Nikon or Canon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

greyscale

Sep 1, 2005
Looking for budget SLRs and lenses, for beginner.
So far I've found Nkion F60 and Canon EOS 500QD that's within my budget on yahoo auctions, which one is better?
any other good deals?

Won't want to start a branding war here.

But Canon relatively cheaper, but the dark side... is where I belonged. You decide.

I think honestly on the lower end of the scale you'd be better off sticking with nikon. Even their cheaper bodies have certain functions, such as a spot meter, that are only available on high-end Canon bodies. You might be getting more mileage from a Nikon if your budget is low.

Both brand can take good photos.

If I am in your shoe with budget limit, I will go for the one that provide spot metering. After getting it, your might start thinking which film to use for different type of shooting.

Don't forget to reserve money for flash, tripod etc .... when you are ready to go further.

My 2 cents... both are good cam. Why don't you consider digital cam instead.

Out there.. you have Pentex, Olympus etc.. wat Darforce said is correct.. have some reserve for assessories..

greyscale said:
Looking for budget SLRs and lenses, for beginner.
So far I've found Nkion F60 and Canon EOS 500QD that's within my budget on yahoo auctions, which one is better?
any other good deals?

O.Oh...I smell trouble.

OK..
I would recommend neither. You're better off with a Nikon F601 or a Canon EOS5Oe. As I own one, my preference is for the F601 as it has everything you'll ever need and more. It takes a cheap cable release, has built-in flash functions e.g. flash compensation which will give any cheap TTL flash advance functions previously found on the more expensive models. Having said that, the older top of the line flash guns are so cheap nowadays (Bec of i-TTL) that this is no longer that much of an advantage.

The 601 has a true spot meter as opposed to the partial meter on the Canon but this isn't really a big issue as the partial meter works reasonably well.

The 601's AF is really slow in comparison to the current models. But in comparison to the F60 there might not be that much of a difference.

The 601 is built like a tank and will take a licking before you run into problems. The best part of the 601 nowadays is the price. You can get one for under $100 on Ebay if you are patient.
The Canon 50E is also about the same price second hand.

Do more research on both and take your pick. Both are good cameras.

what is your budget?

You might want to post a WTB in the B&S tread

I also have film camera body sitting in my dry cabi

Thread moved to Newbies Corner.

You can try doing a search in the forum. It's a hot topic. :p

My advice is to NOT take the F60 but instead look for a F65 as a minimum if you don't want to be plagued with lens and flash compatibility issues.

Only reason to go for the EOS500 or EOS300 is the size, if u prefer a small and portable body.

Otherwise, if u want lots of functions, shd go for EOS50 or the corresponding Nikons.. as film bodies are dirt cheap nowsaday. Post a WTB thread in the B&S, I believe u will receive a lot of response.

ortega said:
go 1 step higher F801/801s
or if budget allows F80

The 801/801s is nice but lacks a built-in flash (not so convenient for travelling and happy snaps). But it does take AA batteries which are easier and cheaper to find than the F601's Lithium batteries. The 801 lacks a spot meter. While the 601 and later 801s have got one. The 801/801s requires an electronic shutter release; while the 601 will take an ordinary screw in cable release. The 801 has slower AF compared to the F601 and F801s.

The F801 also has a known 'Err' bug. The body will freeze up from time to time displaying 'Err' in the LCD. The fix is to turn it off and on again. I believe this problem was solved with the F801s. The F601 doesn't suffer from this problem.

The F601 had an undeserved reputation of eating batteries. However, the problem lay with the users rather than being an actual bug, users were not installing the Lithium batteries in the chamber correctly (even though this point was highlighted in its manual). There is a ledge in the chamber on which you have to push the battery on to hold it securely in place. Failing to do this and letting the battery sit loose in the chamber, would drain the battery prematurely.

Another thing that drained the battery was a result of users releasing the builtin flash unnecessarily and leaving it in the popped up position. Doing this charges the cameras flash capacitor which drains the battery.

I generally get 40-50 (36 frame) rolls out of one battery with 50% flash shots on my 601 because I don't indiscriminately release the pop up flash.

Given the choice bet the F601 and 801/801s, I'd still go with F601. It's a better all round camera even though it was actually one tier below the 801/801s in their previous lineup. Nikon didn't extend the F601's lifecycle for no reason. It was produced between 1990 and 1997. Once a very popular camera indeed.

While the F801/F801s faded from the scene only after 4 yrs. (1988-92).

