Nikon rumours/previews??

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a few things rumoured to be in the pipeline, but can't say more than that.

D100 is supposed to be launched in SG in end-May. not sure about the final RRP though but should be in the range of $3500+++... :eek:

can't wait to get my hands on one hahahha :D

Originally posted by kongg
C'mon Ian, don't keep us in suspense.......just spill the beans!!

Kongg,

Sorry I can't otherwise my contacts at Nikon won't ever tell me anything again.

rumors...anybody can make that up...by having good guess. Make 10 guesses...then you might strike one. Eg. F6, AFS II 300mm f/4, 28-105mm f/2.8 VR AFS, 14-35mm AFS...etc.

Originally posted by Kho King
rumors...anybody can make that up...by having good guess. Make 10 guesses...then you might strike one. Eg. F6, AFS II 300mm f/4, 28-105mm f/2.8 VR AFS, 14-35mm AFS...etc.

You know, for someone who "knows" as much about equipment as you do, those are mighty poor guesses. Well, the first two are anyway. The cycle for the next pro camera isn't up yet, so I doubt we'll see the F6. And with the fuss over digital, R&D for that must have taken a back seat. Besides, the F5 is still more or less the equal of the 1V, so there's not much for them to panic about.

The AF-S 300/4 is already essentially an AF-S II. As in, it's already styled like an AF-S II lens, so the logical conclusion is that there's not going to be one anytime soon. And it's not like the lens is particularly old or in need of updating.

Originally posted by Jed

You know, for someone who "knows" as much about equipment as you do, those are mighty poor guesses. Well, the first two are anyway. The cycle for the next pro camera isn't up yet, so I doubt we'll see the F6. And with the fuss over digital, R&D for that must have taken a back seat. Besides, the F5 is still more or less the equal of the 1V, so there's not much for them to panic about.

The AF-S 300/4 is already essentially an AF-S II. As in, it's already styled like an AF-S II lens, so the logical conclusion is that there's not going to be one anytime soon. And it's not like the lens is particularly old or in need of updating.

F6...I still think there will be one in future...there is no definite answer here...even if you can list out thousands of reason not to have an F6...but still...you are not CEO of Nikon...and let's wait and see...

As the the AFS 300mm, have you expect Nikon to have the AFS II 500mm, 600mm, 400mm when they come out? I have no personal experience with the AFS 300mm lens, but from what I read and heard, this lens has a poor/slow AF (although it is a S lens), and many complain over the poor tripod collar. Debate on the tripod collar is another issue though...I don't have this lens...so I will leave to yourself to judge.

Still...this is just a wild guess...I MIGHT be WRONG...

F6...I still think there will be one in future...there is no definite answer here...even if you can list out thousands of reason not to have an F6...but still...you are not CEO of Nikon...and let's wait and see...

Okay, I realised I did say "I doubt we'll see an F6". But if you read my statement in it's context, I didn't say it wouldn't be coming, I said it would be delayed. The original question was what can we expect "in the next few months". As I said, the production cycle of pro cameras is reasonably regular, and the cycle isn't up yet. And also as I said, the F5 is still more or less the equal of the 1V so there isn't a hurry. And, also, as I said, there has been a shift of emphasis to the digital front, so I highly doubt they'd accelerate their R&D on the F6. I didn't say they'd stop it.

I'm willing to wager my F5 we won't see an F6 within the next few months... say, before end of the 2002. You care to take me up on that? What will you offer?

As the the AFS 300mm, have you expect Nikon to have the AFS II 500mm, 600mm, 400mm when they come out? I have no personal experience with the AFS 300mm lens, but from what I read and heard, this lens has a poor/slow AF (although it is a S lens), and many complain over the poor tripod collar. Debate on the tripod collar is another issue though...I don't have this lens...so I will leave to yourself to judge.

Sigh. That's the problem. You read and hear a lot of things. The AF-S series was 5 years into it's production before the AF-S II was released. The 300/4 is about a year old, if even that. You really think Nikon is going to update their latest lens? This makes sod all business sense. And as I also pointed out, the 300/4 already has the same design as the AF-S II series.

Same thing, I'll wager you a 300/4 AF-S that we won't see a AF-S II version of that before year end. Care to take it up?

I never said I knew what was coming out, I just said your guesses were mighty poor guesses. And I stand by that.

As Jed said in his post, the development cycle isn't up yet and I'm going to assume that you are aware that Nikon build their pro bodies on an 8 year development cycle. So based on that cycle don't expect to see any F5 replacement announced before the end of 2003 or early 2004.

While there's no definite answer, there are some serious clues as to the likely future, if only you had the depth of knowledge to see them.

There were a few hints that the AFS-II was coming in late 2000, infact almost 6 months ahead of it's offical release in late April 2001.

Do you have any personal experience with any of the long AFS lenses? I doubt it but I might be wrong.

I've never heard that the 300/4 AFS is slow in AF, and the couple of examples I've seen have been more than fast enough. Where did you hear this alleged 'fact'. It may be that quite a few of the review sites like photographyrewiew.com etc have cross posted and misposted reviews. Also people expect what is essentially an amateur grade 300 to be as fast as the 300/2.8 which costs nearly 5x as much.

