Nikon or Canon

Status
Not open for further replies.

earthling82

Jan 5, 2009
Hi

I am a newbie to DSLRs and am contemplating picking up a new skill.

Been tracing nikon equipment for a while and am aiming at a D90. This mid-range will allow me a lot of leeway in learning and the basic video functions is a requirement of mine. Also my friend who is a pro recommended Nikon.

Reckon that my first DSLR is impt as it will affect which lens I buy in future. Dun want to regret and trade in later.

What are some of the competitive canon cameras and any opinions? Cheers :)

Last edited:
competitive cameras to the d90?

in this section, i'd recommend the d300, d700, d3 or even the newest and 'best-est' d3x! :D

competitive cameras to the d90?

in this section, i'd recommend the d300, d700, d3 or even the newest and 'best-est' d3x! :D

sorry. I shud be more specific

In terms of functions and pricing, what are some of the comparitive models for canon. And why would you still favor Nikon over canon?

Dun want to regret and trade in later?

anyway, most of the brands, their dslr technology are almost on par. u won't 'lose out' alot if u choose A brand from B brand.

but if u r the type of person who always want the best, state of the arts, u will jump ships once in a while when a certain brand 'create' a so-called better cam. then it will becoming a never-ending regret no matter which cam or which dslr system u start with.

hmmm, where do i buy a Nikon fax machine?

haha... favor nikon over canon? i think it is because u ask the question in a nikon forum. ;)

Hi

thanks

No lah i wun chase technology or the latest gadgets. Reckon that photography is more about the photographer also.

Well say given a Nikon D90 and a Canon 40D, which one will u choose?

Hi

thanks

No lah i wun chase technology or the latest gadgets. Reckon that photography is more about the photographer also.

Nikon D90.
I'm more interested in Sony A700 than Canon 40D, or even 50D in that matter.

Hi

thanks

nikon d90 or canon 40d... both, u also will not lose out alot. let me help u to make decision:
1. yr peers/friends, most of them use which system? it is always gd to have friends who use the same system as u cos can borrow lens/flash etc.
2. go n 'feel' the cam yrself, some people like the 'feel' of d90, some may like the 'feel' of 40d

p.s if u ask me, of course i choose nikon d90 cos i am using nikon system mah.

since you're asking in Nikon section, i'll advice you to get Nikon D90.

why don't you go over Canon section and ask.

and then go Olympus section, then Fuji section etc....... then you might change your mind about nikon or canon.

btw leica is very good!

Last edited:
since you're asking in Nikon section, i'll advice you to get Nikon D90.

why don't you go over Canon section and ask.

and then go Olympus section, then Fuji section etc....... then you might change your mind about nikon or canon.

btw leica is very good!

No lah I am looking at the Reasons why you would favor nikon over canon. You could also recall why you bought it in the first place over other brands and makes.

There must be some rational reasons and not because I want to belong to some forum.

nikon d90 or canon 40d... both, u also will not lose out alot. let me help u to make decision:
1. yr peers/friends, most of them use which system? it is always gd to have friends who use the same system as u cos can borrow lens/flash etc.
2. go n 'feel' the cam yrself, some people like the 'feel' of d90, some may like the 'feel' of 40d

p.s if u ask me, of course i choose nikon d90 cos i am using nikon system mah.

Hi,

I have friends from both camps :( That makes the decision even more difficult

Had tried the D80 on my hands and find the controls not too friendly. Need to try out more cameras to ascertain my thoughts.

Had tried the D80 on my hands and find the controls not too friendly. Need to try out more cameras to ascertain my thoughts.

like you said it: you have to try both to know which shoots you....

one man's meat could be another man's poison....

No lah I am looking at the Reasons why you would favor nikon over canon. You could also recall why you bought it in the first place over other brands and makes.

There must be some rational reasons and not because I want to belong to some forum.
I tossed a dice.

1 = Canon
2 = Nikon
3 = Oly
4 = Sony
5 = Pentax
6 = Panasonic

:D

I wouldn't get a DSLR if you needed video capability as it's limited at best.

I'll be extra nice and answer your question. ;)

One advantage that Nikon has over Canon is that Nikon tends to perform better at low light situations.

In low light, you may require a higher ISO camera setting to take the picture. The drawback of a high ISO is that it generates grainy pictures, technically known as noise.

In general, Nikon generates less noisy pictures as compared to Canon at higher ISOs.

Now, please go over to the Canon section and ask them the same question! hee hee.......

I'll be extra nice and answer your question. ;)

One advantage that Nikon has over Canon is that Nikon tends to perform better at low light situations.

In low light, you may require a higher ISO camera setting to take the picture. The drawback of a high ISO is that it generates grainy pictures, technically known as noise.

In general, Nikon generates less noisy pictures as compared to Canon at higher ISOs.

Now, please go over to the Canon section and ask them the same question! hee hee.......

Wah! u wan TS to be carpet bombed ah! :bigeyes:

:bsmilie::bsmilie:

Hi,

I have friends from both camps :( That makes the decision even more difficult

All cameras need getting used to. You shouldn't judge based on few minutes fiddling around with it :)

One reason I don't like Canon, the cameras can't be wireless flash commander O_O

I don't like Canon camera because it is so plastic and feel like a toy.

I carry my camera out almost everyday and half the time out in the field, i felt that nikon have better built.

At least you don't need to gaffer up the whole camera, unlike the Canon.

Status
Not open for further replies.