Nikonos RS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kho King

Jan 20, 2002
shashinki.com
Have you seen this camera before? It is the sexiest underwater camera IMO. Go to The Adelphi...you can find one there, complete with 28mm, 20-35mm, another lens (don't know what mm), and a flash. Those who are going...can you tell us the price the shop is selling? This camera has been discontinue by Nikon...too bad...

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/htmls/models/htmls/nikonosrs.htm

Lens = 50mm macro
Flash= SB104 with charger
Price= xx,xxx for whole set, in S$

You interested in buying?

This camera is excellent in innovation, but poor in practicality and maintenance.

Anyway, it remains the only true 35mm underwater AF SLR ever made by anyone in the world!

Originally posted by Luv4nature
Lens = 50mm macro
Flash= SB104 with charger
Price= xx,xxx for whole set, in S$

You interested in buying?

This camera is excellent in innovation, but poor in practicality and maintenance.

Anyway, it remains the only true 35mm underwater AF SLR ever made by anyone in the world!

Wow! 5 digits!

Why is it poor in practicality and maintenance? Can you explain further? I know nothing about Nikonos...

It's too negatively bouyant underwater, you need very very strong arm to hold it with one hand to last through a full dive.

Body is made of aluminium alloy, and screws are made of stainless steel. Both are resistant to seawater corrosion by itself. However when they are in place together under seawater environment, electrolysis takes place, they just get fused together and it is always a problem unscrewing for service. If you do not know, all nikonos bodies are recommended for annual servicing to replace the internal o-rings in order to maintain water tightness.

Heard from a friend who is into diving.....its good underwater camera .....not too sure about maintainance

But its fully manual which is not very practical for diving.....cos you need AF and all the auto stuff to cut down time....the air dun last long enough

This friend of mine owns a nikonos once upon a time...sold it off. Got more pro gear.:p

Luv4nature, are you a diver yourself since u know so much?:rolleyes:

Mmm... Yes I scuba dive (humblely)

Not enitrely correct. RS has auto focus, auto winding and auto exposue features.

I think you're probably refering to the Nikonos I to III. Nikonos IVa and V have auto TTL exposure functions, not auto winding or auto focus though. They are also not SLR but rangefinder cameras.

RS remains the only one.

Sorry ...dun know much about Nikonos series...only heard it from a hardcore diving friend of mine.....but its quite a cool camera...looks solid and rugged;)

What under water camera will you recommend besides Nikonos? Is normal camera in under water housing a better choice?

Kho...if you are interested, I can recommend you to my hardcore diving friend who runs diving trips and does underwater photography....he has good collection of housings and strobes...you name it, he has it :p

A very tough question to answer. Since price ranges from a mere $200 for a simple amphibious camera, to a whooping $xx,000 pro system.

But in general, Nikonos system excels in wide angle, SLR housing has an edge in taking macro. Sea&Sea system gives better flexibility, but compromising slightly on results.

Concept of Nikonos RS was trying to excel in all aspects, thus I said they are excellent in innovation.

Originally posted by panz
Kho...if you are interested, I can recommend you to my hardcore diving friend who runs diving trips and does underwater photography....he has good collection of housings and strobes...you name it, he has it :p

Wow...thanks in advance. However, now can't afford underwater world yet...I need to learn to dive btw...

Here's the url of his website www.divebuzz.com

Visit the site if u r interested in learning to dive. He runs trips all over SEA. Quite fun, but I'm not tried after much persuasion from him. No $$$.....:(

Status
Not open for further replies.