The F80 lacks an Ai metering tab so it will only work with AF lenses. You won't be able to meter with manual focus Ai lenses. So if you own or wish to use old Ai/Ai-S lenses, you'll be out of luck with the F80.
The F80 is as good as an F401 in this regard.

You may want to plan ahead.

Consider film SLR then DSLR.

Body is not a major investment, the lens are.

Try 2nd hand body with good lens then upgrade body but keep lens will be major saving.

Start either brand will likely continue, changing brand will be very costly.

Is not the brand, is the person behind the cam.;)

BTW, I used a F70 with a 3rd party 28-70mm F2.8 lens. Very happy with the results.

Tetrode said:
The 801/801s is nice but lacks a built-in flash (not so convenient for travelling and happy snaps). But it does take AA batteries which are easier and cheaper to find than the F601's Lithium batteries. The 801 lacks a spot meter. While the 601 and later 801s have got one. The 801/801s requires an electronic shutter release; while the 601 will take an ordinary screw in cable release. The 801 has slower AF compared to the F601 and F801s.

The F801 also has a known 'Err' bug. The body will freeze up from time to time displaying 'Err' in the LCD. The fix is to turn it off and on again. I believe this problem was solved with the F801s. The F601 doesn't suffer from this problem.

The F601 had an undeserved reputation of eating batteries. However, the problem lay with the users rather than being an actual bug, users were not installing the Lithium batteries in the chamber correctly (even though this point was highlighted in its manual). There is a ledge in the chamber on which you have to push the battery on to hold it securely in place. Failing to do this and letting the battery sit loose in the chamber, would drain the battery prematurely.

Another thing that drained the battery was a result of users releasing the builtin flash unnecessarily and leaving it in the popped up position. Doing this charges the cameras flash capacitor which drains the battery.

I generally get 40-50 (36 frame) rolls out of one battery with 50% flash shots on my 601 because I don't indiscriminately release the pop up flash.

Given the choice bet the F601 and 801/801s, I'd still go with F601. It's a better all round camera even though it is actually one tier below the 801/801s in their previous lineup. Nikon didn't extend the F601's lifecycle for no reason. It was produced between 1990 and 1997. Once a very popular camera indeed.

While the F801/F801s faded from the scene only after 4 yrs. (1988-92).

The F80 lacks an Ai metering tab so it will only work with AF lenses. You won't be able to meter with manual focus Ai lenses. So if you own or wish to use old Ai/Ai-S lenses, you'll be out of luck with the F80.
The F80 is as good as an F401 in this regard.
good information for the tread starter
since he/she is starting from scratch
i don't think he/she should too old lenses

I'd advise the threadstarter to take a good look at the following table if he's in the market for a nikon camera and decide which are the features he can afford to omit, taking special note of the lense compatibility:
http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/nikoncamera.htm

Personally, I'd recommend F65/75/80 as a good start that will suffice for quite a while until "pro" features are required.

Zerstorer said:
I'd advise the threadstarter to take a good look at the following table if he's in the market for a nikon camera and decide which are the features he can afford to omit, taking special note of the lense compatibility:
http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/nikoncamera.htm

Personally, I'd recommend F65/75/80 as a good start that will suffice for quite a while until "pro" features are required.

What are "pro" features btw?:think:

Tetrode said:
What are "pro" features btw?:think:
Exposure speeds exceeding 1/4000,Higher flash sync speeds, 1/3 EV compensation, Higher continous Shooting rate.

Basically, finer features that normally aren't required for normal shooting situations, but prized by people who push the limits of photography.

A beginner is better off with a newer camera that is compatible with most lenses in available in market today than an older body that can't function with AF-S, G, VR lenses which are prevalent and easily available.

Zerstorer said:
Exposure speeds exceeding 1/4000,Higher flash sync speeds, 1/3 EV compensation, Higher continous Shooting rate.

Basically, finer features that normally aren't required for normal shooting situations, but prized by people who push the limits of photography.

A beginner is better off with a newer camera that is compatible with most lenses in available in market today than an older body that can't function with AF-S, G, VR lenses which are prevalent and easily available.

On your point regarding compatibility with and market prevalence of AFS, G and VR lenses...sigh...sadly I have to admit that you are right.

But lenses with aperture rings still hold a firm place in my heart. I can do w/o AFS, VR and most of all G but not the aperture ring . To me, the F80, F75 and F65 w/o the Ai tab are "crippled" cameras and I would personally never consider them.

Status
Not open for further replies.