Nikon price in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandonb

Nov 28, 2004
Anyone know what is the price for D200 in Japan ? How about 70-200VR ?

TMC said:
D200 worth to get but no stock
70-200VR, buy in SG better.

Kakaku says 2450 if i dun remember wrongly but all mail orders.....

IIRC Kakaku dont deal with international orders, they are just a site listing out possible lowest prices by its members.

70-200Vr is about 3k after you factor in the actual bank exchange rate and then add S&H.

TMC said:
IIRC Kakaku dont deal with international orders, they are just a site listing out possible lowest prices by its members.

70-200Vr is about 3k after you factor in the actual bank exchange rate and then add S&H.

Would those mailorder shops work with international credit cards and vpost?

prob not. you have to deal with them in Japanese too. They cant be bothered to deal in English unless you are a walk in customer.

TMC said:

What about the 15% disc from Sakuraya after you take into account the fact that they allow you to cash in the 10% in points and waiving of the 5% GST for tourists?

Is it still more expensive than Sg?

If the price difference isn't very large, I'd still prefer to get the lens in Japan because there is less chance of getting one with defects.

unfortunately sakuraya is not everywhere in Japan and I dont qualify for a tourist discount. There are so many 70-200VRs on the buy and sell recently, which would make it more worthwhile to get there.

I still rather shop in the little dinky shops around my area as I can have some banter with the old guys there.

TMC said:
D200 worth to get but no stock
70-200VR, buy in SG better.

70-200 VR is much cheaper in HK than SG. Should get it there esp if you are there on holiday or business. Or get your photography buddies to buy for you if they are there. :)

Bic Camera and Yodobashi are listing D200 at 198,000 yen.This would be approximately S$2,871 at the exchange rate of 100 yen to S$1.45.

However, the D200 is "out-of-stock" to walk in customers. The ppl at the store say the expect to receive more in Jan 06.

A word on their rebate system: if you pay cash, you will get a 10% rebate off the price paid for the present transaction, redeemable on your next purchase. I.e. if you pay 198,000 yen for the D200, you will get 19,800 yen worth of points, and you can use this to set off against your next purchase. If you use credit card, the rebate is 8%.

So, all in, I paid 198,000 yen for the D200 and got the MB-D200 "free", with the rebate points, last Saturday. However, I managed to get the set only because I made a reservation with Bic Camera abt 3-4 weeks ago...

Slightly off topic: I checked out abt 8 stores in Shinjuku yesterday and all of them are out of stock on the 18-200, at least until Jan.

Tetrode said:
What about the 15% disc from Sakuraya after you take into account the fact that they allow you to cash in the 10% in points and waiving of the 5% GST for tourists?

Is it still more expensive than Sg?

If the price difference isn't very large, I'd still prefer to get the lens in Japan because there is less chance of getting one with defects.

Sorry, guys - I was told at Bic Camera that you can choose only one option: either you choose the 10% rebate or the 5% tourist discount. You cannot choose both and get 15% off. I suspect Sakuraya may be the same, as things are quite competitive here (or rather, Bic, Saku and Yodobashi are like one big cartel here!)

Of course, as I am not fluent in Japanese, I may have misunderstood what the store guy was trying to tell me:confused:

Eugene P said:
Sorry, guys - I was told at Bic Camera that you can choose only one option: either you choose the 10% rebate or the 5% tourist discount. You cannot choose both and get 15% off. I suspect Sakuraya may be the same, as things are quite competitive here (or rather, Bic, Saku and Yodobashi are like one big cartel here!)

Of course, as I am not fluent in Japanese, I may have misunderstood what the store guy was trying to tell me:confused:

Perhaps I got lucky or Sakuraya does it differently; but I got the full 15% off on my purchases. 10% in points + 5% GST. And that is not including the extras like lens hoods, original accessories.

Tetrode said:
Perhaps I got lucky or Sakuraya does it differently; but I got the full 15% off on my purchases. 10% in points + 5% GST. And that is not including the extras like lens hoods, original accessories.

Wow! That's really good on ya :)

I prefer smaller stores, get to know them well enough, they throw in other stuff in FOC as well.

TMC said:

How if go there to buy and take it back to singapore. Cheaper by how much ? My friend going there for travel soon, so can ask help me to buy.

D200 is out of stocks. Saw BIC (Yurakucho) has quite a bunch of them in their store room but all are booked out. The 18-200 VR lens is priced at 88200 Yen (offers with 10% point rebate) also no stock. Anyway i picked up this lens from AP just before i left. Been using it for the last few days great versatile lens.

BIC camera is offering 17% point rebates on their D2X (priced at Y498,000 = S$7171) so final price is about S$5952 and 84K points to pick up other accessories. Singapore lowest D2X price is $6800. is this still right? anybody knows? Very very tempting!

BTW also there are tonnes of photo magazines featuring the D200 comparo with Canon 5D; 20D etc.. which is quite interesting.

Kakaku is not 1 shop but a consolidation of a large number of electronics and hardware stores that offers their prices online. So you have to search for their stores yourself. D200 and 18-200 is not available anywhere as far as I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.