Nikon S5/S7, Canon Powershot or Casio Exilim

Status
Not open for further replies.

aRcHeR

Feb 4, 2006
sin-msia-bkk
hi guys, got a big big headache now.. i'm planning to get a digicam. at first i set my mind on the nikon coolpix s5. but when i saw the review on the s5 regarding the digital zoom can't be switched off, i got turned off.

after which, nikon came out with a newer model, the coolpix s7/s7c. i wonder if the digital zoom function could be switched off. i also like the Vibration-Reduction function of it too.

i have personally tried the canon powershot. i like the simplicity of it. easy to use, just point and shoot, with good functions too. but abit bulky compared to s5/s7/s7c and the casio exilim though.

i also saw the casio exilim series.. looks good to me, but casio... i have no idea whether they are good in digital cameras.. i know they are damn good in watches and calculators, but digicams? hmmmm...

any gurus can help me out with this headache of mine? i have a budget about 500+, which i think is good enough to play around with.

many thanks in advance! :cool:

aRcHeR said:
hi guys, got a big big headache now.. i'm planning to get a digicam. at first i set my mind on the nikon coolpix s5. but when i saw the review on the s5 regarding the digital zoom can't be switched off, i got turned off.

after which, nikon came out with a newer model, the coolpix s7/s7c. i wonder if the digital zoom function could be switched off. i also like the Vibration-Reduction function of it too.

i have personally tried the canon powershot. i like the simplicity of it. easy to use, just point and shoot, with good functions too. but abit bulky compared to s5/s7/s7c and the casio exilim though.

i also saw the casio exilim series.. looks good to me, but casio... i have no idea whether they are good in digital cameras.. i know they are damn good in watches and calculators, but digicams? hmmmm...

any gurus can help me out with this headache of mine? i have a budget about 500+, which i think is good enough to play around with.

many thanks in advance! :cool:

I'd forget about the Nikon's if I were you. They aren't up to the standards of the rest in this area.

The Canon's have a good reputation as do the Casios. The Casios have a Joint Venture with Pentax and have one of the fastest shutters around for compacts as well as longest battery life.

You might want to look at the Sony's and Fujifilm compacts as well. Both having good picture quality and high ISOs.

Try and get one that has good picture quality at high ISOs (low noise above ISO800) and one with the least amount of shutter lag. These two things should be the minimum requirements for a good usable camera.

looks like nikon is out then. just read a review on the s5 that the digital zoom can't be turned off. and it's a major turn-off to me! byebye nikon!

saw the promo for casio exilim.. now that you mentioned it, it seems not bad at all. looking for something like the coolpix size factor.. the exilim looks like it fits the bill pretty nicely.. ;p

hmmmm... can't find it in the list on canon webbie.. what's the full model of the G7? thanks in advance..

any casio exilim users?? care to share about yr experience with your digicam? good, bad? thanks again.. =)

check it out on www.dpreview.com for the G7. its not released yet.
10 megapixel, DIGIC III processor, IS, zoom up to 200mm., ISO 1600 in a black body, like the old rangefinder format. very cool looking.

but will be ore than 500... probably closer to 800

ok guys, just settled on the exilim ex-z700 today. thanks for all the replies!

cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.