Nikon View 5 vs 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vince123123

Hi, just upgraded my Nikon View 5 to 6...noticed a few things that seemed to be worse after the upgrade...anyone got a fix for them?

these are for reading raw files

1. When loading an image from the nikon browser to the nikon viewer (ie from the thumbnails, press enter and it expands to a single image in a window), version 5 appeared to be quicker as it loaded the image fast (i think it used the jpg embedded)...its only when you need to zoom in does it have to take some time to read the raw file and display the resulting thing...

However, for version 6, it appears that EVERYTIME i load the image from the browser to the viewer, it has to read the raw file and displays the image rather slowly...this is quite irritating...can no longer scroll through images fast.

2. in version 5, the image displayed in the nikon viewer window is centred. but in version 6, it seems to be kinda skewed towards the bottom left hand corner...anyone knows why?

quite strange that it seems to be a step backwards...and i was happy with 5 until i wanted to use nikon capture 4, which only supports version 6 (right?).

anyone can help?
tks!

vince123123 said:
Hi, just upgraded my Nikon View 5 to 6...noticed a few things that seemed to be worse after the upgrade...anyone got a fix for them?

these are for reading raw files

1. When loading an image from the nikon browser to the nikon viewer (ie from the thumbnails, press enter and it expands to a single image in a window), version 5 appeared to be quicker as it loaded the image fast (i think it used the jpg embedded)...its only when you need to zoom in does it have to take some time to read the raw file and display the resulting thing...

However, for version 6, it appears that EVERYTIME i load the image from the browser to the viewer, it has to read the raw file and displays the image rather slowly...this is quite irritating...can no longer scroll through images fast.

2. in version 5, the image displayed in the nikon viewer window is centred. but in version 6, it seems to be kinda skewed towards the bottom left hand corner...anyone knows why?

quite strange that it seems to be a step backwards...and i was happy with 5 until i wanted to use nikon capture 4, which only supports version 6 (right?).

anyone can help?
tks!

Hi Vince,

I use the NV 6 since god knows when... and I only encounter the problems you mentioned when I first open a NEF file in the viewer for viewing, there seems to be a preloading of the file in the background and after it's done, it loads pretty fast for consecutive files. I do not encounter the issue as mentioned (both on my lappy & pc & office pc). Scrolling after the first NEF is pretty fast.

Regarding the image placement, I've never taken note of it...

IIRC, NV6/NC4 supports the D2H NEF images and processing. NV6.2.1/NC4.1 supports the newer D70 NEF & CP8700 NEF, so if you're not using either, think it's pretty fine to leave it as NC3.5 and NV5 as these are bundled with the CP5700 & D100.

Tks espn for your input.

funny is even after the first NEF file, the next (which i scroll through in the viewer by pressing the left and right keyboard buttons) also seem to be slow, the preloading in the background occurs. for your case, it seems strange as only the FIRST nef is loaded whereas the subsequent ones are not?

the reason why i wanna try 4 is for the additional features that it has, such as dust off, the shadow recovery thing, and curves for saturation etc.

anyone else who can input on the nikon view thingy?

tks!

espn said:
Hi Vince,

I use the NV 6 since god knows when... and I only encounter the problems you mentioned when I first open a NEF file in the viewer for viewing, there seems to be a preloading of the file in the background and after it's done, it loads pretty fast for consecutive files. I do not encounter the issue as mentioned (both on my lappy & pc & office pc). Scrolling after the first NEF is pretty fast.

Regarding the image placement, I've never taken note of it...

IIRC, NV6/NC4 supports the D2H NEF images and processing. NV6.2.1/NC4.1 supports the newer D70 NEF & CP8700 NEF, so if you're not using either, think it's pretty fine to leave it as NC3.5 and NV5 as these are bundled with the CP5700 & D100.

after doing a side by side comparision of view 5 and 6, it appears that 5 has an additional option under preferences>still image>raw data display mode. there's an option to put "high quality" or "high speed". this option is lacking in version 6....which to be seems to be a step backwards.

haven't figured out why the position of the picture is skewed to the bottom though (nkview5 was centred)

something more to add.

i notice that the problems seem to only occur to raw files that were rotated in Nikon view 5. new raw files that i load and rotate using 6 are fine......wonder why this is the case.....hmmmmm

I have exactly the same issue. Rotated images are unusably slow. Regular images are still significantly slower than previous version. Just reverted to NV5 and everything is fine again.

wah ressurrected after so long :p

does doing that help? apparently from my last experience with Nikon 6, it still takes time to "read" the file and load it, unlike Nikon 5 which displays automatically - I think Nikon 5 has the ability to read the jpg embedded in the RAW, whereas NIkon 6 always reads the full raw everytime.

for the skewing, i found that when I rotate RAW using Nikon 5, and then open them in 6, it's skewed to one side. Use 6 and rotate then no problem...but then what happens to all the raw files previously rotated using 5? :p

Big Kahuna said:
You may try to adjust the cache size in the preference :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.