Nikon or Canon for newbies?? wat model and best price aniwhere??

Status
Not open for further replies.

forthinkids

Dec 30, 2008
Hi guys

i hav fren who's getting a dslr soon.
now the problem is, he's been asking me questions which i cant answer myself.
for i myself is new to photography...
would be great if u culd help me out here..

1- Nikon or Canon?

2- Model?
(Nikon d60, d90. Canon 40D or 450D etc...)

3- Where can i get the best deal?
(recently he went to COURTS to have a look)

4- With a budget of 1.5k, wats the best deal for a new comer?

thanks a million guys..
hope to get one by the weekends..

Hi guys

1- Nikon or Canon?

2- Model?

thanks a million guys..
1.5k for whole system?

2nd hand mostly if include flash and dry cabinet. if brand new most likely camera + 2 lens and the usual free gifts.

for price reference...http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=465257

Last edited:
Hi guys

1- Nikon or Canon?

2- Model?

thanks a million guys..

Avoid Courts.

also, consider Olympus, Sony, Pentax. They all have advantages over the nikon and Canon cameras, and have been winning a lot of awards.

Avoid Courts.

also, consider Olympus, Sony, Pentax. They all have advantages over the nikon and Canon cameras, and have been winning a lot of awards.

i was told to aviod courts but which particular shop shud i go and check things out.???

any recommendations???

Last edited:
good shops but expensive a bit.
okay okays shop but prices are srp.
chop new carrots shops but can offer lowest prices if know pricing.

see which one you want...

good shops but expensive a bit.
okay okays shop but prices are srp.
chop new carrots shops but can offer lowest prices if know pricing.

see which one you want...

why got difference???
hahah
can list a few shops for me to go check out??

thanks guys..
thanks a million... really really appreciate all ur help...:)

There are several price stickies in both Canon and Nikon threads, likely others as well. They also contain recommended shop lists. Check them out.

As for reviews, I find Anandtech's reviews somewhat lacking in the technical area. On the other hand, dpreview can be a bit overwhelming if you're not very knowledgeable about digital photography (the first review I read, by the time I finished digesting everything and could understand it, that model is almost obsolete :bsmilie:)

There are several price stickies in both Canon and Nikon threads, likely others as well. They also contain recommended shop lists. Check them out.

As for reviews, I find Anandtech's reviews somewhat lacking in the technical area. On the other hand, dpreview can be a bit overwhelming if you're not very knowledgeable about digital photography (the first review I read, by the time I finished digesting everything and could understand it, that model is almost obsolete :bsmilie:)

Yes, but I do like how Anandtech is not sponsored by any of the photo manufacturers. He gives a bit more of a "average user" approach to the reviews.

why got difference???
hahah
can list a few shops for me to go check out??

thanks guys..
thanks a million... really really appreciate all ur help...:)

Try the following shops, they have good reputation, and offer competitive price.

CP - Cathay Photo, #01-11/14 Peninsula Plaza, Tel: 6337 4274, e-mail: email@cathayphoto.com.sg

John - John 3:16, #05-46 Funan Digitalife Mall, Tel: 6337 2877 / 6337 1897, e-mail: richardgan@pacific.net.sg

Lord's - Lord's Camera, 304 Orchard Road #01-79 Lucky Plaza, Tel: 6235 4605, e-mail: lordscom@singnet.com.sg

MS - MS Colour, Block 711 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 8, #01-3501C, Tel: 6457 6380, e-mail: sales@mscolor.com.sg, web e-quote

Hi guys

1- Nikon or Canon?

2- Model?

thanks a million guys..

My views only:

1. Nikon or Canon - depends on friends with N/C gear available. No difference when it comes to images but to talk gear, you need kakis.

2. 40D or equivalent (crop sensor) - cheaper lens but full size and pro-level attributes ie. fast focusing, high resolution, relatively good noise control, more affordable as recently susperceded by 50D.

