Nikon Out of warranty servicing cost...

filcras

Dec 20, 2010
Singapore
Hello,

Pardon me for this question. I'm weighing on buying new DSLR and 2nd hand due to tight budget. Just want to know if i decided to go 2nd hand with no warranty, Noramlly, how much does it cost Nikon DSLR minor repair or servicing? :dunno:

Call NSC and ask. Basic logic, right? It's not difficult.

Hello,

Pardon me for this question. I'm weighing on buying new DSLR and 2nd hand due to tight budget. Just want to know if i decided to go 2nd hand with no warranty, Noramlly, how much does it cost Nikon DSLR minor repair or servicing? :dunno:

Even better...when you buy 2nd hand, check thoroughly the condition before you buy. If you are only using it as a hobby, then why not buy it brand new for that peace of mind. There are quite a number of notable brands selling for less than $1K. :cool:

How much it costs depends on the nature of the parts u are repairing or servicing...that time i had to clean my sensor cos there were some specks on it that was obviously showing up on every photo, cost me $100 + , it was a D70s, no auto sensor cleaning function :p

base on experience, basic labor charge is $25~35 dollars excluding parts for minor issue, before GST
you can ask for a quotation before repair, but Nikon Service center will not give you an estimate or quotation without letting their technicians examining your camera or lenses first.

Do note the actual cost will be vary, as you will not know are there any other hidden issues beneath the hood.

Hope this help.

@antares2063 ... Tnx :)
@rashkae ... I'm sure there are lot of people willing to share their experience with gladness in helping newbies rather than call NSC. My apology anyway. (Peace)
@swak2000 ... I think so. thanks a lot .

Even better...when you buy 2nd hand, check thoroughly the condition before you buy. If you are only using it as a hobby, then why not buy it brand new for that peace of mind. There are quite a number of notable brands selling for less than $1K. :cool:

Noted bro... :)

base on experience, basic labor charge is $25~35 dollars excluding parts for minor issue, before GST
you can ask for a quotation before repair, but Nikon Service center will not give you an estimate or quotation without letting their technicians examining your camera or lenses first.

Do note the actual cost will be vary, as you will not know are there any other hidden issues beneath the hood.

Hope this help.

This is the best advice given so far :thumbsup:. YMMV, repair cost varies mainly due to the parts involved. Some parts just cost more than others. It really depends. :)

Id say go for a new set the possible issues and worries that may be caused by the unwarrantied 2nd hand set is not worth the price difference...

After reading, TS has not describe what is the issue with his cam? :think:

After reading, TS has not describe what is the issue with his cam? :think:

Co'z no CAM at hand yet mah hehe. Need some good senior advise before buy and totally got hook into this new hobby. (slowly but surely) ;):devil:

Id say go for a new set the possible issues and worries that may be caused by the unwarrantied 2nd hand set is not worth the price difference...

Actually, thats my 1st option. But after browsing BnS section, I saw some TEMPING 2nd hand price with lens package. Thats why come up with this question in mind.

Thank you all. Ppl at this site are very much helpful. I can't ask more... :thumbsup::heart:

Co'z no CAM at hand yet mah hehe. Need some good senior advise before buy and totally got hook into this new hobby. (slowly but surely) ;):devil:

My bad ;p
Anyway, first identify the model you are looking at. Next check the price between brand new and 2nd hand. Look for those 2nd hand with warranty. I find buying electronic gadgets depend on luck. ;)

My bad ;p
Anyway, first identify the model you are looking at. Next check the price between brand new and 2nd hand. Look for those 2nd hand with warranty. I find buying electronic gadgets depend on luck. ;)

Thanks and noted .....;)

yeah it would be good to know esp from those who have had it sent in for repairs or cleaning.

Eg in my case, I have an old D70 where the mirror is playing up.
I would like to know how much would it cost to replace.

Replace: I heard ard $200-$@250 ++. Of course I contribute less waste potentially.

Some say better off buying a new/2nd hand one.

Why replace: One of the only old cameras left that can do decent IR work without converting.
I have the D40 that will do the same thing but the D40 cannot utilise a lot of my lenses.

Would be good for those who have had their cameras sent in to post the cost they incurred and on what was the service for. (mount change, general cleaning, sensor cleaning, mirror/sensor box changed or fixed etc)

for peace of mind, i'd say go for bnew and just bear with your decision (because, most probably, you can only get from the lower end of the range compared to a 2nd hand unit of the next range).

if you are still tempted at buying from the 2nd hand market, try from your friends first who are letting go of their gear. at least you personally know who you are getting the gear from. next best thing would be a friend of a friend, but i'm going to be reluctant. (BTW, my first DSLR, a trusty 1000D, i bought from my officemate and has been a very good purchase)

next in line would be to inspect the camera as much as you can. sometimes, the physical appearance does not tell everything. however, i would assume that a year old camera or something south of a few thousand clicks should be in very good condition (barring any unforseen circumstances of course).

good luck! and happy hunting (for a good deal) :thumbsup:

for peace of mind, i'd say go for bnew and just bear with your decision (because, most probably, you can only get from the lower end of the range compared to a 2nd hand unit of the next range).

if you are still tempted at buying from the 2nd hand market, try from your friends first who are letting go of their gear. at least you personally know who you are getting the gear from. next best thing would be a friend of a friend, but i'm going to be reluctant. (BTW, my first DSLR, a trusty 1000D, i bought from my officemate and has been a very good purchase)

next in line would be to inspect the camera as much as you can. sometimes, the physical appearance does not tell everything. however, i would assume that a year old camera or something south of a few thousand clicks should be in very good condition (barring any unforseen circumstances of course).

good luck! and happy hunting (for a good deal) :thumbsup:

appreciate your input.. tnx :)

Send in EFS 17-85 lens to Canon.
They changed the power module.
Cost $107.00
Later they found that it was still under
warranty and waived the charges.

:)