Nikon or Canon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alvinz

May 1, 2006
Hi guys,

Mind doing me a favour, i've a headache now of whether to choose between canon 350D or nikon D70s?

the best quotes i got was

350D kit @ $1749 with bag, 1 gig card and the software.

D70s kit @ $1988 with bad, tripod, 2 x 1 gig card, dry box and software

taking into account the difference in specs of the 2, which one should i go for? I understand that canon's digital processing is better than that of nikon's right? the same goes for its picture quality...

Anyone care to advise?

i dont think its rightly to say so. but, maybe the "shen" in this forum can say more. i newbie mah. but i believe both cameras are capable of producing outstanding pictures. I have understand that the limiting factor is, many a times, in the person that is holding the camera instead. after reading many ppl's reviews, and articles, i think there is more then jus picking up a camera and shoot and shoot. you still have to play around with the settings a bit, find the optimum setting for the occassion. also the right lens too. thats why i going to spend more time learning how to use my camera to get good pics.

i think besides reading up on more reviews, it would be good to go to the shops and try both cameras out. sometimes, its not only the quality, as i think they are closely the same. i think sometimes its also important that the grip, the functionality and the feel of the whole camera.

i remember seeing on the KRW site, can take CF and go and trial take pictures, then go home and see.... wonder can do it here in singapore or not..... maybe you can ask and try?

happy camera shopping! i love my D70s! so my vote is to D70s! maybe u can consider a 2nd hand one? I got my one 2nd hand, and is happy with it. though get an experience fren to help check it out. i managed to get my start up gear of 1 D70s, 1 kit lens, 1 tele, 1 bag and 1 dry box for about 1500, all 2nd hand with my good fren help of cos :)

neither...a pns would be better for u
if u need people to decide which system is better for u...
that mean u also not sure what to get

U hav to first ask urself...

1) Where do u stand dat u decide on e 2?
2) Wat system do u currently own or r familiar with?

Diz r critical s when u go into SLR/dSLR, u hop onto e system n not juz a 1 time purchase n datz it.

U also need to go down to e shop n test out which cam u r comfortable with. Dat is e feel of each in ur hands. Diz is a very important factor which most photog missed out s u'll b holdin e cam much more after purchase n it must b more comfortin each time u hold it.

Diz of course r juz some of e factors u need to consider apart fr price, features n capabilities of e cams. But they r e first critical areas u need to look into b4 makin ur decision... :)

As usual, the answer is "either one will do".
Go to a shop, ask for both cameras, play around with it, and see which one you like better.

Or you can ask the salesperson to make a recommendation for you. They should know better.

hmm... i myself feel that the build of D70s is more robust than canon's... really feels good handling one as compared to canon... but i find the images taken by nikon has a more grainy look to it than canon's...

btw, is canon's 20D definitely better than d70s?

alvinz said:
hmm... i myself feel that the build of D70s is more robust than canon's... really feels good handling one as compared to canon... but i find the images taken by nikon has a more grainy look to it than canon's...

btw, is canon's 20D definitely better than d70s?

If it is your opinion that this is the case, then it's a tossup and a personal decision between built quality or degree of grain, and it thus depends on where you want to put your priorities. I've never used the 20D or the D70s before, and have not read up enough about either, so I cannot advise on this.

Suffice it is to say that if you choose either one, you'll be in the safe zone. That said, it's very hard to find a lousy DSLR these days and because competition is so stiff, every company produces very nice models. Chances are high that none of these cameras will pose a limitation to your photography if you're only a casual photographer/ serious amateur.

Be aware that when you choose a DSLR, you are not only buying the camera body, but you are buying into an entire system. Therefore, also read up about what lenses are available, their strengths and weaknesses, and other accessories such as flashes etc.

I never went that far, but simply read reviews of the cameras and decided from there. My mind was made up even before doing a hand-on for each camera. Not advisable. :nono: If I had to do it all over again, I'd pay more attention to all aspects of research.

Decide yourself pls. It gona be your wife. Don let others choose the wife for you. :)

roadrunner_552 said:
Decide yourself pls. It gona be your wife. Don let others choose the wife for you. :)

:bsmilie: Humorously-put. But it's true.

fWord said:
:bsmilie: Humorously-put. But it's true.

;) yeah not everyone like to have the same kind of wife. keke

alvinz said:
Hi guys,

Mind doing me a favour, i've a headache now of whether to choose between canon 350D or nikon D70s?

the best quotes i got was

350D kit @ $1749 with bag, 1 gig card and the software.

D70s kit @ $1988 with bad, tripod, 2 x 1 gig card, dry box and software

taking into account the difference in specs of the 2, which one should i go for? I understand that canon's digital processing is better than that of nikon's right? the same goes for its picture quality...

Anyone care to advise?

go for the 350D. u get two extra megapixels at $200 less.

siao liao. another N vs C. the flame war is going to begin :bsmilie: to the threadstarter: do a search.

got headache choosing? buy both then.:bsmilie:
each system have their own good/bad, do research on internet and decide urself

u can get d70s for 1888 at best denki, with e free stuff u mentioned as well. can even request for a tripod. =P

hmmmm, sounds like it to me too.... haa haa.... read more, try more. best if got fren own either or both camera, then can take and try. or if you got money, rent them out and try :) for me, i not keen on the MP war, as i dont view them bigger than my 17"monitor and dont print them bigger than A4. so 6MP is good enough for me. anyway, i think both have its pros and cons.... :) got to figure out which systems u like and suit more!;)

zaren said:
go for the 350D. u get two extra megapixels at $200 less.

Cannot use that to decide. 2MP makes not much of a diff also...

Look at the complete system as a whole.

haha, kudos to danlin for letting me know another better deal!
Hmm... if the 2MP doesn't make much diff, then D70s seems like a better choice

hmm... does anybody know of better deals for D70s other than those mentioned above? Best if got installment plan then wun feel the pinch! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.