Nikon sudden lost of dslr market share to under 30%

I wont be surprised at the stats anyway due to the nature and size of both companies, assuming marketing expenditure and allocation are relative to their sizes. Canon is pertinently everywhere, huge presence throughout several industries - Digital imaging, printers, scanners, B2B solutions etc.. Further more their marketing campaign is really all over the place, just do a check on all the outdoor medias and chances are one will find the Canon word pasted somewhere, even in product placement (Channel U drama featuring Chris Lee).

On the other hand, Nikon is more like a specialized nicher (relative to Canon) who concentrate more on consumer digital imaging and afew other applications in the industrial side. Naturally for an average consumer (which makes up a big part of both company's revenue), one will say, "Lets go Canon". This is based on an broad generalization if the consumer has no prior influences. Also, the generally higher retail prices of Nikkor glasses will defer most prospective consumers to the Canon camp, as this was what I noticed for most of my DSLR-buying peeps!

Maybe Nikon doesn't care as long as they capture a good fraction of pros and advanced amateurs.
These are the people who are willing to invest in good (read: expensive and high margin) lenses.
Entry level people usually stick with kit lenses.
When they become more serious, I am sure they will compare pros and cons of many systems.

I am not sure if we have the numbers for this segment of camera customers.

Maybe Nikon doesn't care as long as they capture a good fraction of pros and advanced amateurs.
These are the people who are willing to invest in good (read: expensive and high margin) lenses.
Entry level people usually stick with kit lenses.
When they become more serious, I am sure they will compare pros and cons of many systems.

I am not sure if we have the numbers for this segment of camera customers.

I doubt so. I see that Nikon is converting most of the lenses to G lenses which cater to the needs of those using cameras without an in body autofocus motor. In this case, it's evident that they do care about the entry level market, for e.g., introducing a 50mm f1.8G when there already is a 50mm f1.4G, rationale could be that newbies would go for 1.8s while amateurs would go for 1.4s.

Also, Nikon doesn't seem like it's trying to attract the consumers with high purchasing power. It seems like Nikon is going the conservative route, like coming up with cameras for Nikon users to use their old lenses, or better wide angles etc.

Imo.

I doubt so. I see that Nikon is converting most of the lenses to G lenses which cater to the needs of those using cameras without an in body autofocus motor. In this case, it's evident that they do care about the entry level market, for e.g., introducing a 50mm f1.8G when there already is a 50mm f1.4G, rationale could be that newbies would go for 1.8s while amateurs would go for 1.4s.

Also, Nikon doesn't seem like it's trying to attract the consumers with high purchasing power. It seems like Nikon is going the conservative route, like coming up with cameras for Nikon users to use their old lenses, or better wide angles etc.

Imo.

Another possible reason is that Nikon is planning their lens system for future megapixel race. Not many consumers do understand that we do not need more megapixel to take good photo.

Wonder how much will that new 1.8G will be. The current 1.8D is the second cheapest lens among current nikon lineup. I'm expecting it to be more expensive, but let's just hope it will not differ too much.

i think nikon has their own market.. means they do not rely on advertising as much as canon do.. so they are much more like "mouth to mouth".. from those figures, how many percent of them are actually long time hobbyist? and how many percent actually did look up/research before buying? all my friends doesn't even know that there is other brands like olympus, pentax etc.. simply because canon advertising is quite aggressive.. more than 70% of the DSLRs i see on the streets are entry level, means they are just started doing the hobby, or simply following the trend of "carrying DSLR around", of which the latter could explain why canon wins, because of the aggressive adverts that draw more people to buy canon, and with more people buying canon, those who doesn't do their HW prior to buying will simply choose canon.. And yes, megapixels win.. ask people on the streets about ISO and noise control, or even exposure value, maybe i could safely say 50% of them doesn't really care/know..

so it's like Maggie mie.. you know maggie mie so much because all the people are talking about it, much more than myojo/indomie/etc, that's why you don't call them Myojo mie, but rather maggie mie..

and also, people like big guns, and canon sounds really like a big cannon..

i used to own Nikon, but now i am using RF, so i'm kinda neutral here..
in the end, i will use whatever camera suits my need and my budget, regardless of brands..

hhmm, K-5, E-5, 7D, or D7000?

Frankly, I think Nikon's marketing is not as good as Canon's. Those who know the good and bad of Nikon system will choose and love their Nikon system. Capturing the market of beginners are very important in recent years as many are turning to dslrs for the IQ. Nikon should step up creativity in marketing and at the same time create presence of their brands. Canon has presence in their printers/camcorders etc, Nikon has to do more to make known their name. Everyone knows Leica is good stuff, but ask a consumer who knows nothing about camera gears, he won't buy a Leica M9 even if you offer it to him/her for 1K. Personally, I wish that AF screw to be present in entry level bodies. Set the difference by using servo motors of different speed grade to differentiate entry to intermediate.

Imo.

Yeah I do agree that nikon is quite conservative with their advertising. I mean you will never know a nikon camera is good until you hold and use one. Canon's way of marketing attracts more newbies compared to nikon. As I'm a currently an undergrad staying in campus, people that i knew who bought nikon cameras are usually recommended by people. While those who got canons are people who bought without asking around (proving that their advertising is good).

Also yes the high megapixel is really very attractive to newbies and "THE DECEIVING LCD SCREEN" that makes your picture look damn good 550D! The picture seen on the camera screen and my monitor is so drastically different (fyi my screen is calibrated monthly). Not really talking about the colour here but more of the sharpness and tones. HA and girls like canon more, no idea why.

I switched from Nikon to Canon because I was attracted to canon's range of lenses(and their prices)

Smaller body for smaller hands. (Excluding 'higher-end' cameras like 7d, 5d & 1d )

Which was one of the reasons I chose the D80 over the 400D (then) for my first DSLR. And then the females are always complaining of the heaviness of my D80. :)

Do you care to elaborate more on the range of lenses? You are talking about the f/4s?

I think the only thing that attracts me from canon is their f1.2 primes, but they are so expensive.

Which was one of the reasons I chose the D80 over the 400D (then) for my first DSLR. And then the females are always complaining of the heaviness of my D80. :)

they don't even wanna hold my camera. =)

Last edited:
Do you care to elaborate more on the range of lenses? You are talking about the f/4s?

Maybe he's talking about the irresistible L lenses canon has produced.

Since last year, Nikon has come up with the new 24/35/50/85mm f1.4G prime lenses, which are sharper than Canon f1.2 L lenses wide open based on the online reviews. It will take time for the people to find out and love these new prime lenses. Rumours said that Nikon will make a 50mm f1.2G soon.
Many Canon photographers I know, they only shoot at f1.8, f2.0 and above when using the f1.2 L lenses because the resolution at f1.2 and f1.4 are low. The thing is these f1.2 L lenses came out much earlier than Nikon, which had attracted many photographers. So it's quite hard for these photographers to switch their entire system to Nikon now.

Last edited: