Nikon VR 18-200 Vibrates Loudly and Shakes Internally

ymmij

Dec 4, 2005
Hi bros and sis,

I have a more than 3 year old Nikon VR 18-200 lens and it has served me well.

Recently when I used the lens with my D90, the lens will shake internally and with loud sound. When I look though the viewfinder, I would see the image shaking and after a while, maybe some focusing, the image stabalises and I could shoot the image. The photo still look ok. This situation happens once every few shots and is kind of random.

Anyone encounters such a situation before?

All advice and suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

ymmij said:
Hi bros and sis,

Recently when I used the lens with my D90, the lens will shake internally and with loud sound. When I look though the viewfinder, I would see the image shaking and after a while, maybe some focusing, the image stabalises and I could shoot the image. The photo still look ok. This situation happens once every few shots and is kind of random.

Send for servicing lor... Sounds like VR mechanism koyah liow...

My VR 18-200 Len oso same problem. VR dead & cost me around $300 to repair if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Hi bros and sis,

If you switch off the VR, does it alleviate the problem?

Hi bros and sis,

my friend had a 70-300mm VR faced the same problem too.
send to NSC they said it was the 3rd element loose.
repair costs SGD300++ for it......

My Nikon 18-200mm was not the VR problem.It was auto focus problem.Mr.Fatigue fixed it for me.Try to find him,normally he will cheaper than the NSC.

just tried.... everything seems fine now... with or without vr.

maybe it is a one time off situation....

thanks for the advice to all....

I think it is better to send to NSC to repair it or get a second-hand one, which might be around the same price as it cost to repair.
By the way, does VR II have the same problem?
Hi bros and sis,