Nikon 29.8%
Sony 11.9 %

From Thom's site some old stats

In the 4yrs before :

2006: Canon 46.7, Nikon 33
2007: Canon 42.7, Nikon 40

Obtain separately
from dpreview forum :

2008: Canon 40.4, Nikon 39 (based in japan sales)
2009: Canon about the same, Nikon 30 (from Thom Hogan)

from slashgear

2008: Canon 39 , Nikon 39 (based in japan sales) (source BCN Japan)

The figure I gathered, was from various source thus an accurate direct comparison is not possible.

I am curious of the sudden big swing when nikon dslr system is obviously getting much better than before, frequent updates & more choices now. Are current user ditching nikon or beginner simply chosen other brands or both?

I am curious of the sudden big swing when nikon dslr system is obviously getting much better than before, frequent updates & more choices now. Are current user ditching nikon or beginner simply chosen other brands or both?

Because there are other brands that are also getting better, and do not frequently update. I don't see how frequently updating is a plus point, it just means that insufficient improvement is made before the camera manufacturer rolls out a new camera for the sake of doing so.

Canon DSLRs are more favoured for female users for their size and weight (at least most of my female frens who owns dslr is canon user)
Sony DSLRs are upcoming mans.. Those bodies that I've held.. Those are so light too.

But Nikon is pretty good.. Just that they dont really focus on the beginner dslr that much unlike canon.

Because there are other brands that are also getting better, and do not frequently update. I don't see how frequently updating is a plus point, it just means that insufficient improvement is made before the camera manufacturer rolls out a new camera for the sake of doing so.

My frequent update meaning inline with what the competitor offers or consumer wants, not as in updating every now and then regardless if there is a need (market gimmick)

Canon DSLRs are more favoured for female users for their size and weight (at least most of my female frens who owns dslr is canon user)
Sony DSLRs are upcoming mans.. Those bodies that I've held.. Those are so light too.

But Nikon is pretty good.. Just that they dont really focus on the beginner dslr that much unlike canon.

Actually I hope to see light lenses, body of 0.8-0.9kg still fine for me. Always wonder if light and durable lens body is possible.

Actually I hope to see light lenses, body of 0.8-0.9kg still fine for me. Always wonder if light and durable lens body is possible.

unless there is a breakthrough in optics technology and glass properties.
do you want to pay $200 for a 85mm f1.4 ... but made from plastic lenses??

there are some kind of hybrid glass material but still its optics perf is much inferior compared to true glass.

Nikon updates their camera lineup much slower compare to their competitor. The only exception would be their entry level SLR but is still slower than other brands. The largest market currently is still the PnS market which nikon do not excel in it as much as Sony and Canon.

Here are some data I compiled from dpreview.com

DSLR announced in 2009 and 2010

2009 Nikon - 2x Non-Pro, 2x Pro
2010 Nikon - 2x Non-Pro

2009 Canon - 1x Non-Pro, 2x Pro
2010 Canon - 2x Non-Pro

2009 Sony - 5x Non-Pro, 2x Pro
2010 Sony - 7x Non-Pro excluding the NEXs

I would think that it is rather remarkable only to lose just a few percent amidst your competitor launching more products than you as well as new mirrorless cameras.

actually, the dslr market is expanding (more compact users are now buying entry level dslrs).

so i don't think it's a matter of current users ditching nikon. and i don't think nikon is selling any less or will be selling any less dslrs (in terms of absolute numbers). maybe less in the short term due to the earthquake (supplies hindered).

1) There is this misconception that Canon is a better brand than Nikon, because of persuasive advertising by Canon, e.g. shooting squirrels to show that they are fast enough.

2) Uprising of brands like Sony, Olympus, Panasonic Lumix, which have compact cameras that allow users to change lenses. Obviously, the average consumer would want something more convenient.

3) Low megapixels.

4) Not much gimmicks, e.g., Nikon doesn't have two similar cameras priced differently, just to segregate their market.

5) Nikon is conservative. We have to take note that most consumers nowadays are looking for the gadget in cameras, and not the camera in cameras, so it's not surprising to see them choosing Canon since Canon offers a user interface that is as complex and troublesome as a Windows computer.

1) There is this misconception that Canon is a better brand than Nikon, because of persuasive advertising by Canon, e.g. shooting squirrels to show that they are fast enough.

This is funny :bsmilie:

Competition is always good.

One thing most consumers will definitely look at first, Megapixels. Canon has more, they'll go for canon.

5) Nikon is conservative. We have to take note that most consumers nowadays are looking for the gadget in cameras, and not the camera in cameras, so it's not surprising to see them choosing Canon since Canon offers a user interface that is as complex and troublesome as a Windows computer.

I like quote No.5 lolz :bsmilie:

One thing most consumers will definitely look at first, Megapixels. Canon has more, they'll go for canon.

read from CR that the up coming 1ds m4 has 37mp & 5D m3 has 26mp , the ps processing & cf card storage in raw will be going to be an issue i believe.

Last edited:
Well...Nikon's image sensor comes from sony.

Heard that Canon also give lenses to schools to let their students use for free provided they own a Canon SLR...so of course those people have to buy Canon right. Push up sales that way too.

Heard that Canon also give lenses to schools to let their students use for free provided they own a Canon SLR...so of course those people have to buy Canon right. Push up sales that way too.

Well...Nikon's image sensor comes from sony.

Not all...

Not all the students need to own a Canon. The school only needs to own Canon DSLRs to enjoy benefits from Canon. Schools that got sponsored by Canon, organize blah blah blah events to help promote Canon, that's that.

I have to say one thing though, that Nikon shouldn't have removed the autofocus motor in the lower end cameras. The lack of autofocus motor was severe enough to make me avoid Nikon when D90 was expensive, and 500D was relatively cheap.