Nikon Speedlights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chocmuffins

Sep 2, 2008
Singapore
I'm considering between SB600 and SB800... anyone had value comparison between the two?

I'm going to use it as an off shoe flash with third party wireless remote controller on a D60 (no flash commander built in the camera) or stick on the hot shoe for convenience. SB400 is out of the question since I need the manual mode when off shoe.

I'm also considering older version, but have no reference on those. I've seen SB28, but don't know what features/price point for it.

Any comments are welcome.

TIA

I got a SB28 with me. But definitely not wireless capable. Not that I know off anyways. recently bought a SB900 so the Sb28 is a white elephant. if you are interest in it then PM me. I am quite sure it does not have wireless capability.

There has been many many similar posts of reference in the Nikon segmen itself. Why not browse thru there first?

There has been many many similar posts of reference in the Nikon segmen itself. Why not browse thru there first?

I've browsed the first 8 pages, no thread is talking about SB600 on third party wireless commander or SB800 features that people use. Maybe you can point out one thread to help me getting started?

Which 3rd party wireless commander are you going to use?

RF, IR ?

I've browsed the first 8 pages, no thread is talking about SB600 on third party wireless commander or SB800 features that people use. Maybe you can point out one thread to help me getting started?
#1, have you try to use the search function?

#2, If you're not using CLS off camera and multiple flash set up, than any hotshoe flash units can do the job well, or using an old nikon flash like SB28, SB26, it selling at around $200 or less.

Which 3rd party wireless commander are you going to use?

RF, IR ?

RF from Cactus..., previously known as PT-04. Cactus is an upgraded version. Haven't arrived yet so can't review.

#2, If you're not using CLS off camera and multiple flash set up, than any hotshoe flash units can do the job well, or using an old nikon flash like SB28, SB26, it selling at around $200 or less.

Yeah, I was thinking about the same thing at the first place. But just in case I want to go lazy, maybe need CLS also.

OK guys, thanks for all of your inputs. I decided I'm going for SB800 for versatility. In the future where I want to upgrade my lighting points, buying some older flashes may give more value.

Only in D70 and above...

Why not consider SB80DX ? The flash itself enables remote slave function itself.

Why not consider SB80DX ? The flash itself enables remote slave function itself.

You'd need to set to manual mode.

With SB-600 n 800's you can use them in iTTL mode.

it is easier to use manual mode on multiple flash set up, since the TS is using a third party flash trigger.

Sorry my bad, forgot about that part.

Kept thinking of the AWL in Nikon's CLS.

So, actually SB80DX is better than SB600 in this case because SB600 does not have the SU-4 mode and cannot be triggered by IR or other optical means unless a SU-4 Controller is being attached to it.

SB80DX also has a higher guide number of 38 (same as SB800) compared to SB600's GN of 36.

So, actually SB80DX is better than SB600 in this case because SB600 does not have the SU-4 mode and cannot be triggered by IR or other optical means unless a SU-4 Controller is being attached to it.

SB80DX also has a higher guide number of 38 (same as SB800) compared to SB600's GN of 36.
agreed, cheaper and more powerful, beside, it has a sync terminal

Forget the SB-600 if u want to use a 3rd party trigger.....it doesnt have a PC sync port....a lot of hassle just to buy the hotshoe adaptor & rewire it to accept the radio triggers.
SB-80DX is good but I don't think u can get full iTTL compatibility on it....can only use it in 'A' mode I think...
I think that a SB-800 is the most useful flash unit so far as it is a powerful unit for off shoe flash photography, and hassle-free when u just want to mount it onto the hotshoe with full iTTL capability. Spend a bit more on the SB-800 and you won't have to worry about anything else.

After getting a SB-800 then if I were you I will buy a SB-28 as a secondary flash unit to use its manual mode on your triggers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.