nikon speedlite on D90

Status
Not open for further replies.

akagi07

Apr 6, 2006
hi need some guidance

just got a sb600, i have set the flash mode in D90 to allow wireless remote flash triggering.
and had the built in flash pop up.

some questions:
1) i cant mount the speedlite totally into the horse shoe when the built in flash is pop up, else it will be obstructed. when mounted fully in place, the built in flash is pushed slightly and the flash indicator on the lcd vanished, very puzzled

2) when shoot with sb600, is it that the built in flash will flashes too together the speedlite? is that the right way?

Using wireless remote flash triggering means that the speedlite (SB 600 in this case) cannot be mount onto the camera. The speedlite is meant to be place anywhere except on the camera. If you want to mount the speedlite onto the camera, you cannot pop-up the built-in flash of the camera.

ok Q2 resolved. but Q1...

just hand held the other flash and beam ^^ works well make sure got difusser tho ^^

then cant mount in the horse shoe at all?

If you use SB600 on your camera, your built-in flash shouldn't pop. Also be sure that a proper flash setting is done in the camera menu.

ok i will test test..
flash newbie

In order to prevent onboard camera flash from popping up and hitting the speedlite,
2 conditions must be fulfilled,
speedlite must be Power-ON & Wireless Mode is disabled.

then cant mount in the horse shoe at all?
To TS, can you tell us what are you trying to achieve? Maybe that can help us to give you better suggestions. I cannot understand why are you popping up your built-in flash and try to mount your SB 600 onto your camera

Once you mount your SB 600 onto your camera and turn it on, the built-in flash cannot be popped up.

For your second question, I assume that SB 600 is not mounted on the camera and the built-in flash is used as a commander to trigger the SB 600. In this case, both the built-in flash and SB 600 will flash. In fact, if the light from the built-in flash cannot reach the senors of SB 600, SB 600 will not trigger. However, there should be a setting in your camera to allow you to configure such that when the built-in flash is used as the commander, it will not contribute to the exposure. Basically, the amount of flash will be minimum.

hi need some guidance

just got a sb600, i have set the flash mode in D90 to allow wireless remote flash triggering.
and had the built in flash pop up.

some questions:
1) i cant mount the speedlite totally into the horse shoe when the built in flash is pop up, else it will be obstructed. when mounted fully in place, the built in flash is pushed slightly and the flash indicator on the lcd vanished, very puzzled

2) when shoot with sb600, is it that the built in flash will flashes too together the speedlite? is that the right way?

As you probably know, the SB600 has 2 flash functions, either on-board, like a normal flash functions, or wirelessly. This is selected by turning the wireless flash function on or off.

If you use the SB600 wirelessly, obviously the SB600 should not be in contact with the camera at all. I don't understand why you would try to mount it on the hotshoe (not horse shoe) when in wireless mode.
It has to be somewhere in the range of the D90's pop-up flash, so as to be triggered wirelessly to fire. The D90's pop-up flash then has to be set to commander mode, and it can either contribute to the illumination or not (either set to 'TTL', 'M', or '--')

If you use the SB600 on-board (wireless mode off), mounted on the hotshoe, and the SB600 is turned on, the D90's pop-up flash will NOT pop up.

hope that answers your query...

Last edited:
:b very sorry. its all my misconceptions as i didnt know the horseshoe is a contact between the speedlite and the cam.
all along i thought that i need to set to wireless even when mounting on the cam
ok i got it all now

thanks to all

As you probably know, the SB600 has 2 flash functions, either on-board, like a normal flash functions, or wirelessly. This is selected by turning the wireless flash function on or off.

If you use the SB600 wirelessly, obviously the SB600 should not be in contact with the camera at all. I don't understand why you would try to mount it on the hotshoe (not horse shoe) when in wireless mode.
It has to be somewhere in the range of the D90's pop-up flash, so as to be triggered wirelessly to fire. The D90's pop-up flash then has to be set to commander mode, and it can either contribute to the illumination or not (either set to 'TTL', 'M', or '--')

If you use the SB600 on-board (wireless mode off), mounted on the hotshoe, and the SB600 is turned on, the D90's pop-up flash will NOT pop up.

hope that answers your query...

so am i right to say that even if i pop up the cam flash, with sb600 in wireless mode, but it is out of range (IR) with the pop up flash, thus the sb600 has no way to trigger off so in this case, the built in flash will fire even though the setting is set to "--"?

so am i right to say that even if i pop up the cam flash, with sb600 in wireless mode, but it is out of range (IR) with the pop up flash, thus the sb600 has no way to trigger off so in this case, the built in flash will fire even though the setting is set to "--"?
Yes because the built-in flash will not know whether the SB 600 is in range or not. It will just try to trigger the SB 600 by firing the flash. It is the user's responsibility to make sure that the slave flash is in range. Anyway, the "--" setting means that the flash will minimum the effect on the exposure. It does not mean that it will not fire at all. As I have stated in previous post before, the slave flash will only be triggered if the light from the commander reaches the sensor of the slave flash. There is no way that the commander can trigger the slave flash by not firing at all.

Yes because the built-in flash will not know whether the SB 600 is in range or not. It will just try to trigger the SB 600 by firing the flash. It is the user's responsibility to make sure that the slave flash is in range. Anyway, the "--" setting means that the flash will minimum the effect on the exposure. It does not mean that it will not fire at all. As I have stated in previous post before, the slave flash will only be triggered if the light from the commander reaches the sensor of the slave flash. There is no way that the commander can trigger the slave flash by not firing at all.

I concur with Weili80, but would like to correct the point that if you set the pop-up flash to commander mode and "--", the pop-up flash will NOT contribute any light to the photograph at all, even though the flash does fire (to trigger the SB600). I experimented by covering the SB600, and the photo was dark.

I concur with Weili80, but would like to correct the point that if you set the pop-up flash to commander mode and "--", the pop-up flash will NOT contribute any light to the photograph at all, even though the flash does fire (to trigger the SB600). I experimented by covering the SB600, and the photo was dark.

in simple word, if i understand your words, the fire from pop up flash is to help sb600 only and not to the image

According to Nikon documentation, when the commander is set to "--", it should not contribute to the exposure. However, if you are shooting highly reflective material, it may contribute a little bit to the exposure. If you are shooting portraits or materials that are not highly reflective, it should not contribute to the exposure.

My photo turned out pretty dark, which confirms to me that the flash does not contribute any light whatsoever when it's set to commander mode and '--'.
I will post a photo as proof of this.
Whether there is any reflective material in the picture is irrelevant. The commander flash fires a split second before the mirror is raised. Even highly reflective material (like a mirror) does not 'store' the light and reflect it back a split second later.

in simple word, if i understand your words, the fire from pop up flash is to help sb600 only and not to the image

If you set your D90's pop-up flash to commander mode and 'TTL' or 'M', the pop-up flash WILL contribute to the illumination.

If you set your D90's pop-up flash to commander mode and '--', the pop-up flash WILL NOT contribute to the illumination.

alright got the picture, planning to enter sentosa this fri to shoot flowers

Status
Not open for further replies.