX vs FX), on the other hand it puts off those who bought into D700 and D300 lines.

I think the strategy for Nikon is to segment the market (leaving out s, e etc and referring to them as the series, i.e. D4 is the D4 series, including D4, D4s and any D4x).
- Pros go D4 (for high fps, superior AF and ISO), or D800 (for high MP)
- Serious enthusiasts go D600/D610
- Nostalgic/retro/don't want to pay D4 but want D4 sensor go Df, Df intentionally made less "capable" compared to D4 to avoid Df eating into D4 sales
- Enthusiasts go D7100
- Beginner go D5300
- Entry market go D3300
- Mirrorless go 1 Nikon
- DX lens for beginners, enthusiasts buy FX lens so that someday the D7100 user will bite the bullet and go FX.

And poor integration - different wireless remote, WiFi module, GPS, SB series can't work on 1 Nikon, battery packs all over the place (not interchangeable), batteries all over the place (1 Nikon, D3300/D5300/Df, D7100/D610/D800, D4).

I have D5000, D800, Df, V1, J1 and good old D300. 5 different batteries/chargers! 2 different remotes, 2 different GPS, 2 different flash system, good thing only 2 different sets of lenses.

Last edited:
Thts bit like saying you wish a mobile phone that combines best of everything frm blackberry, iphone & samsung android for eg...lol

If so I place more faith tht a Chinese brand will succeed in doing that first and at a great price to boot..hee
Oops, saberlancer... Me bad... I should have been more succinct in the statement.

I was giving examples of features/tech other brands have introduced lately, not saying Nikon should combine all the features. When you don't bring new tech/innovation to market, then you become a follower and not leader. Not a good position to be in...

Oops, saberlancer... Me bad... I should have been more succinct in the statement.

I was giving examples of features/tech other brands have introduced lately, not saying Nikon should combine all the features. When you don't bring new tech/innovation to market, then you become a follower and not leader. Not a good position to be in...

2 possible tracks:
- be a leader in image quality and photographic features, eg frame rates AF speed, etc
- be a leader in electronic features, eg ease of upload to fb, built-in Wi-Fi, art filter etc

Nikon's been good with former not latter

2 possible tracks:
- be a leader in image quality and photographic features, eg frame rates AF speed, etc
- be a leader in electronic features, eg ease of upload to fb, built-in Wi-Fi, art filter etc

Nikon's been good with former not latter
Yep @diediemustdive, agreed...

However, many find Canon/Sony has done quite well in AF accuracy too. *If* Sony is able to get the image quality in their mirrorless FF up, then their frame rate will surpass the current dSLR frame rate - potential game changer. The 1Dx is already faster than D4s at the moment.

Sometimes you need to incorporate other new tech, else face being left behind. I certainly don't wish this fate upon Nikon being an avid user myself...

Yep @diediemustdive, agreed...

However, many find Canon/Sony has done quite well in AF accuracy too. *If* Sony is able to get the image quality in their mirrorless FF up, then their frame rate will surpass the current dSLR frame rate - potential game changer. The 1Dx is already faster than D4s at the moment.

Sometimes you need to incorporate other new tech, else face being left behind. I certainly don't wish this fate upon Nikon being an avid user myself...

Agreed about 1Dx but who's counting? 11 vs 12 quite small difference. AF and accuracy should be more important when it's so blazing fast. And I'll not likely to need crazy frame rates like these. But Sony, have you seen how slow the mirror less FF is? And how many lenses? Potential game changer but not yet fulfilled.

But time and tide wait for no man. You're right progress or get left behind.