Nikon Vs Canon - Which is a better camera & in terms of which aspects? Newbie Here :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennispoo

Sep 24, 2009
Hi people,

Im kinda new here, im working hard to get a DSLR, but im quite torn in between Nikon & Canon. Some people have been telling me that Nikon is better becuz of its colour sharpness and things like that. Im not really sure, so i just wanna get some advice. $1500 - $2000, wad camera would be the most suitable? Is Canon and Nikon really that different?

Would appreciate a lil guidance from the pros hehe, !! :)

Hi people,

Im kinda new here, im working hard to get a DSLR, but im quite torn in between Nikon & Canon. Some people have been telling me that Nikon is better becuz of its colour sharpness and things like that. Im not really sure, so i just wanna get some advice. $1500 - $2000, wad camera would be the most suitable? Is Canon and Nikon really that different?

Would appreciate a lil guidance from the pros hehe, !! :)

i suggest u to read up this sticky first

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threads/787393-FAQ-What-DSLR-camera-to-buy

besides, u can't go wrong with these 2 brands. both brands make great cameras.

Both are good..i have tried both before deciding what to buy…Both will give great photos if you are a good photographer :) Give me the best camera and my photos will still be crap hehe.
Personally, i went for the canon for 2 reasons: 1) It really is easier to use and navigate than a Nikon, 2) The lens options are generally more and are usually cheaper than Nikons.

Further usage of the Nikons (because my dad has one), i also found that for long exposures, Nikon doesn't have built in timer so need to use stop watch, Canon has…This is one VERY useful feature IMO…The Nikons also doesn't seem to focus as fast and well as a Canon for some reason..maybe it's the Af system being too smart…i found it easier to command the camera in a Canon

Like what Sam from John 3:16 always ask when some guy walks in and ask him this question, ask yourself are most of your friends using Canon or Nikon?

Of course, it's a matter of preference, both brands are good. And please, this has been discussed umpteen times, do a search.

Finally, have fun and keep shooting!

On the whole both will give you the same outcome. Unless you have niche uses, like absolutely needing a 1200mm AF lens, then .. Canon.

Canon and Nikon the pioneers in making big into the DSLR scene, and their initial presence makes them often quoted as the bigger dominant players, you can also look at other makers who produces fantastic systems that will not shortchange you either.

Ryan

To tell from the colours which camera has been used is rather a wild esoteric guess. Don't fall for such things. Secondly, after some post-processing colours are not the same anymore, so what's the point? It will be your camera, paid by your money, so be an adult and make your own decisions. Start reading the sticky thread, read about the camera systems in general (e.g. to find out more about the focus systems), go to the showrooms and check them directly.
Also, whatever awards have been achieved by people using a certain camera simply doesn't matter.

Clarenze said:
Like what Sam from John 3:16 always ask when some guy walks in and ask him this question, ask yourself are most of your friends using Canon or Nikon?

Of course, it's a matter of preference, both brands are good. And please, this has been discussed umpteen times, do a search.

Finally, have fun and keep shooting!

I thought these days people'd rather choose the opposition rather than the ruling system (camera) :bsmilie:
It's a weak excuse to buy a camera based on what your friends use. True, tips and tricks can be shared, but understand how to use a camera and u can use whatever camera's placed in your hands to create the same image everyone can. And that comes with practice, experimentation etc. Not based on what brand u choose.

I quite disagree with what kei above mention (with reason of course) with regards to "It's a weak excuse to buy a camera based on what your friends use".

There're great advantages and fun to having the same brand of camera (and lenses) with your friends, especially for starters, mainly that sharing of lenses is that much easier. During get together sessions its much easier to exchange and try out each other's purchases, or at least sample of a friend's lens before purchasing it. So besides sharing of lenses, there's the convenience of having similar equipment, e.g. battery packs, last month during my ntu camp my camera body shared the same battery as my friend's 7D, so just one of us brought the charger. (yes thats a very small example but still a convenience nonetheless, its like iPhone charger, if you need one, almost someone in the office is bound to have one). So besides all the sharing of stuff, there just the fun of having something common.

base on popularity alone, canon is leading the market worldwide. if you're into BnS, i suppose there's a larger canon market in singapore than nikon? but i hear nikon resale value is higher. Colour-wise i cant comment because the only nikon i own is a old coolpix L5.

Just to back up my point on popularity incase anyone thinks im bs-ing

DSLR Global Marketshare 2010
Canon 44.5%
Nikon 29.8%
Sony 11.9 %

http://www.1001noisycameras.com/2011/04/canon-destroyed-nikon-in-2010-dslr-market-share-yir-6.html

Both Nikon & Canon produce great cameras and lenses. Different people will have different preferences. Most important you must feel comfortable with it and the camera must fit your usage requirement. The one using it is you. Don't buy it just by listening to other people say. You must try it hands on yourself. Either going to camera shops to try it or the best is renting the camera and try it for a day or two. This will help you to decide which brand suits you better. All the best to ya.

especially for starters, mainly that sharing of lenses is that much easier.

