Nikon SB26 delay flash function, compatible with i-TTL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nerd

Oct 25, 2002
Singapore
Hi,

I'm wondering of the delay flash function of the Nikon SB26 is compatible with Nikon's i-TTL pre-flash. I'm currently using a SB600 on my camera and the main flash doesn't seem to be able to sync with the Delay Flash function when the SB26 is set to slave, off the camera. Is my SB26 unit faulty? Settings were TTL, BL on the flash, 1/30 f/4 on the camera.

It works okay if I use FV lock. But I'm with the impression that the whole idea of Delay Flash is so that you can use TTL with every shot.

Thanks in advance!

NikonSB26chart.gif

The delay mode in wireless operation will cause the flash delay firing until the main master unit flash duration goes off while the standard mode fires the flash at the same time as the master flash unit.

Usually slave mode i.e. SU4 mode in older flashes will not work as the preflash of the iTTL in SB600 will trigger the slave prematurely. The delay mode does not circumvent this as it's still triggered off by the preflash and hence not in sync with the main flash although it is slightly delayed. The delay mode will only lengthen the time of flash (i.e. takes over the job of flashing after the master flash goes off). FV lock will work cause after you do a FV lock, only the main flash will fire and the slave flash will sync correctly with the SB600.

Just my thoughts. Might not be correct though. :p

Thanks for the responses so far.

frenchbean, the thing is that I use my SB600 on camera, just normal TTL, and it doesn't sync either. Not doing any commander SB800 multiflash special effects at all. I understand that part about FV lock though. Thanks!

If you want to use your SB-26 as the slave flash, you can't be in TTL mode, as the preflash will set-off the slave flash too early. As frenchbean mentioned, you can use FV lock on your main flash (have your slave flash turned off when you do an FV lock, turn it on again and then take your shot) - but you'll have to be careful the slave flash does not overexpose the subject when it fires with your main (when you took the FV lock for your main flash, it was assuming it was the only flash lighting up your subject).

The other way is to be in manual flash mode.

Thanks for the responses so far.

frenchbean, the thing is that I use my SB600 on camera, just normal TTL, and it doesn't sync either. Not doing any commander SB800 multiflash special effects at all. I understand that part about FV lock though. Thanks!

iTTL uses preflash too.

Status
Not open for further replies.