Nikon newbee [35mm f1.8 or sb600???]

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks everyone i decided to but the flash.... either sb600 or di866....

SB900 is a ex & powerful flash but once you experienced the overheat issue in the middle of a shoot. hahaha.. it's time to panick. off themal temp also don't know when flash go BOOM.

nissin good, do consider Metz if you have the extra dough. cheers.

I haven exactly shot with the SB600 or the SB900, have tried the SB800 but tht one is discontinued so i wun go into that. But now i personally have the nissin di866 and for it's amount it's a damn good flash i tell you.

Almost as powerfull as the SB900 but for much lesser. The recycling time is fast, doesn overheat so easily (although it def will if you are shooting for weddings and events non stop) and the LCD screen is something diff. checkout red dot photo if you interested in it. Look for a guy called fisher.

My vote goes to getting the flash as well. You can save up for the 35mm later or get a 2nd hand one in under marketplace thread if u r lucky. But if u like shooting portraits, i'd recommend the 50mm f1.8/1.4 instead. Hope this helps.

Buy both.

Get the SB600/nissin 866 first.

After that, if you really want a portrait lens, get the 50/1.8 if you do not mind MF, or if you want AF on your D5k get the AFS 50/1.4. 35mm is too wide to be a good portrait lens. And if you go close, it will cause some elongating of the nose and results are less flattering.

actually you'd buy the 35mm not as a portrait lens but as a light walk around normal prime lens for DX the way that a 50mm is intended as a light walk around normal prime lens for full frames..here's a good read on why it's good to train using a normal prime lens:

http://www.vothphoto.com/spotlight/articles/forgotten_lens/forgotten-lens.htm

to quote him "images made with a normal lens have a natural and uncontrived look..It delivers a very natural, unforced perspective..."
i can relate to what he's saying as it's actually helped me a lot learning perspectives...when i used a zoom lens later on, i brought the habit with me of finding first a nice perspective by moving around before using the zoom to frame my subjects instead of just lazily standing and letting the zoom do all the work

35f/1.8.

It's better to maximise the features of your camera before playing with artificial light.. There is nothing wrong about primes, the only downside is that you need to walk around.. Flashes can get pretty intrusive and irritating if you keep firing it, even more so if you're a newbie.

Status
Not open for further replies.