Nikon service for old camera. Which one to go to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rurouni

Jan 4, 2005
www.lightwerks.net
Hi guys,

Would like a little advice.

Have acquired an old FE from a nice guy, and am now keen to send it for clean, lube, adjust.

Which shops would you recommend.

I only know of 3 places:

1. Camera Workshop
2. Camera Hospital
3. Nikon at Leng Kee side

Pricewise I think all around the same more or less right? I'm just looking for a shop with a reliable technician, so if anyone can share his/her experiences pls do let me know.

Thanks!

nightwolf75

Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
really MORE diaper changes
one more place to try is Camera Exchange over at peninsula hotel, grd floor next to the small cafe. i usually send my old stuff to be repaired there. look for nick foo. nice chap. :thumbsup:

costs is dependent on the extent of repairs. by and large, the most expensive place to get ur stuff repaired is at nikon service centre. AFAIK, they can't repair all old cameras as its subjected to the availability of spare parts, either here or over at japan. for old stuff, u might have better chances and at a better price at the places listed here.

Rurouni

Jan 4, 2005
www.lightwerks.net
Thanks Nwolf will look out for his shop. I really prefer the older Nikons to the newer DSLRs (Even though I have one). IMHO, those were the Nikons in their prime. Now the market is really consolidating new technology again, esp with digital workflows.

nightwolf75

Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
really MORE diaper changes
Rurouni said:
Thanks Nwolf will look out for his shop. I really prefer the older Nikons to the newer DSLRs (Even though I have one). IMHO, those were the Nikons in their prime. Now the market is really consolidating new technology again, esp with digital workflows.
haha... especially for the FE. kinda hard to break since its mechanical and will still go on kicking for years to come. ;)

Rurouni

Jan 4, 2005
www.lightwerks.net
Agreed! Its super sturdy. And the viewfinder! Fantastic! Even in low light this focused as fast as my Bessa-R.

If only Nikon/Canon can make a digital FE/FE2.. same size and weight.. sure buy : P

JHRfoo

Nov 29, 2005
Hi,
I recently sent in my FM2 to Steven at the Camera Hospital. Camera was in very bad condition as I had left it lying around for about 6 years. Very good service. He completely cleaned it up, repaired the shutter timing, mechanism, serviced the metering mechanism changed a couple of parts. Now it looks brand new. He seems to be very knowledgable about Nikons and cameras.

jem777vbk

Jan 31, 2006
Pasir Ris
hi all, can someone tell me the number for camera hospital?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Tetrode

Dec 29, 2002
Visit site
nightwolf75 said:
haha... especially for the FE. kinda hard to break since its mechanical and will still go on kicking for years to come. ;)

The FE isn't mechanical as it doesn't have a mechanical shutter but has an electronic shutter instead (hence the 'E' in FE which stands for electronic). Rather, it is the FM that is fully mechanical.

Status
Not open for further replies.