Definitely a plus for "poisoning" or sharing sessions since it gives exposure and hands on experience on the spot ..
But I think it is pretty overstated regarding sharing of lenses especially those higher ticket items. ..

Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus... All make great DSLRs.

Think of the features you want... Fast autofocus in liveview and video? Built-in antishake so you don't need to buy IS lenses? Which camera feels best in your hands? Do you need 1000 lenses or, like most people, the 2-5 lenses that all camera makers have?

Don't be afraid of buying a brand that's not used by your friends. You can always be the pioneer and let your pictures do the talking.

There're great advantages and fun to having the same brand of camera (and lenses) with your friends, especially for starters, mainly that sharing of lenses is that much easier. During get together sessions its much easier to exchange and try out each other's purchases, or at least sample of a friend's lens before purchasing it. So besides sharing of lenses, there's the convenience of having similar equipment, e.g. battery packs, last month during my ntu camp my camera body shared the same battery as my friend's 7D, so just one of us brought the charger. (yes thats a very small example but still a convenience nonetheless, its like iPhone charger, if you need one, almost someone in the office is bound to have one). So besides all the sharing of stuff, there just the fun of having something common.

That's overrated. Would you share your $1,500 lens with a newbie who can barely hold his camera and gets nervous already by the idea to press the mount release button, let alone he has heard about the terrible thing called dust that could intrude into his precious ..? Indeed, with my buddies we shared lenses during our photographic trip to Vietnam. But only we know each other from working together, so we have an idea how the other person works (= handles equipment).
Secondly, the basics of photography are similar, regardless which brand. If you know what to do then the menu or a different button combination is not an issue. Buying a camera just to have the same menu for operating is quite shallow...
These kind of popularity votes are always questionable, read the lines below the diagram. To me, this is nothing but irrelevant noise when it comes to deciding which camera to buy. I have friends who got a Pentax just because they just liked the camera. That's a simple and perfect reason :)

Each to his own.

when i tried out canon, i didnt really like the interface and the build quality and grip as compared to nikon.
canon does makes alot of good prime lenses, nikon also, but nikon's high end zooms are overall much better imo of course.
Canon lenses are overall cheaper in price than nikon ones. for e.g. 24-70 2.8 of canon vs nikon..

but of course, in the end they are both the same..
depends on the person who's using it.. i have an m9, but i take sucky pics most of the time, i admit it. but i still enjoy shooting, cos i love to shoot and i will shoot until i can get something nice. nvr give up.

That's overrated. Would you share your $1,500 lens with a newbie who can barely hold his camera and gets nervous already by the idea to press the mount release button, let alone he has heard about the terrible thing called dust that could intrude into his precious ..?

I agree. I don't want to touch other people's lenses and I sure wish they won't ask to borrow mine. One knock or drop and there will be a lot of hurt feelings.

Both are best for almost any types of photography.
Ask yourself....
A) Support
B) Accessories
C) Books
D) Colors
E) Weight
F) Price
G) Handling
H) Design
I) Features
J) Menu layout
K) Buttons
L) Viewfinder screen
M) AF response
N) Number of AF points
O) Types of memory card
P) Resell value
Q) Free gifts
R) Camera strap
S) Body build material
T) Multiple exposure
U) Highest shutter speed
V) Highest flash sync speed
W) Battery capacity (life)
X) Sensor cleaning
Y) Camera Branded shirt, bags etc
Z) Ask your wife ( girlfriend ) permission to buy a DSLR

i didnt really like the interface and the build quality and grip as compared to nikon.

I hope you are not talking about Canon's xxxD line here, which I try to like but can't bring myself to. Check out the 7D's grip and you may think otherwise.

My general rule of thumb is:
Don't trust friends/relatives easily. Most just base on 1 camera they use and judge the brand. If I use a canon camera 5 years ago and it gives me crap picture and gives me lots of problems, it doesn't mean the whole canon lineup is thrash. It's possible that the model I use that time is bad or simply because I do not know how to use it. Please do not use 1 camera to judge the brand, every single model has different grip, different built quality. Don't expect a $1500 camera to be the same as a $5000 model even if they are of the same brand.

Read online reviews, check out forums (like clubsnap) on what people say. Most important, learn the basics and know the camera well, know what you are doing. Whatever brand also can produce great results. You can see lots of great photos here with other camera brands, olympus, pentax, sony. You name it, you have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.