The tripod collar problem is well enough known and I can tell you for a fact that Nikon Japan is aware of the problem, however it's a minor problem in reality and I have little doubt it will be sorted out at some point in time.

Still...this is just a wild guess...I MIGHT be WRONG...

More than likely you will be wrong .. but that's nothing new.

Only the truly incompetent quote others in gear reveiws or discussions about gear they've not used. Sadly this quoting other people's views and opinions is all too common amongst the amateur fraternity. I just wish a few people who should know better would shut the hell up about gear they've never used instead of spreading information 2nd and 3rd hand all the time.

hai
lets not fight over this cos we all dunno what will happen. No one will know what is Nikon comming up next.
there may be be a replacement for the 300f4 in no time but no one knows. for example the release of the canon d60 which is less that 2years (fast rite) after the d30 is release (so no one will know) anyone expected the d60 to come out in no time when the d30 was just release
nikon cEO may just say the 300mmf4 is not earning enough and so the new series will come out

hai who knows:dunno:

Originally posted by nicholas1986
lets not fight over this cos we all dunno what will happen. No one will know what is Nikon comming up next.

Who's fighting? I'm just saying I think Khoking's guessed were wide of the mark, that's all.

there may be be a replacement for the 300f4 in no time but no one knows. for example the release of the canon d60 which is less that 2years (fast rite) after the d30 is release (so no one will know) anyone expected the d60 to come out in no time when the d30 was just release

You're not comparing like for like here. The D60 was an obvious release. Remember this is the digital market where everything gets upgraded in months rather than years. It was fairly obvious to anyone who knows the situation. Nikon had already coughed up the D1 and then the D1x/h. Kodak had upgraded from the DCS620 to the DCS620x to the DCS720x. In effect you're saying that nobody expects a faster computer CPU 18 months down the line... right...

Like I said, I'm confident of this and I'm happy to wage a 300/4 AF-S to a 300/4 AF-S II to anyone who is willing to claim that there will be an AF-S II version by year's end.

Originally posted by Jed

Besides, the F5 is still more or less the equal of the 1V, so there's not much for them to panic about.

r u trying to tell me that in the intel and AMD processor market
since the AMD 1800+ is the same as the intel 1800mHz so there is no need for new inventions??]

so if the f5 and the IV is the about same so we would not see any advancement in photography industry in the next 100 years as there is not competition. if this is so, the world would also never advance.

a company would always want to out wit its competitors though many things like pentax which had been left in the dark. and most good companies would always want to be the best in this field and so attracting buyers. and how to be the best....R&D comes into place

althought nikon has the F5 and then maybe satisfied canon would sooner come out with a new eos that is better than nikon so unless if nikon want to fall behind then they should improve the f5.

Originally posted by Jed

In effect you're saying that nobody expects a faster computer CPU 18 months down the line... right...

dun forget that the cpu industry is of a higher demand
so naturally the advance is faster
however can you conclude that the lenses advance slower than the the DSLR
dun forget the dslr that still requires lenses so would nikon put more money into the DSLR R&D which only benefits the DSLR users or the lenses R&D which both benefits the flim and DSLR market

dun forget that the cpu industry is of a higher demand
so naturally the advance is faster
however can you conclude that the lenses advance slower than the the DSLR

Yes the CPU is of a higher demand. But the D60 is also of a bigger demand than the 300/4 I am fairly confident. The issue is only partly (and a small part at that) due to the demand. A lot of it has to do with technological advancement too. There's simply a lot more to advance in the field of computers than there is lens technology. Optical theory, especially for primes, has remained largely unchanged for decades.

As to the P4/1.8 being the same as a 1.8 AMD, I never said that. The whole issue is one of production cycles. The production cycle for the new pro camera from Nikon is not up yet. Then in conjunction with that, I said the F5 is about the equivalent of the 1v, hence there is no need to rush the F6. I didn't say they weren't going to innovate.

Look, I've already said. If you're so confident, put your money where your mouth is. Take up my wager. Friendly, nothing malicious. But I fully intend it to be binding.

Originally posted by Jed

Then in conjunction with that, I said the F5 is about the equivalent of the 1v, hence there is no need to rush the F6. I didn't say they weren't going to innovate.

so is nikon only going to start inventing from nothing only after canon comes out with a better model?? that would take years and that would give canon an advantage

and what makes you think nikon does not want to rush

and so if nikon is waiting for canon. does this mean that canon is also waiting for nikon. if this is so who would then make the 1st step

so is nikon only going to start inventing from nothing only after canon comes out with a better model?? that would take years and that would give canon an advantage

and what makes you think nikon does not want to rush

Eh, take a basic lesson in camera industry history and economics, thank you. Your arguments are starting to look very painful to read. Hope you don't mind.

And where did I say that? First, what advantage, as I said the F5 is an equal of the EOS1v, more or less, for a camera that is 5 years old.

Second, there is a reason production cycles last 8 years or thereabouts. You really think they take a few months to develop a camera? It's an ongoing process...

And yes, that wager about my F5 stands as well. You get my F5 if there's an F6 by years end... I'll be happy with, a 200/4 Micro. On?

Originally posted by YSLee

Eh, take a basic lesson in camera industry history and economics, thank you. Your arguments are starting to look very painful to read. Hope you don't mind.

i think this has become a warzone for jed and me

Status
Not open for further replies.