Nikon Orchard Roadshow - Is it cheap to buy from them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yongkh

Dec 25, 2005
Hi all,

I'm totally newbie and was attracted to buy the D50 Kit @ $1,488 yesterday, plus pay additional $99 for the 55-200mm lens.

Before I committed yesterday, I resist the temtation and checked out many forums and convinced that D50 is the camera to start with.

Now, after reading more on this forum, I noticed that some members bought the D50 kit at much cheaper price (eg. $1,288, $1,330 etc...)

So I am puzzled now, is the price at the road show cheaper, or should I visit CP, TK etc. to buy, which give exactly the same thing?

Please help, as I intend to buy one before New Year!

Thanks all & merry christmas

Welcome to Clubsnap,

I think you are better off with the usual shops like CP, MS ... or even check out the MOs in the Consumer Corner, unless the road-show give "solid" free-gifts. (like the $99 lens you talk about ... I think it is advertised at $199 ... right?)

Roadshows (but not trade-shows), buying from the big electronic stores, normally are based on list or RRP (recommended retail price) price, which are fixed ... and the highest you can get in Singapore!

Good luck.

The difference is that roadshows normally bundle with a lot of accessories and is recommended to sell at RRP, so if you don't need the accessories, you can purchase from any shops cheaper.

If you need the accessories given, any roadshow is good enough.

Hi all,

Thanks Catseye and ESPN.

The roadshow offer is below :

http://www.nikon.com.sg/projectone/promotions/christmas05.pdf

As I know nuts about the DSLR, I'm afraid to walk in to those shops and do not know what to say and how to buy, and worst, get con by some not so reputable shops.

And yes, the stated price for the 55-200 is $199, but they can sell it for $99.

Hence, need your guys opinion again to confirm if the roadshow is a good buy?

Thanks guys

yongkh said:
Hi all,

Thanks Catseye and ESPN.

The roadshow offer is below :

http://www.nikon.com.sg/projectone/promotions/christmas05.pdf

As I know nuts about the DSLR, I'm afraid to walk in to those shops and do not know what to say and how to buy, and worst, get con by some not so reputable shops.

And yes, the stated price for the 55-200 is $199, but they can sell it for $99.

Hence, need your guys opinion again to confirm if the roadshow is a good buy?

Thanks guys

AFAIK, You can buy from Cathay (Penisula) or Alan Photo (Funan), both are quite good in reputation.. price range from $1288-1388 with or witout GST, usually bundled with 1Gb SD card, other than that no other freebies... but you are still eligible for the promo of $199 for the 55-200(must go and claim from NIKON). since you're saying their even give you 55-200 for $99! WORTHY!

Buy Buy Buy!!!:lovegrin:

I just bought my D50 for 1280 with 1 gig sd card and a bag.

erizai said:
AFAIK, You can buy from Cathay (Penisula) or Alan Photo (Funan), both are quite good in reputation.. price range from $1288-1388 with or witout GST, usually bundled with 1Gb SD card, other than that no other freebies... but you are still eligible for the promo of $199 for the 55-200(must go and claim from NIKON). since you're saying their even give you 55-200 for $99! WORTHY!

Buy Buy Buy!!!:lovegrin:

Temujin said:

don't want to buy 55-200 for 199?

dunno lei thinking of getting 50mm 1.8f prime instead. :think:

is 55-200 a good lens?

erizai said:
don't want to buy 55-200 for 199?

What I can say is with that price range, it is value for money... may be you can let this good chance to other csers if you don't plan to get one... surely people will thanksgiving for this x'mas...;p

haha yeah I was told that it was while stocks last.. so if need to buy need to grab now.. hehe

erizai said:
What I can say is with that price range, it is value for money... may be you can let this good chance to other csers if you don't plan to get one... surely people will thanksgiving for this x'mas...;p

Temujin said:

Hi Temujin,

So it seems to be cheaper to get from the dealer that u bought from.

$1,280 + $199 = $1,479, beats $1,488 + $99 = $1,587, saving of $108

Can you tell me which dealer you bought from? Or email to yongkh@yahoo.com if you can't post the dealer on this forum, thanks a lot.

Also, will you guys think the Tamron AF 70-300MM f/4-5.6 LD Macro - $220 (MS, Sept 05 - donchua) is a better buy then the Nikon 55-200 lens? If so, then I will forgo the Nikon $199 lens.

Thanks guys

bought it from tk photo technic... shaw towers 2nd floor.. their contact is in the stick thread for nikon prices in this forum

yongkh said:
Hi Temujin,

So it seems to be cheaper to get from the dealer that u bought from.

$1,280 + $199 = $1,479, beats $1,488 + $99 = $1,587, saving of $108

Can you tell me which dealer you bought from? Or email to yongkh@yahoo.com if you can't post the dealer on this forum, thanks a lot.

Also, will you guys think the Tamron AF 70-300MM f/4-5.6 LD Macro - $220 (MS, Sept 05 - donchua) is a better buy then the Nikon 55-200 lens? If so, then I will forgo the Nikon $199 lens.

Thanks guys

Temujin said:
bought it from tk photo technic... shaw towers 2nd floor.. their contact is in the stick thread for nikon prices in this forum

Thanks a lot, Temujin! U makes my day!

Oh, I believed the $1,280 is inclusive of GST!

Who should I look for when I approch the shop? Do I have to bargain my way through or they give everybody the same price?

Hope I'm not asking too much!

Cheers

they quoted me 1280 straight.. the owner won't try funny stuff. yes GST included

yongkh said:
Thanks a lot, Temujin! U makes my day!

Oh, I believed the $1,280 is inclusive of GST!

Who should I look for when I approch the shop? Do I have to bargain my way through or they give everybody the same price?

Hope I'm not asking too much!

Cheers

Temujin said:
they quoted me 1280 straight.. the owner won't try funny stuff. yes GST included

Thanks once again.

Am currently to see which lens I should be pruchased? (Nikon 55~200 or Tamron AF 70-300MM)

Anyone could tell me is the Tamron AF 70-300 f/4-5.6 LD Macro good? I want to shoot in Macro mode too.

Temujin said:

only cash or credit allowed?

TK foto is a very good store, they wont give you inconsistent quotes or try any hanky panky stuff with the goods. Customer service is top notch. Might not have the best prices around but they are normally a few dollars off, and that is worth the service that they give.

TMC said:
TK foto is a very good store, they wont give you inconsistent quotes or try any hanky panky stuff with the goods. Customer service is top notch. Might not have the best prices around but they are normally a few dollars off, and that is worth the service that they give.

Yes, I concur with your findings. I had a pleasant purchasing experience there too recently.

Wouldnt go wrong if the salesperson still remembers your name 4mths after your first visit. :D

yongkh said:
Thanks once again.

Am currently to see which lens I should be pruchased? (Nikon 55~200 or Tamron AF 70-300MM)

Anyone could tell me is the Tamron AF 70-300 f/4-5.6 LD Macro good? I want to shoot in Macro mode too.

I think you are better off with a Sigma 70-300 APO DG ($330).

Status
Not open for further replies.