3. Buy used - look for equipment with warranty and lightly used condition

4. $1500 - used 40D ~ $900 and remaining look for medium zoom lens, depending on personal tastes/objectives

:) Get a 50D. Buy a good one so that you don't need to upgrade here and there. You can use it for a long time.

Do check out the price threads on each of the brands subforums as a guide before you go down to the shops.

Personally, shops I've tried and found that they give reasonable quote on asking (still need to bargin after that of course) :
MS color - though usually not the cheapest price
Cathay Photo - sadly usually in recommended retail price
Orient Photo

With a budget of 1.5K, I suggest you look at other brands as well. Pentax K200D body only is ~$700. A K20D body is around ~$1300. There are other brands, but I can only quote Pentax since I'm familiar with the price (as said, look up the subforums).

All brands are good, as you will see from the pictures taken by members of this forum. Its a matter of what system (ie. marketing, interface, image reproduction, quality, etc) you want to buy into.

Either N/C are good for starters ( and so are the other brands mentioned if you are also considering them )

Just get within the budget stated. Read up on the reviews by the various online sources; dpreview is one of my fav. Give the shops a call and check on the prices. Pay attention to the Classified section for prices of 2nd hand bodies which can give u a run for the money as well ( care in testing them prior to buying of course )

Remeber to go to the shops to try and feel the handling of the bodies. Some might be more contoured to your grip.

Ryan

:) Get a 50D. Buy a good one so that you don't need to upgrade here and there. You can use it for a long time.

No... a 50D needs very good lens pairing to work. Else, it is so good, it will bring out all the noise of a poor lens.

No... a 50D needs very good lens pairing to work. Else, it is so good, it will bring out all the noise of a poor lens.

Lenses don't have noise. Just poor sharpness.

Hi,
Most modern DSLR regardless of brand can produce very good images, but some may have limited range of lenses and accessories because they are not that popular (doesn't mean they are not good) at the moment. As a result, you might have problem finding the right lenses or accessories that you need (new or in the used market) at the right price in the near furure.

Anyway, IMHO, you might want to get a Canon DSLR. I suggest this not because I own a Canon DSLR, but because Canon got a large lenses range... from cheapo (some cheapo lenses are quite good... just not that fast and very plastic build) to expensive and also lots of third party lenses support it. As a result, you got lots of choice in lenses selection (new or used) in the near future if you need to get some addition lens.

IMHO, Nikon D40/D60 is not a good choice at the moment because the AFS lenses range are still quite limited and most are quite expensive.

Just my S$0.02.

Happy shopping and have a nice day.

thanks alot for all the overwhelming advise and recommendations.
really really appreciate it...

Lenses don't have noise. Just poor sharpness.

Lenses have unique qualities beyond sharpness (or lack of it). They do not produce noise. Agreed. But light passes through the glass, and the quality of light is altered by the glass.

If you have lousy glass, the light going through it will have poorer sharpness, less contrast, washed out colour amongst other things.

I read that the 50D has such a good CMOS that it picks up the bad stuff of poor lenses... Many adopters of the 50D complain that the camera produces 'noisy' pictures... while many sing high praises. Then one photographer pointed out that the 50D only produces noisy pictures if you have poor quality glass.

OK... I should not have used the word 'noise' in my original post, but you get what I mean. :)

I do not know why this happens, but I have some personal experience on this matter. I used to use the 350D for ages, and this camera gets rather noisy at ISO800 in low light. When I use the EF 17-85mm f/3.5-5.6mm IS USM at low light with ISO800, the noise level was high, and the images would not be usable without some post processing. But the noise level would be perfectly acceptable if I use my EF 35mm f/2 prime.

So... from what I gather from the reviews... if you want to get a 50D, you need a set of primes and/or L lenses to go with it. Else you risk many frustrating moments.

Last edited:
IMHO, Nikon D40/D60 is not a good choice at the moment because the AFS lenses range are still quite limited and most are quite expensive.

Strongly agree... the D40/40x/60 is not an ideal choice when you are expanding your equipment in the future.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.