Nikon Speed light Advise

paulboh87

Dec 23, 2012
singapore
Hi guys i m currently thinking of getting a 3 point speed light set up however i am not sure what would be the right choice for me

I am currently using a Nikon d600 with a SB-910

So far i m using my d600 as a commander and my sb910 to fire off camera.

I need 2 more flash and since i don't need TTL as i prefer full manual what should i get?

I m new to Flash photography, please point me in the right direction

should i get 2 yongnuo speed light as slave or 2 nikon SB-700 as slave?

I looked at afew yongnuo and i was wondering if they are compatible with the Nikon in build commander flash?
Do i need to get a wireless transmitter if i decided to use yongnuo or they can be sync with my Nikon d600 pop up flash trigger?
Will the signal be messed up since 1 speed light is Nikon and other 2 is Yongnuo?

Would like it to get a value for money set up as i m on a tight budget.

yongnuo manual flash is using optical slave, any flash light can trigger yongnuo manual flash as long the sensor able to sense the flash light.

you can set at S1 to tell the Yongnuo flash to fire once it sense the flash light,

or

S2 to have slight delay, this is to tell the Yongnuo flash to ignore the pre flash.

Last edited:
The first question you need to ask yourself, do you need high speed sync? I'm not 100% sure but somehow I remember D600's build in flash as commander cannot do HSS.

If you do not need HSS then 2 YongNuo basic speedlights is the cheapest option for you. As they are full manual speedlights, anything flash can trigger them off, no compatibility issue on that.

But say if you need HSS, then no choice, you've got to allocate more budget. The cheapest set up for this is, you can buy 2 YongNuo speedlights but the one that supports HSS, then buy a long sync cord, link up your cam to SB910 as commander and the 2 YongNuo as slaves.

D600 built-in flash can trigger HSS, at least mine can... :D

If you want a bare basic setup, your proposed YongNuo setup will work. You simply need to go through the following considerations:

1. Method of Connectivity between flashes
- Nikon proprietary CLS
- Radio remotes / triggers (Pocket Wizards, Phottix radio etc)
- Wired solutions (useful when placing flashes far apart or when there is an obstruction)
- Optical flash triggers (usually the basic mode that is available in most flashes)

2. Amount of control
- Control all your flash on one site or to adjust them manually one by one

3. Need for advanced features like high speed sync, red-eye reduction (Pre-flash controls), real-sync flash, TTL etc.

thx for the reply guys. i will get a yongnuo. i am looking at yn-568ex hss.

i am not a ttl fan but i was wondering if it is accurate enough to get the feel i want when using it with sb910 manual as main light source.
will it complicate things if i have 2 yongnuo on ttl while my sb910 as manual??

people told me that the color cast is different and ttl with 1 manual is going to complicate things.

Personally I don't use TTL when "strobing". TTL don't always give you the same flash power value. I prefer to dial all manually.

can i control the 2 yongnuo from my camera or i have to walk to the speedlight and key in the settings?

can i control the 2 yongnuo from my camera or i have to walk to the speedlight and key in the settings?

if you want to control all the flash units' power/zoom etc setting remotely (ie from your cam), you need to invest in compatible flashes and triggers. Such triggers are high end triggers such as Phottix Odin and Pocketwizards. There are also cheaper ones but doesn't allow full remote control, but allows you to set power in terms of group and ratios (such as A:B = 1:8) instead of full manual (ie key in 1/1, 1/4, 1/128 power yourself).

Compatible flashes will also be more expensive ones, typically having TTL functions because the remote controlling of settings are via TTL connection means.

The cheapest way of some remote control ability, I've also mentioned in earlier post ;) . You need to get all TTL flashes and buy a TTL cord, set SB910 as commander. However, you still need to dial on power ratios manually from your SB910.

Nontheless these things will cost you a few hundred dollars. Not something that you will want to look at if you are on tight budget.

Last edited:
people told me that the color cast is different and ttl with 1 manual is going to complicate things.

The reference to the color cast was about using cheaper flashes of varying QC levels..I've read online reviews for Yongnuo flashes of same model, different batches giving warmer light (but still perfectly usable)

Off-camera, best to keep it manual to ensure consistent output, best case is to keep to one manufacturer's flash spec methinks:think:

You have a Good FF camera, Good light & Tight Budget to work with here.

Maybe you can try what Zack suggest to start with ONE Light:
[video=youtube;Lz0_ReAMmWE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz0_ReAMmWE[/video]

OneLight Field Guide Launch:
OneLight Field Guide Launch :: • Photography By Zack Arias • ATL • 404-939-2263 • [email]studio@zackarias.com[/email]

neilvn off camera flash
http://neilvn.com/tangents/category/off-camera-flash/

You might just need one good light & a reflector/softbox? Enjoy :)

You may want to consider looking for SB80DX 2nd hand. $150~$200 each. Trust me. It is MUCH Better in investment. YNXXX dies in 1~1.5 years.

YNXXX dies in 1~1.5 years.

Did all your YN die in less than 2 years?

From what I know I doubt so. Mine didn't die in less than 1.5 years. My friend's YN that was bought years ago are still good to go.

My first YN560 died exactly at 12 months old. Now using 2nd one, probably 1.5 years liao, got a bit of noise, hope it isn't going soon.

Yup. All go cranky. Heavy user. Had 4 x YN560. Slow recycling and inconsistent output after 7~9 shot is a no no. SBs + YNs gives mix WB. Its a headache is PP.

Did all your YN die in less than 2 years?

From what I know I doubt so. Mine didn't die in less than 1.5 years. My friend's YN that was bought years ago are still good to go.

Yup. All go cranky. Heavy user. Had 4 x YN560. Slow recycling and inconsistent output after 7~9 shot is a no no. SBs + YNs gives mix WB. Its a headache is PP.

Mine's not too bad, but the mixed WB from YNs. Can be a problem for very important work.