NIKON , Sigma , Tamron or Tokina ?

AkemiOgre

Oct 30, 2010
Hey i wonder which brand offers the best choice of lens for portrait shootings ? Share some views bros ! :D

It would be good if you can define a certain range of focal length. If you have eyes on certain lens, please do state them as well.

All and none. Depends on what lens you want and are comfortable with. :) normally for portraits people will use primes often 50mm(30/35 for crop) and 85mm. After you have narrowed down the focal length you want than it's time to google for reviews and also your budget.

Oh sorry tokina :p anyway i am interested in the 50mm/35mm prime lens range . Any idea which brand offers the best lens for portrait shooting ?

its all depened on what you want to shoot for some people its good for them but may not be good for you, if your not sure on what yo get maybe you can try to rent and test it out b4 buying

AkemiOgre said:
Oh sorry tokina :p anyway i am interested in the 50mm/35mm prime lens range . Any idea which brand offers the best lens for portrait shooting ?

Depends on your budget. For starters, the Nikon 50mm f1.8 is a very cheap and good lens for portrait (I'm assuming your body can AF the lens here)

spree86 said:
Depends on your budget. For starters, the Nikon 50mm f1.8 is a very cheap and good lens for portrait (I'm assuming your body can AF the lens here)

If not you can get the AF-S 50mm f1.8g or 35mm f1.8. Both Nikon.

There isn't one brand that only has damn good portrait lenses.

For Nikon, most beginners would consider the 50mm f/1.8D/G, and the next step up is 50mm f1.4D/G or even the 50mm f1.2 (manual focus), if you are into manual focusing.

Or if you want something wider, you would want to try the 35mm f1.8G, as mentioned by some of us here.

The next step up could be a telephoto zoom lens such as 70-200mm f2.8, or the 85mm f1.4/8D/G. Let's not forget the 105mm f2 or 135mm f2.

To be honest, the kit lens can take nice portraits too... You might have realised that most of the lenses mentioned are not in the wide angle range... because you might want to have as little distortion as possble while shooting portraits, of course, you could still take portraits with wide angle lenses.

Moving to Sigma, they are rather known for their 30mm f1.4, 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.4, with the 85mm f1.4 being cheaper than the Nikon G version. Or their 70-200mm f2.8 is also for those on a budget. Do note that their QC isn't that consistent as compared to Nikon.

For Tamron, the more well-known lenses would be 17-50mm f2.8 on DX or 28-75mm f2.8 on FX.

I have not heard of any portrait-oriented lens from Tokina... since they are known for their 11-16mm f2.8, and now probably the 16-28mm f2.8.

All these lenses are all good.. like I said, different brands offer different lenses, for different segments of consumers. Even the kit lens can take portraits, all these lenses can definitely get the job done.

Hey i wonder which brand offers the best choice of lens for portrait shootings ? Share some views bros ! :D

How much are you willing to spend on the lens? We have something for you from S$200 - S$2000 (and even more). Try to state your budget. Easier for us and easier for you too.

Budget is 300 . Quite tight i know ><

luckyorange said:
$300 can get either af-s 35mm 1.8/g

or af-d 50mm 1.8g

Is the 35 or 50 better for portrait ?

Is the 35 or 50 better for portrait ?

eh! hard to answer you lei, actually both also can haha..

if im not wrong 50mm got better bokeh

if your cam got no ibm maybe u can try the new af-s 50mm 1.8g

edit: to me not much of a different only distance,

Personally feel 50mm is a better length for portrait than the 35mm. The distortions to the face are lower the further away you are.
35mm is better all rounder on the APS-C sensor.

50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8 or 100mm 2.8

for group portraits get the 35mm 1.8

if you have budget get the 1.2 or 1.4